Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

phone unlock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At work, I park my car in an underground parkade one floor above my office. Depending on where I am in the office, my app would sometimes say that my phone key is connected or disconnected. My question is, if my phone key was connected to my car, can someone random who happens to try to open my door be able to do it? Or would the phone need to be directly next to the car to unlock the doors?

At work, I park my car in an underground parkade one floor above my office. Depending on where I am in the office, my app would sometimes say that my phone key is connected or disconnected. My question is, if my phone key was connected to my car, can someone random who happens to try to open my door be able to do it? Or would the phone need to be directly next to the car to unlock the doors?

My wife typically leaves her iPhone sitting on the kitchen counter just inside the door from the carport. Our Model 3 is on the carport, so it's about five feet away, with a wall in-between. Last week, after three months of having our Model 3, we discovered the car would unlock. Big surprise!

I'm amazed the car will unlock under these circumstances. It seemed to unlock about 50% of the time. So, we now keep her iPhone farther away. My iPhone is typically farther away.

And we turned on the PIN to drive feature, just in case.

• Informative
Reactions: sonrantos