Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pick one: Premium Sound OR Smart Air Suspension

Pick ONLY one: Smart Air Suspension OR Premium Audio

• Smart Air Suspension

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • Premium Audio

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would ANYONE buy used? You lose the $7,500 tax credit. When you subtract that from the new price, you're about where the used ones are! I think the CPOs are a scam . . .

It all depends on the car in all honesty. My CPO (see tag line) was $57k. I believe @drucifer's P85 with every option (including jump seats) was $68k. Many of the CPOs aren't good deals, but that's because the really good ones go quick.

- - - Updated - - -

To make the coil vs. air question even harder, here is a pic I took last night at a restaurant that only allowed for nose in parking (b/c of, I couldn't find any way to back in). I raised to Very High before pulling into this space.
Qkn4DYK.jpg

Man, this is a tough one, but I voted for SAS. I have SAS and standard audio. I originally thought that the audio sounded pretty good, but after 6 months, I now wish that I had the premium audio, but not enough to spend the money on an after market solution (yet). The bass just isn't there and most of the sound comes from the front speakers due to the "front sound stage" design philosophy. I have not had the opportunity to listen to the premium system, but it would be pretty high on my list for a do-over.

The SAS isn't essential, but sometimes it comes in very handy. Last fall I went to the Fort Worth air show and the parking was in a grassy field. No problem with the SAS, but without it I would have scraped getting off and on the paved road.

Just out of curiosity, are you considering any other options? The Pano roof is nice and makes the car feel more open, but honestly I hardly ever have it open due to the wind noise which drowns out the audio at normal driving speeds >45mph. I think I would be happy if they just had an all glass roof that didn't open.

Man, this is a tough one, but I voted for SAS. I have SAS and standard audio. I originally thought that the audio sounded pretty good, but after 6 months, I now wish that I had the premium audio, but not enough to spend the money on an after market solution (yet). The bass just isn't there and most of the sound comes from the front speakers due to the "front sound stage" design philosophy. I have not had the opportunity to listen to the premium system, but it would be pretty high on my list for a do-over.

The SAS isn't essential, but sometimes it comes in very handy. Last fall I went to the Fort Worth air show and the parking was in a grassy field. No problem with the SAS, but without it I would have scraped getting off and on the paved road.

Just out of curiosity, are you considering any other options? The Pano roof is nice and makes the car feel more open, but honestly I hardly ever have it open due to the wind noise which drowns out the audio at normal driving speeds >45mph. I think I would be happy if they just had an all glass roof that didn't open.

Cyclone, thanks for that. I think I'm going with the SAS instead of the sound. I can and will upgrade the sound - on my own time and budget. That's easy enough. The picture says a lot about the SAS - thanks for sharing that. It might not be used ALL the time, but when you need it, it's nice to have.

Shortmanz, this is the final decision to keep me in the budget. Here is my list of options & selections

85D, (new) metallic blue, pano, autopilot, gloss obeche, black alcantara w/ premium interior, tan next gen seats, 19" standard wheels, and SAS!

I could have opted for a loaded (completely loaded) 70D, but I think the range is a little more important to me - no to mention the speed and faster SC charging of the 85D!

5 days until my birthday! :)

Cyclone, thanks for that. I think I'm going with the SAS instead of the sound. I can and will upgrade the sound - on my own time and budget. That's easy enough. The picture says a lot about the SAS - thanks for sharing that. It might not be used ALL the time, but when you need it, it's nice to have.

Shortmanz, this is the final decision to keep me in the budget. Here is my list of options & selections

85D, (new) metallic blue, pano, autopilot, gloss obeche, black alcantara w/ premium interior, tan next gen seats, 19" standard wheels, and SAS!

I could have opted for a loaded (completely loaded) 70D, but I think the range is a little more important to me - no to mention the speed and faster SC charging of the 85D!

Just curious why you opted for premium interior.

