Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pic request of 245/45R18 ... plus extreme tire wear.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any one have pics of 245/45R18 tires on their Model 3?

I was going to rotate my tires on my 2020 SR and found the rears are down at the wear bars at 8,600 miles!! The fronts still have some life on them. Wear on all 4 is very even. I've watched my pressure. I wanted to rotate sooner, but lost track.

I don't track the car and rarely do any 0-60 launches. Once or twice per week I do some spirited driving about 10 miles on backroads. Heavy acceleration out of corners, lots of full regen, and pushing the corners pretty hard ... so I'm sure that took a bigger toll than I anticipated.

So now I need to start looking for tires. I've never liked how narrow the stock tire were, so I'd like to go wider if possible. Not sure if 245/45R18 would work ... I've got Eibach springs and Blox 15/20mm spacers. Pics below.

Although I like spirited driving, I need much better tread wear.

Suggestions?

2020-12-08 16_24_15-Tire Size Comparison.png
20200412_120554.jpg
20201017_163712 (1).jpg

Reactions: Watts_Up
I have a very similar car to yours, white, 18” Aeros, Eibach springs and I just put on new 245/45/18 Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s on it. I will try and get a picture tomorrow when lighting is better.

That's awesome! Can't wait to see them. Do you like the wider tire? Do they look too chunk? They are a bit bigger diameter - do they rub at all since you are lowered? Do you have spacers? How many miles did you get out of the stock tires?

That's awesome! Can't wait to see them. Do you like the wider tire? Do they look too chunk? They are a bit bigger diameter - do they rub at all since you are lowered? Do you have spacers? How many miles did you get out of the stock tires?

Yes so far I like the wider tire although I did take a hit on range. I don’t know if that is mostly from the wider profile or if it was just due to this tire in general. It’s probably about 10% or so.

No rubbing at all. I want to say car is lowered just over 1in if I remember correctly.

I do not have spacers. I’d say with the wider tire spacers in the front might cause them to protrude to much, the rear still could come out slightly more if your looking at them being flush with the fenders.

I changed out my stock tires at 24,000 miles although probably should have been done around 15,000 miles with how the rears looked. I just didn’t notice it early on because most of the wear was on the inside of the rears (my car is also RWD) I think the lowering may have contributed to the uneven wear. I rotated them twice during those 24,000 miles. Once around 6,000 and again around 13,000.

Overall car feels better as far as steering goes. Grip is much better especially when tires are wet compared to stock tires. Ride feels the same, maybe a tad softer but that could be because they are new. Noise, maybe slightly more muffled but they do have this odd high pitch ting sound on highway when you go over the joints on concrete strips. That’s the only way I can think to describe it, almost like a tuning fork. It’s not annoying to me just something I noticed.

E3D7AECE-DBCA-440C-A917-6CB5C8DF9650.jpeg
01A762F8-9595-4F3E-B105-66651588C4B7.jpeg
D79A840E-0B62-476E-B047-B890526AAAF4.jpeg
CACCBBE4-5C55-49A7-96FB-4DFA82587A2E.jpeg
A5DE442A-E4B8-46E4-BF9B-329CC0420939.jpeg

Yes so far I like the wider tire although I did take a hit on range. I don’t know if that is mostly from the wider profile or if it was just due to this tire in general. It’s probably about 10% or so.

No rubbing at all. I want to say car is lowered just over 1in if I remember correctly.

I do not have spacers. I’d say with the wider tire spacers in the front might cause them to protrude to much, the rear still could come out slightly more if your looking at them being flush with the fenders.

I changed out my stock tires at 24,000 miles although probably should have been done around 15,000 miles with how the rears looked. I just didn’t notice it early on because most of the wear was on the inside of the rears (my car is also RWD) I think the lowering may have contributed to the uneven wear. I rotated them twice during those 24,000 miles. Once around 6,000 and again around 13,000.

Overall car feels better as far as steering goes. Grip is much better especially when tires are wet compared to stock tires. Ride feels the same, maybe a tad softer but that could be because they are new. Noise, maybe slightly more muffled but they do have this odd high pitch ting sound on highway when you go over the joints on concrete strips. That’s the only way I can think to describe it, almost like a tuning fork. It’s not annoying to me just something I noticed.

