Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Photos of inappropriate UK Supercharger usage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
We need a thread to compile evidence of inappropriate Supercharger use i.e people blocking stalls etc. Some Superchargers are now open to all EVs and there is a fear that problems will occur. If this turns out to be the case then put a photo on here, with registration blurred.

Mod comment:
This is for showing evidence of inappropriate use, for general discussion about the opening up please use this thread:

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_20220519_185918.jpg

I appreciate this is the “wrong” side, but they don’t have a choice due to the charge port placement. Tesla are well aware of this and have chosen to accept this will happen. Is there something other than “wrong side” being reported here?
True. Driver has no choice ... however 2 stalls are now unavailable rather than 1 for Teslas ... but good to see there are no Teslas needing to queue due to plenty others being available.

I appreciate this is the “wrong” side, but they don’t have a choice due to the charge port placement. Tesla are well aware of this and have chosen to accept this will happen. Is there something other than “wrong side” being reported here?
They have a choice not to use the charger 🔌 😹 will be interesting when there are even just 5 charging at the same time

"Inappropriate" can also mean bays being blocked in my opinion.

I've seen a few photos already, but to be honest short of posting every one I come across I'm not sure what point it proves. I'm not sure it's valid to say "if this thread remains empty we'll know it's not a problem", to be fair, because this isn't the only forum on the internet, this thread might not even be seen by people who have spotted people doing this. Also, they might not have been in a position to, or were otherwise uncomfortable about taking a photo.

If you insist on some photos, I've attached some...

Attachments

• 282666437_10159317818003717_6377124632983931083_n.jpg
    282666437_10159317818003717_6377124632983931083_n.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 255
  • 282429374_10159317819178717_2253770605547360736_n.jpg
    282429374_10159317819178717_2253770605547360736_n.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 251
  • 52084643099_36410dfd0a_b.jpg
    52084643099_36410dfd0a_b.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 256
Could we make this thread pinned?

No thanks. I've bene on other forums where the whole of first page is filled up with all sorts of pinned posts.

A single (Wiki) post, pinned, of "Useful links" would be handy. @VanillaAir_UK (I think?) had a useful post of links on a post of "2021 delivery dates", or something like that, if someone is looking for some material

Inappropriate should mean like that 'kerb' tweet - a car parked entirely sideways blocking multiple bays.

A car with the charge point positioned on the 'wrong' side so they use up two bays is not inappropriate - by definition of Tesla opening them up to non-Teslas, not just 'non teslas with the charge port on the rear left/front right'

exception to this would be if they're spacing themselves in such a way as to amplify the issue. Eg

if the bays are like this with the | line being the charger:
1|2|3|4|5

BMW rocks up in bay 2:
1|B|3|4|5

Now Tesla can't charge in bay 1 but it can in 3/4/5.

Now an ID3 turns up and parks in bay 4:
1|B|3|V|5

Now no Tesla can charge but there are three bays technically empty. The ID3 is parking incorrectly (or at least impolitely). It if parked in bays 3 or 5, it would leave slots available for Telsa (or any other car with a left sided charge port)

1|B|V|4|5 (here tesla can charge in 4)
1|B|3|4|V (here tesla can charge in 3)

It'll definitely lead to occasional head scratching and checking as you arrive to see which free bay is actually free or not really

Last edited:
Reactions: Cardo and Sean.
Inappropriate should mean like that 'kerb' tweet - a car parked entirely sideways blocking multiple bays.

A car with the charge point positioned on the 'wrong' side so they use up two bays is not inappropriate - by definition of Tesla opening them up to non-Teslas, not just 'non teslas with the charge port on the rear left/front right'
You are quite right of course ... I should have perhaps named this thread "Photos of Challenging UK Supercharger usage due to opening up to other EV brands" ...

If the only photos are of cars using the SC legitimately and no consequent reduced access for Teslas then that should be a relief to us all. I'm finding it hard to imagine there won't be issues once things get busy. It seems there are few other makes that will not end up taking up 2 stalls due to not many having either rear left or front right port locations. There's not much leeway even for a Tesla!

I agree. Tesla obviously understand this and have factored this into their decision and clearly hasn’t changed their thoughts on opening up the entire network in the Netherlands.