Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pic Request: Thunder Gray roadster with carbon fiber roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looked for Thunder Gray roadsters wearing carbon fiber tops all over the web all all I could find were the Tag Heuer one with special wrapping (?). Anyone seen a gray + carbon roof? Thanks!
tesla-motors-roadster-sport-tag-heuer-c638016122012185034_5.jpg
tesla-motors-roadster-sport-tag-heuer-c638016122012185034_6.jpg

Attachments

• tesla-motors-roadster-sport-tag-heuer-c638016122012185034_7.jpg
    tesla-motors-roadster-sport-tag-heuer-c638016122012185034_7.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 455
Does it contrast well with black wheels or does body colored roof look more 'put together'?

As an owner of a V2.5 Thunder Grey, I find the exterior CF to be either unnoticeable or to look unbalanced at best from a distance. From up close, it's low contrast enough to not matter.

I do wish the rear diffuser and taillights were CF though, as black plastic isn't great looking.

I would not spend the money for a clear coated CF roof on a Thunder Grey, though.

That is an awesome combination with the black wheels and the tinted windows. I think the carbon fiber roof would add a different look and it would look marginally better (to me). However, it's not worth $5k to me for that slight difference. The car looks fantastic, as is.

Nevertheless, if you'd like to see what it looks like on, I'll gladly let you try on my carbon fiber top. I'm in the Bay Area, as well.

I'm curious, doesn't the CF top get kinda hot out in the sun? And doesn't that heat radiate into the cabin?

I like the color of my Roadster, as others love theirs, but honestly for the functionality part of keeping the battery pack cooler as well as the cabin I feel the white Roadster is the best choice. Its also a color that looks pretty good on the Roadster, especially with the black wheels. And if you don't have any paint armor you won't see the chips / nicks as bad for that the primer coating on the CF and front/rear bumpers is white!

Your thunder-gray looks nice in that pic, I believe its TEG's favorite color for the Roadster!

Last edited:
I went with the Visium smoked glass top for my Thunder Grey 2.0. To me, the Tesla top covering the CF roll bar behind the seats seems too long; the glass top just replaces the cloth cover, but with glass, and looks better proportioned to me. Looks really good from the inside, too.

I find myself staring at Cloudripper's picture a bit too much. (And perhaps drooling a bit.)

LOL, and I thought I was the only one!

Pictures, please!

I also had a Visium top until recently (tragically temporarily out-of-commission due to a separation of the plexiglas from the frame and shipped back to Italy for repair). Despite the extra wind noise, I do like the 'glass cockpit' feel! Personally I do like the longer lines of the Tesla roof. Either way, it's amazing :)

teslatop.JPG
visium.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the pix! I agree that the full Tesla top looks better hanging back further. Too bad they don't have Visium type that goes over the CF rollbar and has the same size/shape as the stock hardtop.