Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pic of your Model 3.......RIGHT NOW! [model 3 pictures thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, the mods that make me cringe the most are:

1) Those molded mud flaps, because we've seen how those rub all the way through paint to the metal (even through PPF), and

2) Any hydro-dipped fake carbon fiber part. It just looks so bad, especially front splitters and side skirts where the pattern gets so laughably distorted. Or those three-piece snap-together front splitters (and two piece side skirts). I mean, you spent so much money on your car, maybe even spent thousands on a wrap, and you're spending $50 on the cheapest eBay junk that's bad even on a beater Civic?

</rant>
I much prefer the plastic parts to real carbon. Carbon is cool but not practical for a lot of people daily driving their cars. I have broken many carbon parts and have learned my lesson. I live on a dirt road and commute 84 miles a day. Carbon wouldn’t hold up to what I put my vehicles through.

But hey to each their own, I respect what anyone wants to do with their cars to make them happy. It’s most often that when someone puts another person down it’s because they are insecure with themselves.

Personally, the mods that make me cringe the most are:

1) Those molded mud flaps, because we've seen how those rub all the way through paint to the metal (even through PPF), and

2) Any hydro-dipped fake carbon fiber part. It just looks so bad, especially front splitters and side skirts where the pattern gets so laughably distorted. Or those three-piece snap-together front splitters (and two piece side skirts). I mean, you spent so much money on your car, maybe even spent thousands on a wrap, and you're spending $50 on the cheapest eBay junk that's bad even on a beater Civic?

</rant>
Which mud flaps you are referring to? I have 19" rims with mud flaps (see my avatar) and no issues. Or are you referring to something else (different terminology?)

I much prefer the plastic parts to real carbon. Carbon is cool but not practical for a lot of people daily driving their cars. I have broken many carbon parts and have learned my lesson. I live on a dirt road and commute 84 miles a day. Carbon wouldn’t hold up to what I put my vehicles through.

But hey to each their own, I respect what anyone wants to do with their cars to make them happy. It’s most often that when someone puts another person down it’s because they are insecure with themselves.
Yeah, I can def see the merits of ABS carbon fiber look parts, especially if you drive in construction zones on a daily basis (or dirt roads)!!!!! 99% of people don't know the difference between real and 'look-alike' plastic CF.

Reactions: Foxjordan22
Dude why dump on people? It’s their car and if modding it makes them happy, why do you care?

World is shitty enough. SMH.
Some people just have a need to be keyboard warriors to feel superior. I don't bother responding to them. Just block them. The world is shitty enough, as you said, so I don't need to waste my time with people like that.

08D1A385-50C5-4421-A5DC-4688F09A910B.jpeg

I felt like a dork snapping a pic but the lighting was too good to waste.

Some people just have a need to be keyboard warriors to feel superior. I don't bother responding to them. Just block them. The world is shitty enough, as you said, so I don't need to waste my time with people like that.
Oh I’m aware. Just frustrating. It’s an enthusiast forum and people are proud of their cars. Why be an ass?

Which mud flaps you are referring to? I have 19" rims with mud flaps (see my avatar) and no issues. Or are you referring to something else (different terminology?)
Yup, the kind in your avatar are the ones that will rub through your paint. If you remove them you’ll find that there is so much dirt and sand trapped in between your flaps and the paint.

I removed mine after seeing someone post a pic here at least a year ago how it rubbed right through their PPF and paint. And sure enough, there was so much grime stuck being mine it was clear how terrible the product design is. I replaced them with Rally Armor flaps, but I imagine any mud flap that sits solely in the wheel well will work.

Yup, the kind in your avatar are the ones that will rub through your paint. If you remove them you’ll find that there is so much dirt and sand trapped in between your flaps and the paint.

I removed mine after seeing someone post a pic here at least a year ago how it rubbed right through their PPF and paint. And sure enough, there was so much grime stuck being mine it was clear how terrible the product design is. I replaced them with Rally Armor flaps, but I imagine any mud flap that sits solely in the wheel well will work.
Im replacing the black plastic ones I have for CF versions, so I'll see if there is any wear on them. But since these were screwed in, I doubt there was any movement to cause rubbing.I also live in a place that only gets about 1.5" of rain a year and no snow, so not a lot of mud or salty roads to worry about here.

Ok, so it's Sunday and it's almost exactly 60 days since I took home my M3. At the dealership, when I picked it up, I installed the metal grate, air intake filter that is located in the frunk.
I have washed and liquid waxed my car, religiously, every weekend, but this was the first time I checked on the filter. If I didn't have this on there, all that would have gotten down into that intake area.

Gotta say... Glad I had this, and glad I checked on it now, before it got worse. P.S. I live in a place that gets almost no rain in a year, so the only time this car sees water, is when I wash it. Gonna start cleaning this every 2 weeks now.

Attachments

• PXL_20211017_183549358.jpg
    PXL_20211017_183549358.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 237
Reactions: Rothgarr
Looks great! What wheels are those and how’s visibility at night with the 35%? That’s what I’m leaning towards for my MSM M3 as well.
So drove a couple nights and visibility at night is pretty low. Takes a bit of effort to see what’s in the side view mirror and rear view. If you’re in well lit areas, it’s better. However in some residential streets, I had to rely on the cameras more to see as I was parallel parking on the street.

I wouldn’t change it if I could go back because it’s manageable and I like the look in the day time.

Ok, so it's Sunday and it's almost exactly 60 days since I took home my M3. At the dealership, when I picked it up, I installed the metal grate, air intake filter that is located in the frunk.
I have washed and liquid waxed my car, religiously, every weekend, but this was the first time I checked on the filter. If I didn't have this on there, all that would have gotten down into that intake area.

Gotta say... Glad I had this, and glad I checked on it now, before it got worse. P.S. I live in a place that gets almost no rain in a year, so the only time this car sees water, is when I wash it. Gonna start cleaning this every 2 weeks now.
Oh my gosh! That's nuts!

Did you buy that? (Got a link?) Or did you add the wire mesh? Personally, I think what you have is a much better solution than having an actual filter there. I'd love to know more about it.

Oh my gosh! That's nuts!

Did you buy that? (Got a link?) Or did you add the wire mesh? Personally, I think what you have is a much better solution than having an actual filter there. I'd love to know more about it.
I got this off Amazon. The paper filters I've seen can get sucked into the opening, so I chose the plastic and wire mesh. It was easy to clean and very sturdy. Does the job really well.