Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Photos - Teal & black vinyl wrapped 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should start by saying...I'm a fan of bright colored cars! So when I took delivery of my 90D, I immediately took it to get wrapped. I also had the 19" cyclone wheels powdercoated a glossy black and the windows tinted. The vinyl colors are 3M Ocean Shimmer (Satin) and Avery Satin Black. We did a chrome delete, left a few bits in chrome although the jury is still out on blacking out the rest. (Some photos are pre-window tint)

Loving every minute of driving her :) (As a courtesy to me, I'd ask that people with negative opinions maybe skip posting their comments...my style is a bit eclectic and this wrap is exactly what I wanted and I love it!)

23129849563_2f6ad9f72d_k.jpg
tesla tint.jpg
23674285641_b3e25f3731_z.jpg
23674339941_94bc2d63a1_z.jpg
23730547976_5e3e219a41_z.jpg

Last edited:
Thread title should be: "WARNING, teal and black .. blah blah. .." Ha, just kidding, but I won't be wrapping mine. Wrt the black, one of the features that sets the MS apart, especially if you have the chance to view them from above, is the pano roof. The dark glass all thru the center really says, "this is a Tesla" (ModelX will do the same) I guess that means I Like It!

I have to agree with Mr X. That doesn't look good imho either. Although the job itself seems expertly done, and the blue is awesome, the black areas just don't gel like they do on cars like the 458 where the shaping of the body lends itself to such a colour scheme. Just my 2 cents of course ;-)

Perhaps they could have blacked out parts of some of the side panels as well, to give it a more organic, flowing look, something like this:

tesla%20tint.jpg

Mind you, I am an absolute dummy when it comes to wrapping, so perhaps something like this isn't even possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yannick
Hmm... seems when you post something regarding looks, everyone has an opinion.

I love the color and I think it looks pretty good as is, though I agree that the color transition should follow the lines of the car, which isn't always the same as the body panels.

Any solution for the ultrasonic sensors?

Hmm... seems when you post something regarding looks, everyone has an opinion.

I love the color and I think it looks pretty good as is, though I agree that the color transition should follow the lines of the car, which isn't always the same as the body panels.

Any solution for the ultrasonic sensors?

There is that phrase...opinions are like a-holes...everyone has one but we don't need to hear them, heh. I respect that everyone has the right to post their opinion on an open forum of course, but I definitely would ask folks as a courtesy to me...that they try to avoid insulting my own personal taste. I know that I'm a bit eclectic with what I like and that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think she is the most beautiful Tesla I've ever seen and she's just about perfect. I worked hard to be able to afford a car like this and customize it to my own liking and I'm proud of her!

The sensors were just less reliable when wrapped. I know some people have wrapped theirs with no issue but it just wasn't working when we tried. I've considered some sort of accent stripe that would incorporate them and camoflauge them as well but wasn't able to come up with something. I do need to find a solution for the mirror when they fold in since there's some chrome exposed when that happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice... I'm getting mine wrapped in purple soon. Love that blue color, so purrty!

Oh I can't wait to see! Purple was one of my top contenders for color. I saw a chameleon purple camaro recently that looked pretty awesome: DSC_3964 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The sensors were just less reliable when wrapped. I know some people have wrapped theirs with no issue but it just wasn't working when we tried. I've considered some sort of accent stripe that would incorporate them and camoflauge them as well but wasn't able to come up with something. I do need to find a solution for the mirror when they fold in since there's some chrome exposed when that happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I can't wait to see! Purple was one of my top contenders for color. I saw a chameleon purple camaro recently that looked pretty awesome: DSC_3964 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
OMG :love: That purple chameleon looks so much better than my matte purple! I don't think I could have justified the price to go chameleon, however.

Interesting... I didn't think about how the wrap would affect the sensors. It's a good thing I won't be using summon much but will have to see how it affects AP. Yikes...

That blue is absolutely spectacular. Thank you for showing us. What do they call that color?

This is called Ocean Shimmer by 3M. Here are some other examples: ocean shimmer vinyl wrap - Google Search

I was debating between this color and Avery's Blue Lagoon which is also very pretty. In person, the Ocean Shimmer had a slight touch more green than the Blue Lagoon. avery blue lagoon wrap - Google Search

I love Matte looks but opted for Satin all around after seeing some Matte Black in person, wasn't quite the right look. The satin does a really great job at concealing dust and it doesn't look dirty nearly as quickly as a glossy color, in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Title of thread by Lauren has the color as Teal but I find it more towards blue...should we call Teal blue (as wikipedia states).

Lauren correct me if I am wrong...:tongue:

Wikipedia says this:

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teal_%28color%29

You're totally right about that...it definitely looks more blue in certain lights! I can't get any pictures that I like on my iPhone since they definitely come out blue, but I think in the sun it has a definite teal hue to it...although not quite as teal as the link you posted. So perhaps...blue with a slight green tint? :)

The wrap and colors looks great.

Really sorry to hear about the accident. I would be very interested to know whether the repair process is any different given the wrap. Do they completely remove the entire wrap, fix the vehicle and then wrap again or can a portion be repaired? Also, how does insurance handle this? Do they cover the wrap as well?

I'm considering getting mine done in Matte Orange and would also be interested in your experience with blacking out the chrome trim. How much of the car needed to be disassembled and is there any risk in this process?

The wrap and colors looks great.

Really sorry to hear about the accident. I would be very interested to know whether the repair process is any different given the wrap. Do they completely remove the entire wrap, fix the vehicle and then wrap again or can a portion be repaired? Also, how does insurance handle this? Do they cover the wrap as well?

I'm considering getting mine done in Matte Orange and would also be interested in your experience with blacking out the chrome trim. How much of the car needed to be disassembled and is there any risk in this process?

I'll definitely let you know. My wrapper says she'll really only need to re-wrap the parts that were hit so her estimate will be low. She's getting something together for me to get to my insurance company. One issue is that anything re-painted has to sit for 30 days before she can wrap it. Something about gasses in the paint that need to settle?

Here's a video of someone else doing some chrome deletion wrap work on a Tesla: Tesla Model S P85D Chrome Delete - YouTube My wrappers asked for permission to remove some small parts in order to wrap them better, which I gave them...but in the end they really didn't do it at all, minus the emblems and whatnot. They weren't able to remove the back chrome bar (that says tesla on it) and said they believe something changed with the 2015 and weren't able to get it off like they have in the past for older teslas. I wasn't too worried about it...said I'd leave it as is for the time being and might be back if I changed my mind.

Here's my thoughts on a wrap: It can't hurt. If you hate it...just have them take it back off. You won't hate it though...you're gonna love having a unique color. The only downside is that every time you go out to your car when it is parked in public...you will startle some dude trying to take stealth pictures of your car when you walk up. I caught a girl taking a selfie with it last week. I waited until she finished before I walked up, heh.

Nice to know that one is a "hater" just because one doesn't agree with the OP 100%.
I agreed in that I think the blue is an awesome colour, just in my opinion I disliked certain areas where the black and blue borders met in a way that looked not as organic as on cars that were designed from the get-go for a two-tone effect.

@Lauren: I love that blue, and just because I think your car could look even greater (to my eye) with the changes I drew up in my crude Paint-based picture, doesn't mean I am a hater. Far from it. And sorry to hear about the accident. That always sucks, especially when you love your car so much. A similar thing happened to me when my car was almost brand new. Always gut-wrenching.