Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pic: OEM 235 Michelin MXM4 vs. 245 Continental PureContact LS tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdx_m3s

May 18, 2019
Portland, OR
For those curious.

- 235/45R18 OEM Michelin MXM4 vs.
- 245/40R19 Continental PureContact LS (“eco” tire)

Both on an 8.5” wide wheel. Quite the difference. 10mm wider section width but about an inch wider tread width.

Super happy with the Contis.

9F8EA6EC-63D7-4DCF-80BA-750B70BED386.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I've used the PureContact LS on a couple of my (ICE)cars in the past and *loved* them. Really good tread wear, and they did sort of ok in light snow when new. I wouldn't buy them *for* the snow, but in a pinch you might not die. I have factory 19's with ProContacts....I plan to pick up a set of aeros with the Pirelli winter tires for winter from the Tesla store. Seems like a pretty good winter solution.

I've used the PureContact LS on a couple of my (ICE)cars in the past and *loved* them. Really good tread wear, and they did sort of ok in light snow when new. I wouldn't buy them *for* the snow, but in a pinch you might not die. I have factory 19's with ProContacts....I plan to pick up a set of aeros with the Pirelli winter tires for winter from the Tesla store. Seems like a pretty good winter solution.

I’ve used them in the snow a couple times and they did the job. Definitely not a tire for a place that gets lots of snow all winter, but good enough in a bind for a place like Portland. The dry grip is very good too. Waaaay better than the stock tires.

How does road noise compare between the two?

It was noticeable, but not overly significant. I forgot about it a couple days after putting them on.

Last edited:
I can only compare 235/40-19. The OE Conti RX lasted 27k and replaced at 3/32. They were pretty loud when they got to end of life. I replaced with Conti PureContact LS. I currently have 5/32 on rear and 4/32 on front with 32k miles. So they have lasted longer than the OE's and i hope to get a few more thousand miles out of them. When i replaced my tires, I also replaced my wheels with stock 19 size T-Sportline TST's. From 27k to now 60k, my wh/m went from 276wh/m to 277wh/m. i went to a lighter wheel and my wh//m went up by an average of 1, take that for what it's worth. When changed from RX to LS, i noticed an immediately more comfortable and quiet ride and much smoother on minor potholes/bumps etc., yet stiffer in turns. Now that my LS's are nearing end of life, I'm not sure they are much better than the RX's, except I've gotten more tread life out of the LS - though a far cry from the 70k tread rating. My next tires will be either Pirelli PZero AS Plus Elect or Hankook Ion Evo AS - both supposedly designed for EV's with emphasis on a decrease in wh/m, noise reduction, and improved tread life.

I can only compare 235/40-19. The OE Conti RX lasted 27k and replaced at 3/32. They were pretty loud when they got to end of life. I replaced with Conti PureContact LS. I currently have 5/32 on rear and 4/32 on front with 32k miles. So they have lasted longer than the OE's and i hope to get a few more thousand miles out of them. When i replaced my tires, I also replaced my wheels with stock 19 size T-Sportline TST's. From 27k to now 60k, my wh/m went from 276wh/m to 277wh/m. i went to a lighter wheel and my wh//m went up by an average of 1, take that for what it's worth. When changed from RX to LS, i noticed an immediately more comfortable and quiet ride and much smoother on minor potholes/bumps etc., yet stiffer in turns. Now that my LS's are nearing end of life, I'm not sure they are much better than the RX's, except I've gotten more tread life out of the LS - though a far cry from the 70k tread rating. My next tires will be either Pirelli PZero AS Plus Elect or Hankook Ion Evo AS - both supposedly designed for EV's with emphasis on a decrease in wh/m, noise reduction, and improved tread life.
Good review. I’m also interested in the new Pirelli and Hankook tires. Soon we’ll have a lot more purpose-built options for ours cars.

Good review. I’m also interested in the new Pirelli and Hankook tires. Soon we’ll have a lot more purpose-built options for ours cars.
Unfortunately, it's always misleading to compare worn tires to new tires, but we don't really have the luxury of compairing apples to apples in the real world. And trying to remember what a tire felt and sounded like 27k miles later gets tainted by time and mileage. What i can say about the LS's that at 5/32 and 4/32 they still ride very soft & smooth when road conditions allow. i was on the freeway a couple weeks ago and was impressed by how smooth that section of road felt on old tires. i rotate regularly and have done 2 alignments (one with RX and one with LS) which have helped preserve even tire wear.