Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pic request: 275/40 tire on 20" Inductions (Michelin Pilot AS4)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. I'm due for new tires.. got 35K out of OEM Goodyear F1s and pretty much decided on the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4. Problem is, from what I have seen in previous pictures the 255/40R20 looks incredibly stretched on the factory wheels. A cheaper, better riding option appears to be 255/45R20 but Im not sure I want the undersized taller look. A better looking/protection/riding option that is probably the best fit, would be the 265/40R20 but they are very expensive.. $115 more per tire. Seems the best value for looks/comfort/protection/price are 275/40R20 which is significantly cheaper. Should really give a beefy, meaty look.. and if I ever decide to get aftermarket wheels I'd want this size anyways.

The problem is I cannot find a single picture of the Pilot AS4 in size 275/40R20 mounted on the factory 20" Induction. Even though several people on this forum claimed to have bought and used this size. I have found pictures of the 265/40R20 which looks awesome and attached it below for others that may be interested in the same. The only reason I'm pausing on the 265s.. is that I can literally save $500 by going for the slightly wider 275/40R20 which should fit within spec on the factory 20x9.5" Induction wheel.

Pics of 265/40R20:

1674761309698.jpeg

1674761325555.jpeg

1674761339597.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Sambub and bobbyjae
Curious to see as well, plenty of meat on the tires would be good
You are actually not allowed to see.. because you just bought those awesome 21" Ultraturbines from that guy in NYC :)
God knows I wanted those wheels bad lol. A brand new set of 265/40R20 tires from Costco will cost as much as you paid for those wheels + tires + TPMS! Which is exactly why Im asking about the 275/40R20 beefy setup.. that is significantly cheaper lol.

Last edited:
Certainly interested but want to stay square for now. I drive A LOT. And the ability to rotate tires is the entire reason I've stayed away from the Ultraturbines until now. Also since I'm market for tires.. the stiff ride is like the biggest complaint about the Model Y. The UT would only make that part worst. Actually hoping the bigger sidewall of the 275s helps give a bit more cushion and wheel protection. More cushion/protection is another reason I want to try the 265 or the 275. I really don't care about efficiency.. as there are thousands of EV chargers between VA & NYC.. where I mostly drive.

Certainly interested but want to stay square for now. I drive A LOT. And the ability to rotate tires is the entire reason I've stayed away from the Ultraturbines until now. Also since I'm market for tires.. the stiff ride is like the biggest complaint about the Model Y. The UT would only make that part worst. Actually hoping the bigger sidewall of the 275s helps give a bit more cushion and wheel protection. More cushion/protection is another reason I want to try the 265 or the 275. I really don't care about efficiency.. as there are thousands of EV chargers between VA & NYC.. where I mostly drive.
Oh that's what I meant, we will both have staggered sets and can swap to have it squared for us both. Just a matter of who gets all the rears and who gets all fronts. Completely agree, don't really care much about efficiency drop as I can fully charge when needed in my garage and plenty of superchargers if and when I do travel. You mean 275's on the 9.5 wheels correct? As 285 is more ideal for the 10.5 rears.

The only update I have is that I went in a different direction. I've always been curious about how much softer & more comfortable the ride would be with the 19" Gemini.. instead of the 20" Inductions that came on my car. FWIW.. I purchased an Inventory vehicle and didn't really have my choice of which options I wanted or not. I did want the red paint & white interior ($3,000).. but didn't really care about the black 20" wheels + tow hitch (another $3,000).. as they were options I could always install later if I truly desired them. That said time was running out.. and because I bought aggressively I literally got the cheapest Model Y pricing ever sold in the US.

So my update is instead of buying 4 new 275/40R20 tires for $1300-$1700 depending on the store, installation, alignment, and road hazard warranty. I actually bought four like-new, factory takeoff 19" Gemini wheels, tires, aero covers, and TPMS off a brand new 2023 Model (actually off the blue Model Y in the pictures above). Fast-forward 2 months & 2,500 miles later.. I am glad I did. While I like the looks of the 20" Inductions better.. I vastly prefer the better ride & efficiency of the 19" Gemini. So much so there is no going back for me. If anything Im waiting for the price of the black Rimetrix wheel covers to drop to $239 again.. and I will replace the silver OEM aero covers.

If anyone is interested, I still have my 20" Inductions with the OEM Goodyear F1s & TPMS mounted.. and they are available for sale. I'll consider any reasonable price that includes local pickup within 100 miles of zip code 20721. Im in no rush to sell them, so wouldn't consider offers below $1,200.