Thanks so much for the pics and details!
It looks good ... cool roof rack (what do you carry?)
Mine is an SR, so probably should keep range in mind.
Seems like mine is a little lower than yours. SR and LR do use different springs, so they might just sit a little different. Or maybe it just looks like since you don't have spacers.

I'm still a little shocked that I only got 8,600 miles out of them ... and they are even across the tread. Oh well, treadwear is going to me at the top of my list.

Thanks so much for the pics and details!
It looks good ... cool roof rack (what do you carry?)
Mine is an SR, so probably should keep range in mind.
Seems like mine is a little lower than yours. SR and LR do use different springs, so they might just sit a little different. Or maybe it just looks like since you don't have spacers.

I'm still a little shocked that I only got 8,600 miles out of them ... and they are even across the tread. Oh well, treadwear is going to me at the top of my list.

I use it for bike racks. Mine is a Mid Range and I used springs that were for RWD Long Range since they didn’t make Mid Range specific springs. That could be the reason height looks different don’t know if the weight difference would cause that or not.

I have a 20 LR and was looking into the Eibach setup on stock aeros. I like the look you have. When you installed them did you have the alignment done? I'm curious about your comment about the uneven tire wear on the inside.

I have a 20 LR and was looking into the Eibach setup on stock aeros. I like the look you have. When you installed them did you have the alignment done? I'm curious about your comment about the uneven tire wear on the inside.

Yes I did have the alignment done. Although it was done immediately after the install and I have since heard you should wait awhile to let the springs settle? I don’t know, but the wear on fronts were even backs basically bald on inside 1/4. These springs are also very early Eibach springs, not sure if they have different ones now.

I have an SR with Eibachs installed for the past 7,000 miles. I did NOT do an alignment. Tire wear in all 4 corners is very even, but my rears are at the wear bars after 8,600 total miles. I do not feel that I can fault the springs or lack of alignment. I just enjoyed driving too much.

Any one have pics of 245/45R18 tires on their Model 3?

I was going to rotate my tires on my 2020 SR and found the rears are down at the wear bars at 8,600 miles!! The fronts still have some life on them. Wear on all 4 is very even. I've watched my pressure. I wanted to rotate sooner, but lost track.

I don't track the car and rarely do any 0-60 launches. Once or twice per week I do some spirited driving about 10 miles on backroads. Heavy acceleration out of corners, lots of full regen, and pushing the corners pretty hard ... so I'm sure that took a bigger toll than I anticipated.

So now I need to start looking for tires. I've never liked how narrow the stock tire were, so I'd like to go wider if possible. Not sure if 245/45R18 would work ... I've got Eibach springs and Blox 15/20mm spacers. Pics below.

Although I like spirited driving, I need much better tread wear.

Suggestions?

View attachment 615742 View attachment 615743 View attachment 615744
That is UNBELIEVABLY BAD! Even tho wear is even, I would have someone check the alignment; as I mentioned in another thread on tire wear, a Firestone dealer (Lombard, IL--great guys!) wouldn't DO and alignment, but they checked (for $23!) and found caster/camber all within spec, but toe out of spec (and out instead of in) on all four wheels which explains my faster wear on inside edges of all. Hard to figure your problem if wear even, but it is insanely fast wear and would start with the alignment BEFORE you wreck the new tires.

That is UNBELIEVABLY BAD! Even tho wear is even, I would have someone check the alignment; as I mentioned in another thread on tire wear, a Firestone dealer (Lombard, IL--great guys!) wouldn't DO and alignment, but they checked (for $23!) and found caster/camber all within spec, but toe out of spec (and out instead of in) on all four wheels which explains my faster wear on inside edges of all. Hard to figure your problem if wear even, but it is insanely fast wear and would start with the alignment BEFORE you wreck the new tires.

I wasn't expecting 50k out of them or anything... Honestly I wouldn't have been that surprised if I only got 20k, but under 9k is pretty ridiculous.

Alignment shops are very lazy, and they really despise having to remove undertrays even though they are just 10 fasteners or so. I bet most of them fake the alignment numbers to avoid having the do the rear toe. After Tesla and an independent did my alignment, they both didn't bother to align the rear and it was out of spec.

Buy one of these to check your own alignment at home. I use it to adjust the alignment myself, but you can use it to check if you need an alignment and to check that they really did the alignment afterwards.

Trackace Laser Wheel Alignment Gauge

• Informative
Reactions: fritzner