Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone unlocks door but key card needed to drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the last week or two, our Model 3 has unlocked without a problem as we approach, but it requires us to touch the key card behind the cup holder to drive. This behavior is the same for both phones that are connected to the car, and before the last couple weeks we haven't had this happen in the two years we have had the car. Can anyone direct me how to fix it? Thank you.

Happens a decent amount of time to me

Cycle your phone radios by toggling Bluetooth/Airplane mode. Sometimes need to wait for Tesla app to request that BT needs to be turned back on - that’s when it’ll refresh the Car Key mode and allow you to change into Gear

This has been happening with my wife's iPhone XR frequently for the past three firmware updates now. Even completely removing the Tesla app (and all associated files) from the phone, and then reinstalling the app and re-pairing it with the car doesn't help. Made sure she was running the current version of the Tesla phone app, too.

No issues with my iPhone XR, but hers has definitely become a problem.

This is also an issue for my Model 3. Both girlfriends iphone and my Android will unlock car, but keycard needs to be placed on console to switch into drive.

I don't understand how bluetooth can allow the car to recognize the phone to unlock it, but NOT allow switch into drive. This seems almost like a new "policy" geared toward anti theft. This seems to have taken effect in the last month right after one of the updates.

I really wish we could see or download a list of all SW updates easily online because frankly I don't have time to view updates in the car when I need to go someplace and I'm presented with the update notificaiton screen. Also the update notification lists aren't searchable.

Could be due to body block if you have the phone in a pocket (especially pants). Most of the time this has happened to me, simply pulling my phone out of the pocket resolved that issue but, sometimes, waking the screen is required.

LE Bluetooth is very good but not flawless.

No one can offer suggestions if you don't state which version software the car is running, nor what phone model, or OS those are using.

If it's iOS, have you set the Tesla app Location Services for "Always"?

• Disagree
Reactions: skygraff
Apart from having Android again...

What's wrong with a phone that lets the user decide how loud he can have a bluetooth speaker turned up without turning it down randomly because the phone thinks they are headphones, uses some arbitrary estimation of how loud it is based on the volume of the phone itself, and a company that has decided its users are too stupid to decide volume levels and has removed the option to disable the restriction?

Or what about the fact that iphone has decided that if you have your apple watch on, that your phone will not play a notification, and will not allow users to make that decision themselves?

Or what about apple deciding that you are not allowed to do audio splitting when the phone is connected to the Tesla? Like you can't connect the phone to the car, but then have the phone audio ring when you get a text while the car's spotify is playing.

I can go on and on... I wanted the iphone thing to work, but the software on the phones is just garbage, and if you're an iphone user, I'd implore you to consider trying an Android to see how many more things you can do with them that you can't with an iphone. I gave iphones a try because my mac's are awesome... Apparently that awesomeness doesn't carry over to the iphone

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Make sure you have the following settings activated, especially location as Always:

09C8945E-B01B-4CD5-AC31-B61127A61FA1.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: skygraff
For the last week or two, our Model 3 has unlocked without a problem as we approach, but it requires us to touch the key card behind the cup holder to drive. This behavior is the same for both phones that are connected to the car, and before the last couple weeks we haven't had this happen in the two years we have had the car. Can anyone direct me how to fix it? Thank you.
We've had this issue for quite a while. It turned out to be due to an incompatibility or an instability in the Android version Bluetooth support. In other words the app requires the Bluetooth to operate properly to tell the car that this phone is actually a key. Update your phone operating system if you can and if that doesn't work, remove the phone and reconnect it.

Mine worked this morning and suddenly disconnected from the phone while driving. After pulling over to re-connect, the Bluetooth just kept searching - not finding any device - phone, watch, etc.
So, as I said above - the two button soft reset fixed it.