TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Photo of Silver Model 3 in wheat field taken Aug or Sept 2015 ?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by HG Wells, Apr 5, 2016.

1. HG Wells

HG Wells Member

One of the photos of a silver model three was taken in a Wheatfield next to a maple tree that has green leaves. I'm wondering if this was taken in August or September 2015. The other alternative is that they flew the model three to South America and then took the photos.

If it was taken last year then they are much further along for the model three then I would've thought!

Could somebody post a copy of that picture. You can find it by going to the Tesla main site and clicking through their photos.

HG Wells

2. Tiberius

Tiberius Member

I haven't seen this specific picture but would assume It's possible that photoshoppage was involved.

3. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

Ridiculously excellent observation, especially the one where leaves are turning, meaning October/November latest. Good detective work!!!

Attached Files:

4. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

I don't think California sees as much visible seasonal changes as other regions with more dynamic climate range.

5. HG Wells

HG Wells Member

6. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

I guess photoshop. It's not hard to do well. I am not so sure the tree reflections are correct in the overhead shot. Look at where the tree shadows end vs the reflection on the roof. IDK, it might be real, but why take the chance?

• Like x 2
  7. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Nobody thinks this are just AutoCad or similar photorealistic/CGI renders? At the first TMC Connect (Teslive) the Autocad presenter said that the majority of automotive imagery we see is CGI.

• Like x 1
  8. ibdb

ibdb 3 Car Garage and a 5 Car Life

My kids and I were once chosen to be on the cover of a local magazine's fall issue. We were wearing sweaters and jeans on one of the hottest days in July. The cover shot had us surrounded by trees with the leaves turning.

9. xmetal

xmetal Member

There is a huge possibility that those are completely cgi. The photorealistic quality is excellent and not hard to accomplish these days. Google for articles about how most images in the Ikea catalog are completely cgi.

10. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Yeah that ^^

11. kaess

kaess Member

image.jpeg
    I agree. The front 3/4 view of the silver model to me looks very much like CGI.

12. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

These three shots are not photoshopped. Shadows and lighting are very consistent with the scenery. Even the reflections. Professionally lit and shot on site. The black one, not as sure.

We do photoshop work with people and product all the time including manufactured shadowing all the time. I think these are legit.

If we can get the/any EXIF data that might help to confirm, but my guess is this has been stripped already.

• Informative x 1
  13. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

This one is photoshopped.

14. Newb

Newb Member

Someone on twitter claims those pictures were actually taken in the very heartland of premium sedans: Germany.

Marcel Kaiser on Twitter

• Informative x 2
  15. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

Would be super cool if they had been manufactured at the secret European factory.

16. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

#16 AustinPowers, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    I didn't know about the Twitter feed, but that is what I thought immediately when I saw the pictures. At least the ones of the silver Model 3 "in the fields". The landscape, the road markings and road side markers are typical for Germany. I would also agree with Mr. Kaiser that it is a landscape specifically in the eastern part of Germany. Like he says, that tower is a typical GDR communications tower and those country alley lanes with trees on either side are also still very common there. My wife is from Kamenz near Dresden (actually the town where Daimler has its Accumotive battery facility for their future EVs) and many country roads there look exactly like those in the pictures of the silver Model 3 (apart from the one that looks as if it's racing through the mountains of course ;)).

Then again, Tesla could have done this as an inside joke: look at Germany's EV future! Why else use pictures that show a structure as easily identifiable as that com tower? The could have just panned a little to the left and the tower would not have been in sight. I think it was deliberate actually.

They might have just taken pictures of those spots (possibly with an inconspicuous Model S "stand-in") and then photoshopped the Model 3 into them. After all, who believes they would have transported a top secret Model 3 to Germany just to take some marketing pictures?

17. erthquake

erthquake Member

The one of the 3/4 angle with the tower at the far right looks photoshopped to me. The back tire and bumper are blurry while the front of the car is in focus. If the blur at the back of the car is due to a short depth field (wide-open aperture), then the road shoulder and grasses should be more blurry than they are in that image.

18. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

I agree, as a hobby photographer I couldn't get this to match. One thing is getting the car sharp and the background blurry due to panning (i.e. following the car with the camera during the shutter opening, getting it sharp but the background blurry due to motion and the other due to aperture).

My take is this: Some of the images are CGI. Some are photos of the same three prototypes/mules that were shown at Hawthorne. However, I'm pretty sure they didn't bring the silver car to Germany to do a photoshoot (I could be wrong) but I think they did the shoot perhaps at their own Hawthorne or Freemont facility, likely outdoors, and then photoshopped it on to another scenery image. The nod to Germany is subtle but not without intention.

• Like x 1
  19. Brick_top

Brick_top Member

these images scream CGI to me.

20. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

All those 3 images were Photoshopped, in my opinion.