Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Photos of charger installations at private parking spaces in HK apartment blocks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those of you who have successfully installed a Tesla charger at your own parking space in an apartment block in HK, I would greatly appreciate if you can share some photos of your charger installation. It would be a huge bonus if you don't mind also sharing the contractor used (Chong Chi, Shun Hing, EV Power, etc), cost details, installation date and apartment block/residential estate installed at.

Will be interesting to see the various ways the chargers are installed in differing parking space locations/conditions (i.e. mounting on wall, post, etc). Also to see how the chargers are locked (e.g. stainless steel box with key) and evidence of the quality and workmanship of the installations.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and photos!

Hi,

This is my installation -- 40A single phase. This is a private parking space so I didn't need any security features installed. My building's main switch room is on the second floor, so the cable needed to go through two floors/ceilings to get to my parking spot on the ground floor.
The contractor I used was Wing Hung Water & Electric Management Co., which was (is?) on the Tesla Recommended Contractor List for Hong Kong Island. As far as I can tell, they're a one-man-band, so I'm not sure he can deal with lots of paperwork etc. from a large property management company.
Cost was $8,500, and it took ~1.5 days after a free inspection. Relative to some other installations, it seems $8,500 may have been a bit high, but when this was installed back in late July 2014, this was the cheapest of four quotations. The other three quoted me $16,300, $26,000, and $30,000 for the exact same work. I have no idea about workmanship -- all I can say is it gets the job done.

Hope this helps.

IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_1058.jpg

This is my installation -- 40A single phase. This is a private parking space so I didn't need any security features installed. My building's main switch room is on the second floor, so the cable needed to go through two floors/ceilings to get to my parking spot on the ground floor.
The contractor I used was Wing Hung Water & Electric Management Co., which was (is?) on the Tesla Recommended Contractor List for Hong Kong Island. As far as I can tell, they're a one-man-band, so I'm not sure he can deal with lots of paperwork etc. from a large property management company.
Cost was $8,500, and it took ~1.5 days after a free inspection. Relative to some other installations, it seems $8,500 may have been a bit high, but when this was installed back in late July 2014, this was the cheapest of four quotations. The other three quoted me $16,300, $26,000, and $30,000 for the exact same work. I have no idea about workmanship -- all I can say is it gets the job done.

Hope this helps.

Hi AppleFan,
It helps a TON! Thank you so much for sharing those incredibly valuable info and pics.
The installation looks tidy and professional and for a very reasonable cost. I'm sure in my estate they would probably require the black cable to be painted white to match the wall color. Agree with you that a one-man-band company may have trouble dealing with lots of paperwork that's usually required by big estate developers. But perhaps he's gained more experience at that such that newer jobs are easier for him to handle since he can reuse paperwork/templates from past jobs. I would definitely like to contact Wing Hung for my installation.

Would you know how long the cable runs were (switch room to parking space and any other runs)?

Again, thanks a TON for sharing this. Much appreciated.

When/if I get my charger installed, I will definitely share photos and other info here.

Hi,

Hope this helps.

Thanks @applefan, this is very similar to what i want to do at home, EV Power quoted $60k, cable run is slightly longer at 25m (max). Contractors would quote fancy things like cable tray ... etc even if clipping on wall is perfectly acceptable. They would also quote ridiculous price for coring a hole through floor slab.

Too bad it doesn't look like I can install mine at home as JLLMS still tries to rip us (all owners) off by proposing to use our reserve to do something fancy at the switchboard although nobody else other than me has a Tesla.

Thank for showing the willingness to help. Yes, the serenade is a very new apartments twin towers, build by Hong Kong Land. Management is actually appointed by Hong Kong Land. The management office claimed that there are limited idle power lines that the building has had from the building switch room, so, if I take one for installing a tesla charger at my parking lot, then a power line less, and they have concern if this is fair to other owners who may have similar need in future. Also, they suggested if I take the power line, and that will also cause future issue to building management if they need the power line for other purpose. I am willing to pay installation fee to install charger in my parking lot, but i am not getting anywhere after talking to management office for 6 months. Any help you can offer will be very much appreciated. Wilson

