Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Physical buttons in Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aren't we getting very hypothetical again? I don't think glancing at the screen for 2 or 3 seconds every few minutes (if even that much) will yield the same eye strain as staring at a computer screen, phone or iPad. I also don't see installing physical switches to emulate actions in Tesla's software being "straightforward". It's not likely to be impossible, but I can't see it being a walk in the park either.

Its not so much eye strain its the sensitivity to bright light that causes these symptoms, I have the same problem with the Alpine's and JVC"s in the roadsters etc. I usually leave them off at night.

Communication protocol is all CAN-BUS, there are thousands of products that convert CAN signals to be triggered off switches etc.

Having read all this, it still seems to me:

1. The steering wheel buttons will control all the most common functions. I don't touch the display in the Prius at all other than to set the Nav destination.
2. I always had more problems typing on the phones with keyboards than I do on the iPhone.
3. In the Prius I have to look for the physical buttons (other than the steering wheel ones) because I use them so seldom.
4. The buttons on the screen appear to be large and easy to hit.

So I don't have any problem with dumping the buttons. I suspect as time goes on, that there will be "accessibility" settings for handicapped drivers. Sometimes those settings work well for others too.

FWIW I have been using a touch screen alpine deck for about 8 years, I got used to it very fast and can operate it just as easy as any other physical button on my dash. Given its only part of what is on the S screen but I don't doubt it will become part of muscle memory quite quickly.

I'm looking forward to seeing how customizable the screen is; I'm really hoping for something where you can place virtual buttons and tie them to various functions. My hope is to be able to configure the screen with several large buttons for functions I might want to use while driving; then I don't need to look even for two seconds; you can see a lot without looking, so I'm sure I can tap the top/bottom/left/right sides without looking, and once I learn the functions which I programmed there, it'll be simple muscle memory while driving (like with physical buttons).

There is also the possibility to use multi-touch gestures on the screen as a no-look option.

P.S. Also, this. If I could program a few touch buttons, plus have customizable gestures . . . that's tons of functions. And what'll I be doing while driving? Probably just opening/closing roof, volume control, mute, temp/fan control. Anything else, it seems like I'd need to look to see the result, so physical buttons wouldn't minimize the distraction anyway. Methinks.

I am guessing he is talking about peripheral vision and "Not looking" as meaning looking directly at the screen?

Yes, thanks. Isn't that what looking means--aiming your eyes and focusing on something? You see things that aren't directly where you're staring. Looking and seeing aren't the same thing, last I checked. ;-)

Kinda like people talking about physical buttons so they can use them without having to glance away from the road. If the giant honking 17" screen had several soft (touch) buttons around the edges, it would be easy to hit them without glancing at the screen.

Methinks, anyway.

Yes, thanks. Isn't that what looking means--aiming your eyes and focusing on something? You see things that aren't directly where you're staring. Looking and seeing aren't the same thing, last I checked. ;-)

Kinda like people talking about physical buttons so they can use them without having to glance away from the road. If the giant honking 17" screen had several soft (touch) buttons around the edges, it would be easy to hit them without glancing at the screen.

Methinks, anyway.

What about not looking or seeing a button...with physical buttons it is easy to find via fingers, press, tactile feedback and then have it execute. With soft touch buttons around the edge it is possible you may not know which button you hit unless each button is assigned a pre-determined differentiated sound that is played after pressing the button.

What about not looking or seeing a button...with physical buttons it is easy to find via fingers, press, tactile feedback and then have it execute. With soft touch buttons around the edge it is possible you may not know which button you hit unless each button is assigned a pre-determined differentiated sound that is played after pressing the button.
Like I mentioned in a previous post. :)

Yes, the distinction I had in mind with physical buttons was literally being able to operate them with your eyes closed. No peripheral vision involved at all.

I'm thinking only like 4 buttons (one at each edge, or one per corner)...really can't see (ahem) how I'd hit the wrong one. But who knows what'll really be possible. On the other hand, the only thing I mess with when driving usually is my iPod (shh, don't tell), if anything, so maybe I'm naive about what I'd "need"/want to mess with in a car like this, which has all sorts of things that my very basic car doesn't.

Yes, the distinction I had in mind with physical buttons was literally being able to operate them with your eyes closed. No peripheral vision involved at all.

I get that, really. Just approaching it from a non-physical perspective. Although I'm not sure how much I really would need to see, if the virtual buttons were at the four corners (or four edges)...I can feel around the display, if I really want to ignore my peripheral vision.

But I don't know what'll really be possible, and I seem to have few needs compared to some of y'all when it comes to things I want to do while driving. Maybe I'm short-sighted (ha!) about what I'll need.

I get that, really. Just approaching it from a non-physical perspective. Although I'm not sure how much I really would need to see, if the virtual buttons were at the four corners (or four edges)...I can feel around the display, if I really want to ignore my peripheral vision.

But I don't know what'll really be possible, and I seem to have few needs compared to some of y'all when it comes to things I want to do while driving. Maybe I'm short-sighted (ha!) about what I'll need.

all I really want to do when i get in my vehicle is adjust the seat, mirrors, turn the ac/heater on. When driving I may re-adjust the mirrors, heater/ac, change the radio presets/source, turn on the wipers, heated seats, garage door opener....Everything else I do not use frequently. Physical buttons for these items would be the best case scenario, for me personally. A single soft button may be able to do some of these items but I prefer a physical programmed buttons (especially with all that unused console space). Would not mind at all some small buttons located on the bezel of the display that were programmable.

Great list! I thought it would be interesting to break it down and see what we know so far:

all I really want to do when i get in my vehicle is adjust the seat, mirrors
Done automatically for you if you have the Tech Package. Otherwise, hard buttons on the side of the seat for the seat, and a conventional 4-way hard button on the driver's armrest for mirrors.

turn the ac/heater on
Model S has thermostatic controls, so that should be automatic as well. Controls are at the bottom of the 17" screen so pretty easy to hit, probably.

When driving I may re-adjust the mirrors
Really? Anyway, conventional as noted above.

heater/ac
I expect frequent adjustment to be less common with a thermostat (as compared to my RAV4-EV with its slider controls), but again hopefully the position at the bottom of the screen makes them easy to deal with. It also remains to be seen what can be done with voice command and the rollers on the wheel

change the radio presets/source
I mostly listen to podcasts in the car, and I think that the next/prev and volume roller on the steering wheel will be good for this. Will be interesting to see how the source selection works.

turn on the wipers
On the stalk like a regular car, plus they're rain sensing

heated seats
Right at the bottom of the 17" screen

garage door opener
I don't know if anybody has seen this one yet. I'm very interested in this too.

I'll add air suspension to the list, since I may need to jack the car up when going into and out of my driveway.

....Everything else I do not use frequently. Physical buttons for these items would be the best case scenario, for me personally. A single soft button may be able to do some of these items but I prefer a physical programmed buttons (especially with all that unused console space). Would not mind at all some small buttons located on the bezel of the display that were programmable.

One thing that could be cool would be a row of soft buttons, and then you could assign what features were on those soft buttons. If built right into the screen bezel, they'd be virtually invisible.

Anyway, we'll see just how well this 17" screen really works.