Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

physically opening door with physical key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Capacitor? So how did they get into the car to replace the capacitor?

If there is no power to the 12V system, (dead or disconnected 12v battery) then hooking up a 12v power supply to the two terminals behind the nose cone will open anything you like.

They are the recommended body shop by Tesla in the Chicago area - I just let them do what they needed to do and they said that they would talk directly with the Tesla service center (located only about 2 miles from them).

This kind of thing really bothers me. I'm a tech guy, and write software for a living, but it still bothers me in a lot of cases when mechanical controls are eliminated in favor of electronic controls. Door entry and locking/unlocking included. There are just too many cases where I see electronic systems fail (especially when it involves wireless technology). Mechanical systems almost never fail. Mechanical systems generally have a lot of tolerance and require a lot of damage before they stop working. And they don't lose power unless you die. Electrical systems fail much more easily; loss of power, a single bad contact, etc. This is actually my chief concern about cars like the Model S. It won't stop me from buying, but I am not happy about it.

This kind of thing really bothers me. I'm a tech guy, and write software for a living, but it still bothers me in a lot of cases when mechanical controls are eliminated in favor of electronic controls. Door entry and locking/unlocking included. There are just too many cases where I see electronic systems fail (especially when it involves wireless technology). Mechanical systems almost never fail. Mechanical systems generally have a lot of tolerance and require a lot of damage before they stop working. And they don't lose power unless you die. Electrical systems fail much more easily; loss of power, a single bad contact, etc. This is actually my chief concern about cars like the Model S. It won't stop me from buying, but I am not happy about it.

I respectfully disagree. Mechanical systems fail all the time, we just don't notice them as much because we are used to them failing. Electronics are far more trouble-free and are, or should be, easier to replace and once replaced are as good as new. Replacing mechanical systems often doesn't restore the system to the original function.

If your car was in a serious accident, and you need something in it then get in it.

Sure, in an accident where the car is totaled that makes sense. But it's not always going to be an accident. Seriously, some component fails and you're going to put hundreds of dollars more damage on the car? Your answer is "break the window"? I fail to see how that's OK. There needs to be a non-destructive way to get in.

Agreed. That's why I was thinking you should be able to get in with one of those hooks that car thieves, er, locksmiths use.

Breaking the window seems to be the last resort.

I think (in order) you have:
1) your smart phone app.. who knows.. if there’s power to the car, this would work.
2) try the NFC way to open the car doors (as mentioned in the manual for ‘dead fob battery’)
3) if there is a complete loss of power or some other massive failure which causes 1, and 2 to not work, and you can’t open the rear hatch either, then you can have a tow company (or anybody) hook up jumper cables to the 12-v battery which should provide any power necessary to open the doors.
4) if 1, 2 and 3 fail, you should be able to have your car ‘broken into (slim-jim)' by said towing company, or a locksmith (there still is a manual latch in there... )
5) if ALL OF THAT FAILS.. and you still need to get in like NOW.. break the cheapest window.. (rear passenger?)

I've tried using the NFC method in the manual (with a key with the battery removed) and it did not work. Did not work in the cup holders either. Someone on Tesla's forum said it was not yet working.

Breaking the window seems to be the last resort.

I think (in order) you have:
1) your smart phone app.. who knows.. if there’s power to the car, this would work.
2) try the NFC way to open the car doors (as mentioned in the manual for ‘dead fob battery’)
3) if there is a complete loss of power or some other massive failure which causes 1, and 2 to not work, and you can’t open the rear hatch either, then you can have a tow company (or anybody) hook up jumper cables to the 12-v battery which should provide any power necessary to open the doors.
4) if 1, 2 and 3 fail, you should be able to have your car ‘broken into (slim-jim)' by said towing company, or a locksmith (there still is a manual latch in there... )
5) if ALL OF THAT FAILS.. and you still need to get in like NOW.. break the cheapest window.. (rear passenger?)

So how do u get in the car w a completely dead fob?...let said I drop the fob and battery roll into the river
Lets say you drop your key to your 1980 Honda and it rolls into the river. How do you get in the car without a key?

There is value to mechanical systems, and I support continuing to use them in places (like steering), but I don't think this one is the hill to die on. Not a big deal if you don't have a mechanical key system.

My question is about federal safety standards.

Safety standards are all about leaving the car. The physical latches are inside, and don't need any key to operate. the front doors are the normal door handles and the rears are hidden in the lower rear seat front.

There is no safety mechanism for opening a door from the outside. If you need to escape a car you aren't inside, you've already escaped.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ohmman
Oh hi, this thread of mine from six years ago got resurrected!

Recent commenters should read the first page of this thread. There are plenty of scenarios of concern.

But then also keep in mind that that discussion was six years ago. Things change.