TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Photo of X with cameras for side mirrors.

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ecarfan, Jun 1, 2014.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

All of the photos on Tesla's homepage were updated several months ago to show it with cameras only. Presumably Elon either expects the federal laws on mirrors to be changed by the time it reaches production, or Tesla to be granted an exception.
    Walter

3. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

So is the X going to have more cargo space than an S? What are the expected benefits?

4. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

AWD, 3rd row step in seating to name the major ones.

Link: Model X | Tesla Motors

AG4uRyX.png

5. ecarfan

Yes I realize that Tesla changed how they portray the X on their website but those images don't like like real life photos. The image I linked to in my OP is the first real life photo of an X without side mirrors.

That is very cool, but at this point no side view mirrors aren't legal. I hope Tesla is not being overly optimistic. I assume Tesla is confident they will be allowed to use side cameras instead of mirrors.

6. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Member

That photo is from 2012.

7. ecarfan

8. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Not all images have cameras - https://www.teslamotors.com/own#/model-x

9. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Interesting. All of the ones on the Model X page are mirrorless:

Model X | Tesla Motors

That looks like it's the old pre-update version of the falcon door click-and-drag picture at the top of your page. I wonder why they didn't update that one?
    Walter

10. timf

timf Member

Regardless of what pictures are shown now, Elon reiterated today that the production Model X looks different than anything we've seen thus far. The pictures on the website are the concept, and the production model is supposed to look even better. You can bet that it'll be designed with cameras in mind, but until that's approved it will have mirrors.

11. StephRob

StephRob Member

Any speculation as to where the images from the rear view mirror cameras will be displayed? The obvious assumption is that they will be given permanent real estate on the main screen. I'm not sure I'm a fan of that though. If I select the back up camera view while I'm driving my Model S, I find it very disorienting and kind of gives me motion sickness. I don't know why that image of backward motion within the cabin has that effect and motion in the regular outside rearview mirrors does not. Maybe it's because the motion in the outside mirrors is surrounded by other motion (because it's outside the window) and my brain expects the environment inside the cabin to be still. Anyone else have this experience?

12. fengshui

fengshui Member

The only data point we have is the drawing on the Model X page. It shows the camera images displayed on the dash screen, where the nav and media info is displayed on the S. However, that's a 2 year old artists representation. They could have a totally different system now.

13. hileyms

hileyms Member

I spoke to someone in the London UK office 3 months ago and he told me it would be as per the drawing on the web page. As you say it may have changed since then.

14. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Would be nice if the turn signal stalk had 3 positions. 1st position would show you (on the dash) the camera view of the side your pressing. 2nd, turn signal while you're hold it (with camera). 3rd, turn signal stays in that position (with camera).

Of course regulations may dictate that they are on all the time.

15. Username

Username Member

Personally, i don't like the Model X. It has less storage than the model S and looks like a Kia Sorento! Ugh!