And who knows if I might end up trading my car for a newer Model Y at some point in time (waiting on more news about the upcoming 2024 'Juniper' refresh + HW4 capabilities). If that happens.. I would consider finally getting those new 275-width tires and putting the 20" Inductions on a 2024 Model Y with a much more comfortable suspension than the stiffer stuff that came equipped on my 2021 Model Y.

Attachments

• IMG_3088.jpg
    IMG_3088.jpg
    691.3 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Reactions: Doublea88
Aren't you glad now that I bought that 21" set? Nice pickup on the gemini wheels, i say just paint them or plastidip them satin or gloss black, they look so good. I honestly just didn't like the silver color of the 19" wheels but after I run down the 21" tires, might consider selling and getting aftermarket 19" wheels. Have two options in mind, Avant garde M520R or Stance SF10.

Aren't you glad now that I bought that 21" set? Nice pickup on the gemini wheels, i say just paint them or plastidip them satin or gloss black, they look so good. I honestly just didn't like the silver color of the 19" wheels but after I run down the 21" tires, might consider selling and getting aftermarket 19" wheels. Have two options in mind, Avant garde M520R or Stance SF10.
Aww man, I completely forgot about that! I will say 99% of my interest in the 21" Ultraturbines was that they came WITH the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 tires that I wanted so badly. The 21" & 22" versions of those tires are also the only ones that come with the cool laser-etched checkered flag "full velour ring".

So the 20" Michelin AS4 looks like this:

mi_pilot_sport_all_season_4_full.jpg

While the 21" Michelin AS4 looks like this:

mi_pilot_sport_all_season_4_altbw_full.jpg

Much cooler design with the velour checkered flag!

That said the 21" Ultraturbines kinda suck for everything. They are huge, heavy, and staggered.. with the thin tire profile probably giving a punishing ride. I also imagine 21" performance tires are much more expensive & more likely to blow out. Since you are in NYC you will appreciate this. The only time I've ever had TWO blowouts happen at the same time.. is hitting a pothole coming out of the Lincoln tunnel headed to NJ. So yeah. Im pretty happy to have the 19" Geminis instead lol.

I think 19" aftermarket is a great idea. On the Model Y it really doesn't make much sense to go bigger than 19". As you WANT the comfort of a bigger sidewall.. combined with the smaller/lighter wheel because it will give you better efficiency & acceleration.

I'm really surprised Tesla doesn't just offer MYP buyers the option to get the 19" base Gemini wheels free instead. Many people end up trading or selling their 21" Ultraturbines for that specific purpose. Tesla used to offer this.. it was basically a stealth option for the Performance version of the 3/Y. You basically got the faster acceleration and more powerful Performance motor.. but the vehicle came equipped with the smaller base factory wheels. Believe it was cheaper too!

Oh I love the checkered flag , looks much better!! Yea I agree about the 21" but already knew about efficiency/harsh ride going into it, it just looks so good haha. I also have a square set now! I traded with a member here for their two front's, so now i have a square set of the rear wheels. Will switch it up on looks for my car for a year or two and then go 19".

Hello everyone. I'm due for new tires.. got 35K out of OEM Goodyear F1s and pretty much decided on the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4. Problem is, from what I have seen in previous pictures the 255/40R20 looks incredibly stretched on the factory wheels. A cheaper, better riding option appears to be 255/45R20 but Im not sure I want the undersized taller look. A better looking/protection/riding option that is probably the best fit, would be the 265/40R20 but they are very expensive.. $115 more per tire. Seems the best value for looks/comfort/protection/price are 275/40R20 which is significantly cheaper. Should really give a beefy, meaty look.. and if I ever decide to get aftermarket wheels I'd want this size anyways.

So figured I'd update this thread as I got incredibly lucky. I often check Facebook Marketplace for used deals and saw a used tire shop advertising a new set of the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 in the "perfect" 265/40R20 size for $800. These tires regularly sell for $1,800. Im like this cant be real.. its too good to be true. The perfect tire size.. brand new.. and more than half off. Contact the shop and we get them installed the very next day. I even watched them pull the new stickers off these tires.. they still have the hairs around the edge!!

Talk about the best tire day deal ever. $850 including mount/balance/installation!!

1703861998662.png

1703862072126.png

1703861932060.png