Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Voice Commands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Use to be I could say "call Joe mobile" and it would call the cell phone of Joe like it should do and the way siri works also. Now I get, Joe and then a list of mobile, work or home which I need to choose from.

The only number I can call without further intervention is if that person has only 1 number in my contact list such as when I ask it to call Jane who only has a cell phone, it dials it out immediately

When the car was new it worked fine but it has been a good 4+ months that it no longer works like it should. Thought an eventual update would correct this but it's been quite some time

Point is UI should be able to say "Call joe work and it should dial the work number without further intervention.

Are others seeing the same or is there a setting or is it just the way it is.

Are others seeing the same or is there a setting or is it just the way it is.

@Midnightsun you are not alone. I don't do a lot of calling in general and have only tried a few times since we took delivery about 4.5 months ago, but each time it has given me a list of numbers to tap on despite me specifying in the voice command. I didn't know that it has previously worked the way you described it having worked in the past. I wish it did again now.

Reactions: MikeR99 and Krock65
It gets even worse! I ask it to call John Doe Mobile, problem is John has a bunch of family members so I end up with a list of all the brothers and sisters and all have work, mobile or home to choose from. Worst part is John is the last person on the list and I have to scroll down to see it.

I used John Doe as an example but in real life it is my wife's name and all her family members and yes my wife is the last one on the list. This is what they call bleeding edge tech??? We are getting close to a year with this crap, way overdue for a fix!

Reactions: Krock65
After 2 months with my car and fighting this issue I finally did a search and discovered multiple threads going back years. This is silly. My old Ford works this way, every modern Android and iPhone works this way....but not a Tesla?

Oh, and there are several names that never seem to work correctly when voice dialing in the Tesla....they all worked in my Ford or on the phone itself. Just not not my amazing high tech car. But hey, my Tesla can fart and play supper mario. Why do I need to call my wife?

I think the problem is that the software department responsible for phone is staffed by a bunch of gamers uninterested in developing anything useful. Voice recognition technology is very old now. It should not take silicone (sic) valley's best and brightest to implement voice commands long ago available on other platforms.
Yo Elon! Less games, more utility.

Tesla has to be the only modern car where you can't say "Call Susie on mobile." It understands that you said "on mobile" and that the number you are selecting is labeled "mobile," it's just too stupid to put one and one together. I'm with @philw1776 in the belief that the programmers for this at Tesla just don't have any friends with work numbers and home numbers in their contact list, so they just assume its not a thing. Just like they assume that a new game on the Tesla is more important to Tesla owners then improved driving functionality. Yo, Tesla programmers, we aren't all 25 year old man-children, you know!

Alternatively, the programmers at Tesla may feel FSD is more important and therefore gets the attention.

>>Use to be I could say "call Joe mobile" and it would call the cell phone of Joe like it should do and the way siri works also. Now I get, Joe and then a list of mobile, work or home which I need to choose from.<<

FWIW, I've had my Y since 06/2020 and unlike the OP I have always had to pick the correct phone out of a list, it has never responded to "Call X mobile" by automatically dialing the mobile number. It's a pain for sure, but if I were king I'd instead prioritize initiating a call and hanging up by pressing a steering wheel button, that is a bigger pain. Eventually all will be fixed.

in real life it is my wife's name and all her family members and yes my wife is the last one on the list. This is what they call bleeding edge tech??? We are getting close to a year with this crap, way overdue for a fix!
Yeah, I created a separate entry for my husband called "my love" which is just his mobile number. When he calls me it says ICE because he's one of my ICE contacts, along with my son (who also appears as ICE when he calls so I never know who to expect when I pick up the phone or the listen to the text). But that's a phone issue (Android with Google Contacts.)

The outgoing calling using voice is a Tesla issue.

Yeah, I created a separate entry for my husband called "my love" which is just his mobile number. When he calls me it says ICE because he's one of my ICE contacts, along with my son (who also appears as ICE when he calls so I never know who to expect when I pick up the phone or the listen to the text). But that's a phone issue (Android with Google Contacts.)

The outgoing calling using voice is a Tesla issue.
That works fine just like I have a contact "Home" which when I say call home it does just that because like you it is only one number. One day they may fix it I hope.