Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Photo of Silver Model 3 in wheat field taken Aug or Sept 2015 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the photos of a silver model three was taken in a Wheatfield next to a maple tree that has green leaves. I'm wondering if this was taken in August or September 2015. The other alternative is that they flew the model three to South America and then took the photos.

If it was taken last year then they are much further along for the model three then I would've thought!

Could somebody post a copy of that picture. You can find it by going to the Tesla main site and clicking through their photos.

HG Wells

Ridiculously excellent observation, especially the one where leaves are turning, meaning October/November latest. Good detective work!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 8.34.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 8.34.17 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 229
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 8.33.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 8.33.55 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 231
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 8.33.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 8.33.35 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 201
My kids and I were once chosen to be on the cover of a local magazine's fall issue. We were wearing sweaters and jeans on one of the hottest days in July. The cover shot had us surrounded by trees with the leaves turning.

There is a huge possibility that those are completely cgi. The photorealistic quality is excellent and not hard to accomplish these days. Google for articles about how most images in the Ikea catalog are completely cgi.

Ridiculously excellent observation, especially the one where leaves are turning, meaning October/November latest. Good detective work!!!

These three shots are not photoshopped. Shadows and lighting are very consistent with the scenery. Even the reflections. Professionally lit and shot on site. The black one, not as sure.

We do photoshop work with people and product all the time including manufactured shadowing all the time. I think these are legit.

If we can get the/any EXIF data that might help to confirm, but my guess is this has been stripped already.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Someone on twitter claims those pictures were actually taken in the very heartland of premium sedans: Germany.
I didn't know about the Twitter feed, but that is what I thought immediately when I saw the pictures. At least the ones of the silver Model 3 "in the fields". The landscape, the road markings and road side markers are typical for Germany. I would also agree with Mr. Kaiser that it is a landscape specifically in the eastern part of Germany. Like he says, that tower is a typical GDR communications tower and those country alley lanes with trees on either side are also still very common there. My wife is from Kamenz near Dresden (actually the town where Daimler has its Accumotive battery facility for their future EVs) and many country roads there look exactly like those in the pictures of the silver Model 3 (apart from the one that looks as if it's racing through the mountains of course ;)).

Then again, Tesla could have done this as an inside joke: look at Germany's EV future! Why else use pictures that show a structure as easily identifiable as that com tower? The could have just panned a little to the left and the tower would not have been in sight. I think it was deliberate actually.

They might have just taken pictures of those spots (possibly with an inconspicuous Model S "stand-in") and then photoshopped the Model 3 into them. After all, who believes they would have transported a top secret Model 3 to Germany just to take some marketing pictures?

Last edited:

The one of the 3/4 angle with the tower at the far right looks photoshopped to me. The back tire and bumper are blurry while the front of the car is in focus. If the blur at the back of the car is due to a short depth field (wide-open aperture), then the road shoulder and grasses should be more blurry than they are in that image.

The one of the 3/4 angle with the tower at the far right looks photoshopped to me. The back tire and bumper are blurry while the front of the car is in focus. If the blur at the back of the car is due to a short depth field (wide-open aperture), then the road shoulder and grasses should be more blurry than they are in that image.

I agree, as a hobby photographer I couldn't get this to match. One thing is getting the car sharp and the background blurry due to panning (i.e. following the car with the camera during the shutter opening, getting it sharp but the background blurry due to motion and the other due to aperture).

My take is this: Some of the images are CGI. Some are photos of the same three prototypes/mules that were shown at Hawthorne. However, I'm pretty sure they didn't bring the silver car to Germany to do a photoshoot (I could be wrong) but I think they did the shoot perhaps at their own Hawthorne or Freemont facility, likely outdoors, and then photoshopped it on to another scenery image. The nod to Germany is subtle but not without intention.

Reactions: erthquake