Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pic of your Model 3.......RIGHT NOW! [model 3 pictures thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't stress enough how many times I've seen people posting pictures of those cheap mud flaps and how they rubbed all the way through the paint to the metal.
Or you could just get the ones with double sided tape on the body side so that the flaps don’t move around and cause damage. I’ve seen to many images of 3’s that are sandblasted around the fenders to skimp on protection.

Picked her up yesterday, slapped the wheels on this morning (Sweaty work here in sunny Fla) ant tints/coatings are coming soon.

Attachments

• PXL_20210821_152208678.jpg
    PXL_20210821_152208678.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 256
  • PXL_20210821_151835698.jpg
    PXL_20210821_151835698.jpg
    789.2 KB · Views: 213
  • florida sign.jpg
    florida sign.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 189
I can't stress enough how many times I've seen people posting pictures of those cheap mud flaps and how they rubbed all the way through the paint to the metal.
Ive been running the cheap Amazon mud flaps for over 2 yrs now with no issues. BUT I test fit them and sanded down any sharp edges and high points that could have been pressure points and run the paint. The material is soft enough that it’s very easy to sand down. I already had ppf installed but as a safety measure to prevent any damage to the ppf I installed additional strips of ppf where edges of the flaps are. Very easy process to do and doesn’t take long. I’ve checked the strips of ppf and the flaps have not damaged or cut into them at all.

Reactions: Rothgarr
Love the matte black look, where did you get your wrap done? I didn't realize this but the xpel wrap is a dust magnet
It is - well I mean anything that is black will show dust and pollen. I will say though that with the wrap + ceramic coating it is incredibly easy to wash, and i feel like you don’t have to be as careful.

I actually got the wrap done by a guy in his garage in Walnut Creek, he got rid of his shop during covid. He did a pretty good job, especially for the price. I do have one piece I need to get fixed but overall very happy with the work. Dm me if you would like his info.

I know what you are talking about as I have seen it on other cars before. I installed just the front mud flaps from AO, but all the areas that the flaps are sitting on are covered by Xpel, and I also rounded over all the sharp edges on the back side of the two front flaps that contact the Xpel so it was less edgy or abrasive, sure it will mar the Xpel underneath but that won't be seen. But to your point, I'd never just sit the flaps right on the paint.
I wish I could find it, but someone on this forum posted a picture of those flaps rubbing all the way through their PPF and wrecking the paint. It's good that you rounded off the edges, but I think the problem is all the sand and mud that gets trapped between the flaps and the paint. I used to have the flaps on my car and I actually put weather stripping on the flaps to prevent that from happening. But I still replaced them with rally Armor flaps (which don't touch any painted surfaces)