Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pi Zero W - Dashcam and Music Sync Control from Browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to get the version on GitHub at this location: rtgoodwin/teslausb to work. It is an automated based approach and I would like to manually be able to use it via the browser interface as shown on yours; however, for some reason, no matter what size microSd card I use when I get to the step to perform the fallocate the piusb file it always says there is insufficient space. Further, that step seemed to corrupt something else (not sure what) meaning I would start over from scratch. Also, your process to load the shell is not for a headless install so I needed to do the headless install from the web site listed above first. I did finally figure out how to copy your script files to the appropriate directories using the SCP command. If you were to take a look at the GitHub setup and be able to explain how to add your web service ability to manage it that would be great. Finally, it isn't clear to me from those instructions how to access it from the Tesla Browser. Thanks for any help you care to provide.

It appears that the op has abandoned this thread as we have not heard anything from him in a while. I was finally able to get through his instructions and get it to boot up but at this point I am lost as no instructions on how to get a web address and no where in the instructions was there any instruction what to do after rebooting. It does not show two drives when connected via usb cable to my computer.

I was able to follow the instructions from github all the way through with no errors. I saw it create a folder in my Google Drive. However, at the end it says to plug the RPi into the computer and see the two drives (TeslaCam and Music), but I do not see any drives.

I will say that my RPi never actually worked through USB. I did ssh through the IP address (i.e., WiFi) to complete all the steps. Perhaps my RPi has a bad USB port. I tried three computers and tried plugging it into my Tesla, but nothing recognizes it as a USB drive. The only thing I can think to try is replacing the actual RPi to see if it is the USB port.

First, the RPI should work through USB. I know mine does. Second, there are now multiple sets of instructions which is very confusing. The quick method, I have never been able to get to work. Third, with V9, major modifications are needed to make it work. I haven't had any success with it yet. It used to work fine on V8 before the Sentry mode added the additional repeater cameras. It seems that the file name structure was changed and the formatting has been changed. There is a thread on Reddit about this. Some people have it working. Alas I don't yet.

I actually got it to work on my Windows computer, and it connects as two USB storage devices: Music and TeslaCam. The only problem is it doesn't always work. Sometimes it gives an error, and I have to eject it and plug it in again until it works. This will not work as an always-connected USB drive in the Tesla.

If its like the one I tried from a different vendor it is not dual ported so you can't have it plugged into the USB port and access over WiFi at the same time. They don't show the manual being available so that one can verify but I would call them and ask that question.

If you have to unplug it to use the WiFi connection it kind of defeats the whole point. What would be desirable is to have a dual ported device with a WiFi connection to the storage on one port and the USB connection on the other port. Then you could read the storage video from the WiFi connection while they were being written from the USB connection.

If you have to unplug it to use the WiFi connection it kind of defeats the whole point. What would be desirable is to have a dual ported device with a WiFi connection to the storage on one port and the USB connection on the other port. Then you could read the storage video from the WiFi connection while they were being written from the USB connection.
That would be great, but not sure if one exists. Not sure if you’d have to unplug it from the usb though if the car is off? Thought the USB ports turned off when car was off. I would only need this functionality when I’m home and car is parked. Although it’d be nice if it could be accessible all the time.

That would be great, but not sure if one exists. Not sure if you’d have to unplug it from the usb though if the car is off? Thought the USB ports turned off when car was off. I would only need this functionality when I’m home and car is parked. Although it’d be nice if it could be accessible all the time.

Remember, you CAN turn your Pi Zero on at will remotely! Just go into the app and turn the climate control ON. That will turn your rpi on as well, then just log into the web interface, or ssh into the rpi zero w. (assuming you are in a known place that you have wifi on the rpi zero)

For the record as well, I'm still using my scripts and setup here even after the sentry mode update (seems after that software update I had to use the built in script tools to repair the dashcam partition, but then it started recording as expected. Music still working as well as ever too.

• Helpful
Reactions: C141medic
Remember, you CAN turn your Pi Zero on at will remotely! Just go into the app and turn the climate control ON. That will turn your rpi on as well, then just log into the web interface, or ssh into the rpi zero w. (assuming you are in a known place that you have wifi on the rpi zero)

For the record as well, I'm still using my scripts and setup here even after the sentry mode update (seems after that software update I had to use the built in script tools to repair the dashcam partition, but then it started recording as expected. Music still working as well as ever too.
Thanks. Very informative. I’m going to try to set it up using your script. I think the Pi is the best tool for what a lot of us are trying to do. I even bought the add on usb board. I’m determined now to get it working. Now if I can only get it set up properly I’ll be happy.

I was never able to get your scripts to work. Can you provide an updated step by step procedure to make it work on V9?

I have found a configuration that seems to work with the video clips uploading to google drive the first night. However, last night the videos did not seem to upload. My RPi does not connect to my work WiFi, so I will need to test again when I get home.

Essentially, I followed these instructions (cimryan/teslausb) to get the OS on the SD card and set up a headless configuration of the RPi. I had to SSH into the RPi through WiFi using the IP address of the RPi rather than through USB.
Then, I followed these instructions (Model 3 doesn't recognize the drive after 2019.5.x · Issue #119 · cimryan/teslausb) for everything else, again establishing an SSH connection through WiFi using the IP address of the RPi. I did have to execute the instructions for configuring the archive. I skipped the steps about pushover.

This configuration fixes a problem (the red x) caused by the Sentry Mode update and updloads the video files in folders by date and time.

• Helpful
Reactions: C141medic