Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pick up Model Y today, couple observations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pick up MY today. Ordered Nov 10, pick up today. We never testdrive any Tesla before, so this is the first time we sit & drive an electric car. Couple notes:

- Car has many imperfections (scratchs on paint, center console, tear in B-pillar...), wonder how they did the inspection. Will have to schedule a service to pick up. We didn't want to spend much time at the SC.
- The interior is utterly simple. Yet I believe it is more intuitive and has more features than my S550
- We didn't go with the Performance version because I'm not sure of the value, but will likely do the speed boost for $2K.
- It looks small from outside (most of our other cars are fairly large: Escalade ESV, GL450, S550), but is just as roomy for driver and passengers.
- It's definitely fun to drive, and very fast. Makes all our other cars feel slow. Wonder how much faster it will be once upgraded to speed boost.
- It riders even rougher than my Escalade !!!

Just side notes:

1. The glass roof caused my wife and kids all with car-sick, just on the ride from the delivery center to home in less than 5 miles. Matter of fact, wife now refuses to sit in it. Would tinting the roof dark help to reduce the motion sickness ? Any other idea that would help?

2. I plan to paint the wheels gloss black, red calipers, spoiler, bunch of tint, and the speed boost installed. Alreally had the metal pedals installed. Anything else ?

Fantastic car. Wished I bought the car and the stock much sooner. My partner bought both years ago :)

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 242
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 123
Enjoy the car! The car sickness is weird..my family had the exact opposite. Car sickness usually occurs when there isn't enough visibility! In fact my wife, who gets terribly motion sick, was able to ride in the back set on our test drive and enjoyed it! Don't compare to other vehicles--this is in a class by itself. You'll exhaust yourself comparing!

Pick up MY today. Ordered Nov 10, pick up today. We never testdrive any Tesla before, so this is the first time we sit & drive an electric car. Couple notes:

- Car has many imperfections (scratchs on paint, center console, tear in B-pillar...), wonder how they did the inspection. Will have to schedule a service to pick up. We didn't want to spend much time at the SC.
- The interior is utterly simple. Yet I believe it is more intuitive and has more features than my S550
- We didn't go with the Performance version because I'm not sure of the value, but will likely do the speed boost for $2K.
- It looks small from outside (most of our other cars are fairly large: Escalade ESV, GL450, S550), but is just as roomy for driver and passengers.
- It's definitely fun to drive, and very fast. Makes all our other cars feel slow. Wonder how much faster it will be once upgraded to speed boost.

Just side notes:

1. The glass roof caused my wife and kids all with car-sick, just on the ride from the delivery center to home in less than 5 miles. Matter of fact, wife now refuses to sit in it. Would tinting the roof dark help to reduce the motion sickness ? Any other idea that would help?

2. I plan to paint the wheels gloss black, red calipers, spoiler, bunch of tint, and the speed boost installed. Alreally had the metal pedals installed. Anything else ?

Fantastic car. Wished I bought the car and the stock much sooner. My partner bought both years ago :)
The ride will be less rough if you put 19" wheels on it.

Here's very good solution to fix the roof that isn't expensive and removable as needed:
https://www.amazon.com/Moonlinks-Sunshade+UV-Insulation-Compatible-Windshield/dp/B08B3TD562/ref=sr_1_6?crid=JEW1MEQBKQW0&dchild=1&keywords=model+y+roof+shade&qid=1606534452&sprefix=modl+y+ro,aps,215&sr=8-6

Don't waste your money on changing wheels to get a softer ride. The issue is the suspension tuning (or lack thereof) and the poor quality suspension components. If you want your Model Y to have a premium feel to the suspension, you'll need to change the shocks and springs for a kit from MountainPass or Unplugged.

And those issues you found were indeed found by the quality control team designated by Tesla, which happens to be you.

Last edited:
I picked my MY up two days ago. Armed with an extensive checklist, I found just one tiny blemish in the paint on the hood, and they buffed it out before we returned to do the paperwork. Is the car elegant and luxurious inside? No, but it is comfortable, well thought out, and an amazing car in many respects. Do I wish it had a few more items that you find on other cars? Sure, but it has some features other cars don't. At $50K plus, it is not an inexpensive car, but a MS would not fit in my garage. It is just a couple of days, but so far I really like the car!

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I upgraded the acceleration boost (speed boost). Because my car was in the shop in the last few days for ceramic coat, I couldn't drive it (upgrade happened while car was in the shop - I couldn't resist after watching many youtubers have fun w/ it). Drive the car today for the first time since the speed boost: feel like a different car !!!

Just side notes:

I think the car sickness is because you are not used to driving with regenerative braking, and automatic stopping. You will adapt to the car by adjusting your driving style to make it more smooth. I also got sick as well at first, but adjusted quickly. I doubt it has anything to do with the roof.

You can try an experiment by turning off regenerative braking and auto stopping once, and I bet they will all feel better.

Reactions: DanDi58
I think the car sickness is because you are not used to driving with regenerative braking, and automatic stopping. You will adapt to the car by adjusting your driving style to make it more smooth. I also got sick as well at first, but adjusted quickly. I doubt it has anything to do with the roof.

You can try an experiment by turning off regenerative braking and auto stopping once, and I bet they will all feel better.
This.

+2. My wife said it was horrible until I got used to driving more smoothly.

My wife also had issues when we first drove Teslas and shortly after we bought my Model 3. Now she has her own, a Model Y. I think when a car is new, your family is looking at the car interior and not on the road. That could cause the motion sickness. It also takes some getting used to the quick acceleration and regen braking. I would guess everyone will be accustomed to it and the sickness will go away within a week. Enjoy your new ride! Looks amazing!

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy