TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Photos of first test of rear lighted T on car

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by artsci, Jun 1, 2014.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#1 artsci, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    Tested the beta of the rear lighted T tonight and snapped a few photos. The set-up was rather crude (the T and arch were temporarily glued in place and the wiring was outside the car) so the photos don't do it justice. The test was to evaluate the color tone of the red LEDs to be sure they matched the tail and brake lights and also to test the brightness of the T at both levels -- with rear running lights on and brakes applied. The color match is nearly perfect but the lower brightness level needs to be reduced 10-15 percent to match the rear running lights. With brakes applied the brightness match is quite good.

Here are a few photos. Regrettably the camera does not capture the full effect. But even with my crude set up it was quite cool.

_DSC4885.jpg

_DSC4884.jpg

2. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Nice. I have the front T; would enjoy being on the list for the 'brake light' rear one as well. Al

3. Liz G

Liz G P03056

Very nice.

Can't wait to see the final product.

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

There won't be a list this time -- they'll go into production as soon as we iron out the remaining details. This time we'll have an installation video by the time we take and ship orders.

5. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Vendor

Hawthorne, CA adjacent to the Supercharger & Desig
    This is looking great! Curious, will the red light stay a continuous brightness level or will it match the running lights when they are on and intensify once the brakes are pressed?

6. artsci

artsci Sponsor

It will match the running lights but then brighten to match the brake lights when applied.

7. Dart

Dart Member

#7 Dart, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    I applaud the ingenuity! Prolly order one myself ...

8. drtko147

drtko147 Member

artsci,

Looks good.

9. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

Will this T have the same trouble the front T has with Signature models (namely that the curvature of the T is different so it won't work on the Sig)?

Thanks!

10. tezco

tezco Sig P85

I was disappointed about the Sig incompability up front, but this looks great! Hope it works for us.

11. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

I believe the issue with the sigs was the difference in the nosecone. I would be surprised if the rear hatch is shaped differently.

12. Zextraterrestrial

are you going to be showing your mods at TMConnect? you have come a long way since last year:smile:
    there is probably someone driving who has them all if you aren't. pretty cool!

actually today I was at a SC talking to a man who just drove from Boston to the San Francisco area. we were both making the Las Vegas to Gilroy stretch and he saw some of my mods and said it would be cool to have a lighted T on the front. I told him to check out this place again :wink:

13. Fonz19

Fonz19 Member

Looks Great Im interested,

14. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

Artsci,

it it looks like you also did not re-attach the chrome pieces, am I correct? If so, how will this affect the appearance when these are on?

15. artsci

artsci Sponsor

For this test I did not remove the original chrome pieces -- just stick the lighted ones on top of them. That was all I needed to do for this pre-production test. Next time I'll do the full install.

16. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

This looks amazing and I'm very likely to get one once available. Are you aware of any legal issues with extraneous lights on the rear of a vehicle?

17. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I don't think this will be a problem at it works in sync and will have the same color and light intensity of the rear running lights and brake lights. If it was a different color that would be serious problem.

18. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Woah, that looks wicked. Well done! I'm not a DIY'er, but if I were. . . .

19. Caloncho

Caloncho LongerTelomeres?

Artsci,
    great looking rear T
    definitely I want one!

20. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Two of the final pre-production prototypes are on the way to me for final installation on my car and one other. Assuming all proves ok, production will begin and we'll begin taking orders in early July.