Thank for showing the willingness to help. Yes, the serenade is a very new apartments twin towers, build by Hong Kong Land. Management is actually appointed by Hong Kong Land. The management office claimed that there are limited idle power lines that the building has had from the building switch room, so, if I take one for installing a tesla charger at my parking lot, then a power line less, and they have concern if this is fair to other owners who may have similar need in future. Also, they suggested if I take the power line, and that will also cause future issue to building management if they need the power line for other purpose. I am willing to pay installation fee to install charger in my parking lot, but i am not getting anywhere after talking to management office for 6 months. Any help you can offer will be very much appreciated. Wilson

OK noted that. Mentality, arguments everything they said is the same. I bet they will spend the next 6-12 months investigating options, doing owner survey, having owners' meetings then decided to upgrade the incoming switchboard to allow for possible future applications of submeter for EV charging. For you to NOT repeating my mistake I suggest you to contact EVPower and request them to quote for the service they will contact/negotiate/find their way out with HKLand. EVPower, if they see potentials (my wild guess, e.g. enough units in the estate, mid-upper class who can afford a Tesla ... etc) they'll find a way doing the business. It's their business anyway!

My place has only 68 units, just another mile going up along Tai Hang Road so we are neighbors!

Good luck.

OK noted that. Mentality, arguments everything they said is the same. I bet they will spend the next 6-12 months investigating options, doing owner survey, having owners' meetings then decided to upgrade the incoming switchboard to allow for possible future applications of submeter for EV charging. For you to NOT repeating my mistake I suggest you to contact EVPower and request them to quote for the service they will contact/negotiate/find their way out with HKLand. EVPower, if they see potentials (my wild guess, e.g. enough units in the estate, mid-upper class who can afford a Tesla ... etc) they'll find a way doing the business. It's their business anyway!

My place has only 68 units, just another mile going up along Tai Hang Road so we are neighbors!

Good luck.

thank you, neighbor! Very useful advice.

Share my experience.

I was working on seeking approval for charger installation for the last 6 months. I am member of the management committee. I just got it approved and the works will be completed in two months time.

Our estates is lucky that we have a spare 250A 3 phase supply un-used in the last 40 years and HKE confirms that it can be used if we apply for it. That is enough for 50 car parks and we have only 96 unit in our estates. Even under this circumstances, during the last 6 months, there was debate on fairness to all owners.

Finally, I propose to the management committee that I will undertake to remove the installation at our cost in the future at anytime as requested by the management committee. Then all problems solved. I believe that it may take another 50 years for 50% of the car in our estates become EV.

the management company will always be on safe side.

Hi,

Hope this helps.

Hi Apple Fan,

I am new to this forum and my family has just purchased a Model S delivering by August. I have not yet contacted any contractor for installing the wall charger but would like to contact Wing Hung for a quote. May I have the contact of the company please? thanks very much in advance.

Share my experience.

I was working on seeking approval for charger installation for the last 6 months. I am member of the management committee. I just got it approved and the works will be completed in two months time.

Our estates is lucky that we have a spare 250A 3 phase supply un-used in the last 40 years and HKE confirms that it can be used if we apply for it. That is enough for 50 car parks and we have only 96 unit in our estates. Even under this circumstances, during the last 6 months, there was debate on fairness to all owners.

Finally, I propose to the management committee that I will undertake to remove the installation at our cost in the future at anytime as requested by the management committee. Then all problems solved. I believe that it may take another 50 years for 50% of the car in our estates become EV.

the management company will always be on safe side.

thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

My brother advised that the management company at Serenade isn't their subsidiary so they don't have influence over them.

Called management office again today. They are now proceeding to installing a power line to every car parking floor. I think that is good news for EV users at Serenade.

Called management office again today. They are now proceeding to installing a power line to every car parking floor. I think that is good news for EV users at Serenade.

That's fantastic news, Wilson. Really happy for you! Just when you think the situation is hopeless it turns around completely - great! I wonder what made the MO change their stance. Do you know how many individual chargers can be supported on each floor? I also wonder who their contracting out to do the electrical work (e.g. EV Power?). Am just curious.

That's fantastic news, Wilson. Really happy for you! Just when you think the situation is hopeless it turns around completely - great! I wonder what made the MO change their stance. Do you know how many individual chargers can be supported on each floor? I also wonder who their contracting out to do the electrical work (e.g. EV Power?). Am just curious.
I think the MO is working it out with EV Power.