TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Photo Sync Tint - Front Windshield

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Len, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Len

Len Member

My scheduled delivery is in three weeks :biggrin:; I want to get all my windows tinted with PhotoSync (45), including the front windshield (75). Has anyone tinted the windshield with Photo Sync? If you have, do you get a “halo effect” at night with headlights of oncoming traffic or have you experienced any issues?

Thank you

2. nkohlimd

nkohlimd Member

I have mine tinted identical to your specs....no issues at all, love it.......

3. liuping

liuping Active Member

No halo effect on the front at all.

The halo is in back window is because there is a very small air gap between the tint film and the glass when it goes up and over each defrost wire.

I don't think that has anything to do with Photosync tint specifically though.

4. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151, Model 3 #1576

We have the same on our windshield - can't even tell it's tinted (except for the heat reduction!). Very happy with that choice. :)

(We have Madico Wincos 60 on the sides and 30 on the back... Although the price was much better, I wish I had done Photosync on all the windows...the Wincos sometimes looks a little hazy.)

5. Tommy

Tommy Member

I have Photo Sync 75 on my front windshield and get the halo effect only when wearing polaroid sunglasses (Jim Maui), otherwise no halo effect night or day. I had 3M Crystalline on my front windshield and switched to Photo Sync as the Crystalline gave the appearance of looking through a film of plastic and had a haziness to it when driving directly into the sun. Maybe the Crystalline was installed incorrectly; in any case I am happy I made the switch.

6. rsampsonjr

rsampsonjr Member

I have PhotoSync 35 on the side and rear windows, PhotoSync 75 on the windshield and pano roof. When wearing polarized sunglasses I would notice some other cars windshield showed a halo effect, but it didn't bother me. With non-polarized glasses, it just looks clear.

7. Len

Len Member

Thank you for the information, it was very useful. I decided to get the windshield tinted based on the input.

8. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

I too have 75 on the front windshield. Day or night, we cannot tell it's there. Makes a dramatic difference in keeping the car cool. During summer, before we had Photosync installed, we constantly had the AC level set to 10-11. After it was put on, we were typically between 1-2.

Attached Files:

9. apvbguy

apvbguy Banned

FWIW: I was quoted a cost of about $600 to do a MS, how does that sound?

10. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151, Model 3 #1576

For all the windows with Photosync? That's a screaming deal. If it's just the front windshield, that's really high.

I paid $350 for Photosync just on the front windshield...

11. apvbguy

apvbguy Banned

when I get the MS at the end of the month and bring it in for the tinting we'll see if they deliver

12. liuping

liuping Active Member

$600 is normal for all the windows except the front. The front adds $350.

13. lloyds

lloyds Active Member

Everything here in Cali costs more. Gas, real estate, you name it. That said, Photosynch's premium is well worth its admission. I also have 75 on the windshield and wouldn't use anything else going forward on all my new cars.

14. lloyds

lloyds Active Member

Heres my photosynch 75 on the front. Haven't washed the car in about a month because of the rain so the windshield's pretty dirty. Looks and feels much better than the Huper tint on my other cars.

Attached Files:

15. Len

Len Member

Looks great, I'm definitely going to tint the windshield.

Thank you

16. jeffaa

jeffaa Member

I have PhotoSync 35 on the side and rear windows, PhotoSync 75 on the windshield. Day or night I can't tell it's there unless 1) I'm wearing polarized sunglasses; or 2) it's very hot outside but the car inside stays cool, it's very noticeable then.

17. apvbguy

apvbguy Banned

what happens when you wear polarized glasses? I am planning on getting my windshield done and all my sunglasses are polarized, will this be a problem?

18. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

I too am curious about the polarized glasses with the photosync

19. gnelson

gnelson Member

Actually it does because high quality film such as Photosync is thicker than the inexpensive films. Thicker film isn't as conforming as the thinner films.

I prefer the better quality film and consider the small gaps as a reasonable compromise.

I have Photosync 75 on the windshield of my Model S and on my 2012 Volt and am quite satisfied. I don't think there is a competitive product that will perform as well as the Photosync 75 for the windshield. Huper Optic is a good competitor for the other windows. I opted for Photosync on all my Model S windows and Huper Optic on the other windows on the Volt. I am pleased with the film on both cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Polarized glasses work fine in My Model S for viewing through the windshield. I do not like polarized glasses for reading the instruments or monitor. I also have problems reading my Garmin Edge 800 when riding my bicycle with polarized glasses.

20. jeffaa

jeffaa Member

It's not a problem at all. I just see a faint rainbow sometimes. I noticed it happens a bit more with some glasses than others. I have a third pair where I have to tilt my head 45 degrees to see any rainbows at all, so I use those in the MS. So I think it just depends on the glasses.
    As far as the screens, I have no problems with polarized glasses.