SAS Costly repairs question:

Haven't had a costly repair, but had one under warranty at about 42K mi. The front right hose developed a leak. Took them a couple of days to tear it about, get the part overnighted and everything. No clue on cost... Makes me nervous for the future. But that said, I still voted get the SAS (I much prefer the low look and the ability to raise over horrible curbs, speed bumps and especially parking bumpers with rebar sticking out) over the sound. In my mind, not worth the $2500 for sound that is to other better but to me, only slightly.

SAS Costly repairs question:

Haven't had a costly repair, but had one under warranty at about 42K mi. The front right hose developed a leak. Took them a couple of days to tear it about, get the part overnighted and everything. No clue on cost... Makes me nervous for the future. But that said, I still voted get the SAS (I much prefer the low look and the ability to raise over horrible curbs, speed bumps and especially parking bumpers with rebar sticking out) over the sound. In my mind, not worth the $2500 for sound that is to other better but to me, only slightly.

Thanks for sharing this. This is why I'm a little concerned about getting the SAS long-term. The coils are next to bulletproof. There are a number of things that could go wrong with the SAS. Then again, as you pointed out above, there are a number of things you can do with the SAS that you can't with the coils! I'm not helping myself make a decision but I appreciate your input!

Not actually a Model S owner, but we have one in the family and I've been a lurker on this forum for a while. I agree with the folks who say the SAS isn't worth it. My last car was a BMW 3-series with the sport suspension -- ran very low to the ground for a car with stock suspension. I've had it scrape a curb or speed bump here and there but never had any real damage as a result. The Tesla spring height would be higher than that, I imagine, so I doubt it would ever present an issue, plus the battery has ballistic armor plating, so even if you did bottom out on a speed bump, I'm sure it'd be fine ;-) At the end of the day it's just four more things on the car that can break, and shocks take a lot of abuse over the life of the car.

For the music system, I would recommend visiting your nearest Tesla location and ask to listen to them both side by side. Pick one song (preferably a recent one that you like to guarantee a good quality source) and play it on both systems via slacker or a USB drive, see if you can tell the difference, see if you care. For a better test, do it blindfolded, or at least ask them not to tell you which of the two systems you're listening to.

For the music system, I would recommend visiting your nearest Tesla location and ask to listen to them both side by side. Pick one song (preferably a recent one that you like to guarantee a good quality source) and play it on both systems via slacker or a USB drive, see if you can tell the difference, see if you care. For a better test, do it blindfolded, or at least ask them not to tell you which of the two systems you're listening to.

Good suggestion! I should throw a couple songs on a thumb and just walk into the showroom and try them. I think both of the ones on the showroom floor are standard audio. I think I'd rather save the money and spend it on my own aftermarket system anyway. It would be fun to do with my son and learn together.

Good suggestion! I should throw a couple songs on a thumb and just walk into the showroom and try them. I think both of the ones on the showroom floor are standard audio. I think I'd rather save the money and spend it on my own aftermarket system anyway. It would be fun to do with my son and learn together.

If you and your son could make a trench and install a 240v outlet yourselves, I'm sure you two can follow the instructions at TeslaTap to do the wiring yourself.

If you and your son could make a trench and install a 240v outlet yourselves, I'm sure you two can follow the instructions at TeslaTap to do the wiring yourself.

Yup! I think we will. That will be the plan. So, now the question becomes, SAS or the 19" cyclone wheels!? I love looking at all the options.

I may end up getting the SAS just because of the moonraker James Bond car code. My Dad would absolutely die if/when I showed that to him!

Yup! I think we will. That will be the plan. So, now the question becomes, SAS or the 19" cyclone wheels!? I love looking at all the options.

I may end up getting the SAS just because of the moonraker James Bond car code. My Dad would absolutely die if/when I showed that to him!

Personally I would choose the wheels. I would enjoy them a lot more than the SAS - they really transform the look of the car in my opinion.

What was that about the car code?

Nice set of options! I am a bit surprised by your choice of premium interior, but the interior lighting, power liftgate, and black alcantara all add to convenience and overall ambiance to the car. Be sure to post some pictures when you get it!