Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pic of your Model 3.......RIGHT NOW! [model 3 pictures thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
E99EFE9A-5089-4BE0-82B0-0067D31489EE.jpeg

The word "some" patience is very relative!! Lol
How many hours did it take including prep?
Did you have do overs bc of mistakes?
Btw, how did you get "Tesla" on it?
Oh, what are the basic tools?

Took me about 6 hours from prep to (almost) finish.
-Prepped and painted everything one day.
-Waited until the next morning to apply the decals. I didn’t have to wait that long but wanted to give the paint a little more time to dry/cure.
- Sprayed a high temperature clear coat over the decal area to help protect the decals

The G2 is a brush-on paint system and goes on pretty easily. Since I have a fairly steady hand, I did not have to do a lot of masking/taping. But, this meant being a little more careful/slow with my brush strokes (which added to my paint time). If you spend more time on the prep side (do a little more thorough job of masking), that will allow you to be more free/faster with the brush strokes, which is good thing with the G2 paint system. Once you mix the supplied little bottle of liquid reactor to the can of paint, you have approximately 5-6 hours (depending on ambient temperature) to apply all the paint. After that time, the mixture starts to harden/thicken up and become less usable.

I really didn’t have any mistakes, except for getting a little paint on some parts of the metal retaining clips, which can be easily scraped off with a razor blade after the paint dries. As long as you apply fairly light (& multiple) coats and don’t move/paint too slowly, then there’s really not much risk to make a mistake.

I purchased the “Tesla” high temperature decals off eBay. Lots of decal options there.

Tools needed:
1. Car jack & stands (it’s best to raise the entire vehicle and remove all four wheels, since you have somewhat of a time limit with the G2 paint system)
2. G2 paint kit (already comes with brake cleaner & a paint brush)
3. Sandpaper and/or hard bristle brush to clean caliper surface
4. Painters masking tape
5. can of VHT high temp clear spray-on
6. Plastic drop cloth to catch overspray from the clear coat
7. Patience!

Looks so much better than those plastic covers.
No decals on the rear calipers?

I was going to apply decals to the rear, but the decal kit I purchased did not have a set of letters small enough that I felt “fit” the rear calipers. In retrospect, I probably should have bought a decal kit that contains a small Tesla “T” logo. I think that would look good & more appropriate for the rears.

Zero regrets, because I think the rears still look great without decals.