Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Piëch Mark Zero

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Piëch Mark Zero Concept – Electric Two-Seater Targeted for 2022

Aside from the new Tesla Roadster, this Piëch Mark Zero is the only upcoming electric sports car I've seen that I feel like I might be able to take seriously. Even though it hasn't been unveiled yet, this preview article is sprinkled with hints of it being the Real Deal.

Quote: The car will be built on a flexible platform and has a '60s–'70s look, intending to appeal to enthusiasts who want an old-school immersive driving experience.

Yes! That's exactly what I want in a sports car. It's also what I feel like I've got from my 2010 Tesla Roadster.

I like the styling. They're right. Sports cars in the 1970s did look fantastic, and they've channeled a bit of that style, so much better than the gargoyle or Transformer's toy supercars of today.

I like the specs, which seem like a fair step up from my Roadster in range and performance, but there's no attempt to break world records here. They don't use the word "hypercar" or brag about its invitation-only "exclusivity" or 7-figure price tag or 4-figure horsepower rating, so maybe this is a real car and not a B.S. car.

Now the bad news…

This will have an "innovative" air-cooled battery. Have we learned nothing from the Leaf? Also, the battery will be partly in a central tunnel, and another part in the rear above the motors. No skateboard. In fact, "The platform is designed to be extremely flexible; beyond a relatively lightweight battery pack, it could host a hydrogen powertrain, a plug-in-hybrid powertrain, and even conventionally powered engines." Yay. :|

Also, I don't see any kind of removable roof panel. No convertible, no targa top? Driving an open-top electric car is such a lovely experience, it would be tough to give that up.

And the other bad news is that they foresee testing prototypes this year and selling cars in 2022. Waiting for the new Tesla Roadster is hard enough. Adding another couple of years onto that isn't what I really want to hear. (But hey… By the time it arrives, the CCS charging network should be built out pretty well!)

Following is directly and verbatim from an info panel in front of the chassis on display in Geneva:

The Battery

The Piëch Mark Zero is powered by a completely new battery type that is capable of rapidly charging and discharging its energy.

These batteries develop hardly any heat when charging and discharging, which allows significantly stronger currents to flow without increasing the battery temperature by more than 15 degrees [Celsius!]. This enables the batteries to be air-cooled, and that reduces weight - and makes the car safer.

The batteries are mounted in the center tunnel and on the rear axle, resulting in an optimal weight distribution for improved driving performance.

The Charging Infrastructure

The exclusive battery technology will soon be available to other manufacturers as well. This will facilitate the joint creation of an efficient charging infrastructure with the possibility of rapid charging. Of course, the Mark Zero can also be recharged using conventional charging stations and plugins.