Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Slipping off Charger Shelf - Unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Traded my 3 in for a Y, and looks like they've used the same docking shelf to hold the phone...but the new stock wireless phone charger takes up the full depth of the "shelf" the phone is ment to rest on. With any acceleration or the slightest bump, the phone slides down into the storage well. Makes it totally unusable unless you're standing still.

I had an aftermarket charger from Nomad on my 3 and it was much thinner and it worked fine. I've got an iPhone 11 w/ the stock apple case (very thin) so can't blame the phone.

Check out the pic and you can see how shallow the lip is with the charger.

Had a Tesla service guy look at it and he said it looks like a design flaw, hadn't seen it before.

Anyone else seeing the same thing? Anyone figure out how to get their phone to stay put?

Attachments

• IMG_2045.JPG
    IMG_2045.JPG
    500.4 KB · Views: 402
Traded my 3 in for a Y, and looks like they've used the same docking shelf to hold the phone...but the new stock wireless phone charger takes up the full depth of the "shelf" the phone is ment to rest on. With any acceleration or the slightest bump, the phone slides down into the storage well. Makes it totally unusable unless you're standing still.

I had an aftermarket charger from Nomad on my 3 and it was much thinner and it worked fine. I've got an iPhone 11 w/ the stock apple case (very thin) so can't blame the phone.

Had a Tesla service guy look at it and he said it looks like a design flaw, hadn't seen it before.

Anyone else seeing the same thing? Anyone figure out how to get their phone to stay put?
That is not what my charging pad looks like. I have a much bigger lip at the bottom. My samsung s10 and my wife's iPhone XR fit just fine and have never fallen off. I would contact your service center.

Mine is the same as yours, and my phone falls off immediately when I start accelerating, even in chill mode sometimes.

I talked about it in past posts, and everyone made fun of me (I know they were joking, but they seemed to not have this issue).

I thought it was only me, so I shut up. But glad I'm not the only one.

I've tried it with no phone case (iPhone X), and an iPhone 11 with a phone case, and then a random android phone I had laying around. All quickly slipped down into the bin below, and in one occasion just flew off under the seat.

The lip on my piece is much more substantial than yours. I have zero issues with the phone staying put. Sorry for the dark photos, I took the lip off for the first photo to try and give a better view of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200624_180136.jpg
    IMG_20200624_180136.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_20200624_180106.jpg
    IMG_20200624_180106.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 304
Can someone with a Model Y let me know what the inside of the lip looks like? A photo would be great!

I am trading in my Model 3 for a Model Y and i want to keep my Model 3 wired charging pad, but just checking to make sure it fits in Model Y, if that makes any sense...

I bought a Model 3 Wireless Charging pad but nevere used it, so i will be putting in my Model 3 upon trade-in IF i can use Model 3 wired charging pad in Model Y... lol

You have like no room to insert the phone, probably the wrong part number.

Fred

Very surprising. I purchased the official Model 3 Tesla Wireless Charger from the Tesla online store.
Model 3 Wireless Phone Charger
The lip is very secure. Granted this is a retrofit design. I would have exected the factory installed version to be at least as good if not better. Photo and unboxing/installation video below...
1A028E65-8F58-48A2-AAB7-2F2273B0FED2.jpeg

Official Tesla Model 3 Wireless Phone Charger

Here are photos of mine, any ideas?

The first few photos have the pad flipped upwards so you can see the lip. I actually have to keep it at this flat angle in order for the phone not to fall. Is that what everyone does?

The second set of photos shows when it's fully down. Is that angle way too steep?

20200627-_DSC7526.jpg
20200627-_DSC7527.jpg
20200627-_DSC7529.jpg
20200627-_DSC7532.jpg
20200627-_DSC7533.jpg
20200627-_DSC7534.jpg
20200627-_DSC7537.jpg
20200627-_DSC7539.jpg
20200627-_DSC7540.jpg
20200627-_DSC7541.jpg

Yeah...that one is messed up. Its like they put some kind of old stock lip on it designed for some other pad. This is what it should look like (I also put a EV wraps carbon fiber wrap on mine).

Interestingly....EV wraps assumed all of the dimensions were exactly the same from the model 3. However...the lip on the Y is actually bigger by 3mm from top to bottom. I gave EV wraps the new dimensions and they sent me two prototypes to try out until they got the dimensions just right.

And since new Model 3s also have the new wireless pad, they now have to deal with size differences between new and old Model 3s.

20200627_185815.jpg
20200627_185807.jpg
20200627_185801.jpg

Reactions: noshadow
Interesting, I have the one with the bigger lip, but when i started using it I didn't like it because the phone sat in it slightly, so you couldn't swipe up to unlock and iPhone with it sitting in there. Wonder if they tried to "fix" that with this new version? Guess this issue is even bigger if it slips off.

Yeah...that one is messed up. Its like they put some kind of old stock lip on it designed for some other pad. This is what it should look like (I also put a EV wraps carbon fiber wrap on mine).

Interestingly....EV wraps assumed all of the dimensions were exactly the same from the model 3. However...the lip on the Y is actually bigger by 3mm from top to bottom. I gave EV wraps the new dimensions and they sent me two prototypes to try out until they got the dimensions just right.

And since new Model 3s also have the new wireless pad, they now have to deal with size differences between new and old Model 3s.

View attachment 557457 View attachment 557458 View attachment 557459

Wow that is probably twice the size of mine. That seems so strange that there’s such a huge difference.

Wow that is probably twice the size of mine. That seems so strange that there’s such a huge difference.
Seems like there was an unintentional mixup with the parts inventory.
My guess is that the part that slides on creating the lip is the original one that was used in the Model 3 hard wired configuration where the backplane was not thick to accommodate the wireless components.

Reactions: noshadow and 03DSG