Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

physically opening door with physical key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other thing to consider is this: in an EV, running out of power is very unlikely, since that's how the vehicle is propelled, everyone is very aware of their "State of Charge", and will usually plug in whenever they can (opportunity charging), so the odds of you "being out of power" to open your doors is very unlikely. It's only in fact been done once that we know of (thanks NYT/John Broder), and he was trying really hard to capture the "money shot" (the Model S on the flatbed truck at the SuperCharger)... Even when the car is "dead" it likely has enough power via the 12V battery to still open the door locks.

the odds of you "being out of power" to open your doors is very unlikely. It's only in fact been done once that we know of (thanks NYT/John Broder)
Regarding being low enough on power that the vehicle shuts down the drivetrain, I know of at least two other second-hand reports on TMC. Both were self-admitted "bad range planning" on the part of the owner, IIRC.

Regarding being low enough on power that the doors don't unlock / open, to my recollection even Mr. Broder hasn't observed that condition.

...I don't know the federal standard, I'm just sure it's the kind of thing that would be covered in a standard. Some Googling just now tells me that it's probably 49 CFR 571, Standard No. 206 .

When I read parts of the Code of Federal Regulations for my job (and the one quoted here), I am just amazed at the ineptitude of congress.

We need administrative law that mandates doors have locks? We live in a nanny state. I would like my car without locks please. ;-)

Stepping down from the soap box...

When I read parts of the Code of Federal Regulations for my job (and the one quoted here), I am just amazed at the ineptitude of congress.

We need administrative law that mandates doors have locks? We live in a nanny state. I would like my car without locks please. ;-)

Stepping down from the soap box...

I bet you $1,000 that was pushed into law by the insurance lobby!

To the OP, if you are stuck inside of your vehicle, Tesla has mechanical alternative means to allow you to open the doors...all of them. If you are trapped in your frunk, you have a method of release. If you are stuck in your trunk, you're an idiot and nothing will save you from yourself. If you're stuck outside of your vehicle, but you have 12V power, you can use the key fob placed at the passenger side windshield to get the door open, provided a weak battery is the cause of "failure to open". If firemen are trying to get you out of your wrecked vehicle, they could care less about keys when they have saws, metal cutters, halligans, and spreaders ("jaws of life"). You will not have to worry about that.

I'd like to bump this one.

I know you can get into the car so long as the 12v system has power (jump pack or otherwise), and there are mechanical releases if someone is stuck inside the car.

But what about an electrical component failure (key / fob reader, computer, etc) that leaves the car unable to know it should unlock the door?

How many backups are in place? How many failures have to happen to make the inside of the car inaccessible?

What's the solution in that case? (besides breaking glass)

Each of the doors can be opened mechanically and are independent of each other. The front doors open by pulling the door lever all the way towards you, the rear doors can be opened using the emergency latches just below the rear seat. If all four mechanical releases fail, then you can still crawl in the back and pull the trunk release.

I guess the chance of a complete power failure followed by five consecutive mechanical failures is probably less than the chance of you being struck by lightening while reading this post.

Each of the doors can be opened mechanically and are independent of each other. The front doors open by pulling the door lever all the way towards you, the rear doors can be opened using the emergency latches just below the rear seat. If all four mechanical releases fail, then you can still crawl in the back and pull the trunk release.

I guess the chance of a complete power failure followed by five consecutive mechanical failures is probably less than the chance of you being struck by lightening while reading this post.

I have the opposite problem - was in an accident and the capacitor fried? after the lady hit me after turning left in front of me on a red arrow :-( We were able to get it on the flat bed before the electronic system shut down, but were unable to open the doors or trunk after getting to the body shop. They had to use skids under the rear wheels to get it off the tow truck, but there was no way of getting into the vehicle without power. It would be nice to have a physical way of getting INTO the car.

I have the opposite problem - was in an accident and the capacitor fried? after the lady hit me after turning left in front of me on a red arrow :-( We were able to get it on the flat bed before the electronic system shut down, but were unable to open the doors or trunk after getting to the body shop. They had to use skids under the rear wheels to get it off the tow truck, but there was no way of getting into the vehicle without power. It would be nice to have a physical way of getting INTO the car.

Having issues like these after a serious accident (required to tow the car) is not what I would consider a problem. An inconvenience but not a problem.

Think of it this way. Your stuff is locked in the car so no one can steal it after an accident.

Having issues like these after a serious accident (required to tow the car) is not what I would consider a problem. An inconvenience but not a problem.

Think of it this way. Your stuff is locked in the car so no one can steal it after an accident.
Well, what if critical medication is locked "safely" in the car? How about a sales presentation that your company's future is riding on? How about your tax return that has to be mailed that day? Or, any number of items that have some immediate use/need. I think there needs to be a way to open the car (with out damaging it).

Well, what if critical medication is locked "safely" in the car? How about a sales presentation that your company's future is riding on? How about your tax return that has to be mailed that day? Or, any number of items that have some immediate use/need. I think there needs to be a way to open the car (with out damaging it).

Agreed, but the body shop had to get a capacitor shipped directly from Tesla in order to power up the car. This took a week to do...I'm glad I didn't have anything needed sitting in the car.

Agreed, but the body shop had to get a capacitor shipped directly from Tesla in order to power up the car. This took a week to do...I'm glad I didn't have anything needed sitting in the car.

As there is a mechanical override, couldn't you just use a hook tool to open the door (the kind that slides down between the glass and the door?

I was specifically asking about getting IN TO the car.. not getting out of it. Sorry I should have made that more clear. If there is a computer / electrical failure that causes the car to not know it should open the doors... what happens? how do you get in?

www_mysafetysign_com-Break-Glass-Emergency-Sign.gif

big-auto-emergency-glass-hammer.jpg

If your car was in a serious accident, and you need something in it then get in it.

As there is a mechanical override, couldn't you just use a hook tool to open the door (the kind that slides down between the glass and the door?

Honestly, I have no clue. Tesla recommended a shop in downtown Chicago and I let them handle everything (I'm not the most mechanically car inclined person...)

Capacitor? So how did they get into the car to replace the capacitor?

If there is no power to the 12V system, (dead or disconnected 12v battery) then hooking up a 12v power supply to the two terminals behind the nose cone will open anything you like.