Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phones won't connect to bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Picked up my model Y last week and struggling to get my phones to connect to Bluetooth. I've added the key to my phone fine and that works buy when trying to add the phones to make calls etc it won't connect on my android and can't even see it on my iPhone.

Anyone else having issues?

Not sure if any Android users are still experiencing their phone key working intermittently but Tesla app version 4.15.1 just arrived for me in the play store.

It asked me to grant permission to Nearby Devices which I think has changed in Android 13?

Hopefully that'll sort it.

WTF is going on
My 2023 MYLR got updated to version 2022.44.25.1 , after that the car was struggled connecting to my S21 Android-based phone
I restarted my phone several times. I even powered off my phone then powered on again, still can't connect phone to MYLR via Bluetooth
Phone key is still working
Tesla app is still working

WTF is going on. ... sorry guys/girls , I need to vent

WTF is going on
My 2023 MYLR got updated to version 2022.44.25.1 , after that the car was struggled connecting to my S21 Android-based phone
I restarted my phone several times. I even powered off my phone then powered on again, still can't connect phone to MYLR via Bluetooth
Phone key is still working
Tesla app is still working

WTF is going on. ... sorry guys/girls , I need to vent
Did you recently update to Android 13? I did last night and since then my phone key is not working. There is another thread about it.

There are several threads on this going on at the moment. If you have Android 13, it will break the ability to use the Phone Key. It looks like it started with the Pixel phones back in October and has now spread to Samsung since they just started rolling out that update a couple weeks ago. Most of us have tried the numerious "fixes" but nothing really works. I can't even get it to create the phone key anymore.
We are going to wait until they acknowledge this is a wide spread problem and work together to fix it. I don't see it moving quickly though.

Hi,

Picked up my model Y last week and struggling to get my phones to connect to Bluetooth. I've added the key to my phone fine and that works buy when trying to add the phones to make calls etc it won't connect on my android and can't even see it on my iPhone.

Anyone else having issues?
It's possible there is a problem with the BT antenna in the car .. make sure you can connect to other BT devices from your phone ok, and if so book a service appt to get it checked.

my phone key works OK
Tesla app indicated that it's connected to my S21, but I could not get the bluetooth to talk between MYLR and my S21
Something weird going on WTF
The Tesla app communicates with the car via both BT and the cell network (so that you can control the car from anywhere). So it can "connect" to the car even with BT not working from the app. The car lock/unlock does use BT but does not rely on the traditional "pairing" of BT devices. If you can pair both your phones to other BT devices (headphones etc) then it really looks like the cars BT is the culprit, possibly a non-functioning antenna but that's speculation (the car has multiple antennas for lock/unlock so that it can triangulate your position).

The Tesla app communicates with the car via both BT and the cell network (so that you can control the car from anywhere). So it can "connect" to the car even with BT not working from the app. The car lock/unlock does use BT but does not rely on the traditional "pairing" of BT devices. If you can pair both your phones to other BT devices (headphones etc) then it really looks like the cars BT is the culprit, possibly a non-functioning antenna but that's speculation (the car has multiple antennas for lock/unlock so that it can triangulate your position).
Thanks for Info. I have requested a service , scheduled for Dec.30. Will see what they say
Happy Holidays to U ALL

Reactions: drtimhill
Hello all:

This is my first post to this forum. I took delivery of a MYLR in early December 2022. I updated Tesla firmware to the latest version a few days ago. At delivery, I had Tesla set up my phone key. A separate bluetooth pairing for phone/media was not done at delivery.

Phone key has worked fine since day 1. I cannot for the life of me connect my P7 phone to the MYLR for media/phone functionality. I've tried a few of the standard tricks like power cycling the phone, turning on/off bluetooth. Not ready yet to do factory or network resets on my phone. So I then tried to pair my wife's Pixel 3a phone and it worked. I was able to play a tune via bluetooth in the car. It seems my Pixel 7 is the culprit here.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has a Pixel 7 phone that has successfully been paired (for audio/phone) with a MYLR.

Happy holidays everyone !

Recently my Samsung Galaxy S10 needs to be unlocked to allow the car to unlock. it's not all the time but it's regularly enough to be a real PITA. Tapping the phone on the side column works though.

Had the car well over three years though and am used to updates breaking this functionality. It gets fixed eventually.