Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Photos of car interior taken apart for sound deadening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rick -- Another amazing project. I'm starting to wonder if you've spent more on aftermarket work then you did on the car.

I'm afraid to add it all up:)

- - - Updated - - -

Impressive job on the sound dampening Artsci. Mark of a true afficionado! By any chance are you at the OBX? If so, I was wondering where you charge on the way down? I'm wanting to make the run from NNJ down the Maryland shore across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge & Tunnel. I guess I could Supercharge in Delaware but I think that's cutting it close. Thanks.

I'm in Emerald Isle on the point. People down here think of it as the southern OBX but for us it's just Emerald Isle -- we've been coming here for over 25 years. Will you be nearby?

On the way down I supercharged in Glen Allen and Rocky Mount. The trip was easy.

Last year, with no superchargers, it was way more complicated: two days, overnight at an RV park, and several other issues.

I don't think it would make much difference as the chargers are liquid cooled anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

I would actually like to see some DB meter readings before and after on the same road, same speed, same conditions etc to see if it makes a measurable difference.

Are you sure the chargers are liquid cooled? source of info?

- - - Updated - - -

Impressive job artsci! The pictures of the factory mounted sound deadening look very similar to those of my 1960s cars that I used to tear down and renovate. In the Model S I had imagined and expected something more CAD and spaceship like of all kinds of multi density layered materials of incomprehensible shapes...

Those are great pictures!
With all of the "stuff" taken out of the car, can you offer any insight as to any improved potential solutions to the lack of 3rd row ventilation? Meaning any places to add any sort of air duct or conduit between the 2nd and 3rd rows? Maybe under the seats??
Thanks!
As photos of the interior disassembled are useful for a number of purposes for we modders, I thought it would be useful to post Don Sambrook and Bert Miller's work on sound deadening my Model S. I found these photos incredibly helpful. I've divided these in sections: trunk, floor, doors, front roof, and frunk. The shots are pretty obvious but I've added commentary where appropriate.

Artsci
What is protruding from the left side of the Frunk?

An inverter with two 120V outlets for powering standard 120V devices like a small vacuum cleaner.

- - - Updated - - -

Those are great pictures!
With all of the "stuff" taken out of the car, can you offer any insight as to any improved potential solutions to the lack of 3rd row ventilation? Meaning any places to add any sort of air duct or conduit between the 2nd and 3rd rows? Maybe under the seats??
Thanks!

Haven't really give that any thought but will.

Like I suspected before you installed the sound dampening material, the bigger problem is the lack of dual pane laminated glass on all of the windows and pano roof. If someone would make aftermarket dual pane laminated glass for the Model S, then you might get a truly quiet car.

Are you sure the chargers are liquid cooled? source of info/
Yes I am 100% sure they are liquid cooled. Look at artsci's pictures of the chargers under the back seat. There are black coolant lines going in one side and out the other. The other wires going in and out of the charger would be low voltage control, AC in and DC out. I have had one of the chargers in my hands as well as have seen them being built/tested on the production line at the Tesla Factory in Fremont.
My old Ford Ranger OEM EV had an air cooled 5KW charger and it had LOUD fans on it, where the Tesla as well as our Leaf has liquid cooled chargers so are almost silent when charging.

the Tesla as well as our Leaf has liquid cooled chargers so are almost silent when charging.

Funny that the Leaf would have a liquid cooled charger, but not a liquid cooled battery.

- - - Updated - - -

Like I suspected before you installed the sound dampening material, the bigger problem is the lack of dual pane laminated glass on all of the windows and pano roof. If someone would make aftermarket dual pane laminated glass for the Model S, then you might get a truly quiet car.

I just looked at my pano roof and there are definitely two plates of glass sandwiched together. You can see it pretty clearly if you vent the sunroof and then look at the side cross-section.

I'm afraid to add it all up:)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in Emerald Isle on the point. People down here think of it as the southern OBX but for us it's just Emerald Isle -- we've been coming here for over 25 years. Will you be nearby?

On the way down I supercharged in Glen Allen and Rocky Mount. The trip was easy.

Last year, with no superchargers, it was way more complicated: two days, overnight at an RV park, and several other issues.

No - we're way north in Duck. A SC in Norfolk would be perfect...we avoid I95 like the plague, especially around DC.

Super cool pics! Where did you have this work done?

Yes, could you please provide contact info for these chaps who did the work.

NEVER MIND!!! I read your other post :)

Don Sambrook's shop in Manchester, Maryland

Sound Deadener Showdown | Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information

My question is... if I were to have a Reus sound system upgrade and Don Sambrook sound deadening treatment, which one should I do first? (Which one would make it tougher on the other to install?)

Last edited:
Yes, could you please provide contact info for these chaps who did the work.

NEVER MIND!!! I read your other post :)

Sound Deadener Showdown | Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information

My question is... if I were to have a Reus sound system upgrade and Don Sambrook sound deadening treatment, which one should I do first? (Which one would make it tougher on the other to install?)

I don't think the order of the work would make much of a difference, at least for the installer. But I would do the Reus system first, as some of the sound deadening work focuses on reducing door and other resonances produced by the speakers.

I have purchased the sound deadening materials from Don Sambrook, of Sound Deadener Showdown, and am in the process of installing them in my Tesla.

I already have Tesla's Panoramic Roof Sunshades, and have found that the cheapest, quickest, simplest, and possibly most effective step in making my car quieter is placing Thinsulate Acoustic material above the roof sunshades. I can easily remove the Thinsulate any time I want to use the sunroof; both removing and reinstalling the Thinsulate takes less than a minute. I am amazed how much quieter this makes my Tesla. The black side of the acoustic material faces downward and blends in with the sunshades (albiet blocking 100% of the sunlight), and even though the white side of the acoustic material is pressed against the glass, is does not show from the outside.

I have purchased the sound deadening materials from Don Sambrook, of Sound Deadener Showdown, and am in the process of installing them in my Tesla.

I already have Tesla's Panoramic Roof Sunshades, and have found that the cheapest, quickest, simplest, and possibly most effective step in making my car quieter is placing Thinsulate Acoustic material above the roof sunshades. I can easily remove the Thinsulate any time I want to use the sunroof; both removing and reinstalling the Thinsulate takes less than a minute. I am amazed how much quieter this makes my Tesla. The black side of the acoustic material faces downward and blends in with the sunshades (albiet blocking 100% of the sunlight), and even though the white side of the acoustic material is pressed against the glass, is does not show from the outside.

Very interesting. Can you post some photos of the Thinsulate in place?

You may also want your SC to do the wind sound fix to the pano roof and front appliqué documented in this thread.

Have you taken post-install sound readings yet? I'm curious to know the numbers. Thanks.

I have pre-install sound readings but have not been able to take post-install readings, as I want to do them over the same route in the same conditions. I'm on vacation now in North Carolina so I won't be able to take the new readings until I return home in two weeks.

Here's what I reported in my earlier post:

Tire noise and resonances generated by road bumps are much lower. The car just seems to even more smooth over the road. In general the background lower-end resonances seems to be the biggest reduction. The car is noticeably quieter in almost every circumstance. My first 30 miles were on unfamiliar roads, but when I got on roads I drive every day the difference seemed even more dramatic. Better yet the Reus sound system sounds even better, with even deeper bass and greater clarity in the mid tones (the mass loaded vinyl and CLD tiles in the doors helps a great deal here).

After the 400 mile drive to NC I can say without question that the biggest issue now is wind noise over the pano roof and windshield. The wind noise is noticeable over 50 mph. Below that speed the car is as quiet as I think it can get. Of course, it's not perfect but I think it's as good as reasonably possible.

Yes, I posted them on another thread and here they are:

I have the first before and after results. I'm not an expert and I'm not sure what all of this actually means but there are some sizable reductions in the readings.

I took a number of readings on other routes before the sound deadening work was done so I'll do some additional testing to see what I get. To be fair the readings can change based on weather and a variety of other unmanageable variables, but the readings confirm what I'm hearing -- a much quieter car.
Before After
Date14-Aug9-Sep
Time6:23PM6:21 PM
RouteOffice to homeOffice to home
SOUND LEVEL METER
Average level dBA6746.5
Instant level aBA47.446.3
Max Level dBA97.795.4
Min level dBA34.16.1
NOISE DOSIMETER
Projected DOSE6.99%1.33%
Projected TWA Level dBA70.858.9