Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pick up MYP yesterday, paint issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I ordered my MYP on June 30th. My wife and I picked it up yesterday. The car came with the new door panels, the mobile connector (surprised), and no cargo cover. We did notice several paint issues. There was a chip on the front fender that had been touched up (looked awful, they tried to improve it), a black scratch on the hatch that the service center tried to fix (still looks bad, forgot to get pic), and it appears some debris under the clear coat. I also noticed the ultrasonic sensors were not completely flush and had a little gap between them and the bumper. The body panels of the car were mostly okay although I did notice some issues where the A pillar meets the fender.

We accepted the car made a service appoint for 1 month from now to have them look at it. What do you all think of these paint issues? Minor? Just live with them? I really hesitate to have Tesla or a body shop try to correct them. In my experience things like this can be more of a headache then they are worth and sometimes having them worked on will only make it worse.

IMG_2304.jpgIMG_2305.jpgIMG_2306.jpgIMG_2307.jpgIMG_2308.jpgTesla Pickup Day.jpg

It looks like one spot with something under the paint/clear coat. It is not major, and Tesla approved body shop should be able to touch up and blend in since it is tiny. My MYP came with one spot bigger than that on the A pillar and I just used a touch up paint and covered with the PPF.
It still shows (only to me) and no one else notices because you will have many other chips and marks on the paint as you use the car and those are bigger and more visible than your current paint issue.

Thanks you two for the input. I'll probably just leave it alone. I'm not sure it is worth the time/effort for a car that will be covered in little imperfections over the next 50,000 miles. However, it is annoying to pick up a new car with so many flaws. I wish Tesla would just offer me some sort of credit so I would feel better about it.

What do you all think of these paint issues? Minor? Just live with them? I really hesitate to have Tesla or a body shop try to correct them. In my experience things like this can be more of a headache then they are worth and sometimes having them worked on will only make it worse.
We had some paint issues on ours as well, putting aside the paint the rest of the car was pretty spot on. I actually didn't notice the paint issues till later when I was prepping the car for PPF and ceramic coating. I had a ton of over spray on the rear bumper and a couple finger prints or smudges deep in the clear on one of the passenger doors. Anyhow, since I was gonna cut and polish the clear coat anyways, I fixed all the issues. I cut the clear down and removed the smudges and same with the over spray.

For your issues it looks like you can cut and buff the contaminants in the clear out. Do you have a random orbital or a trusty detailer? I'm pretty sure after some detail work, it would address 98% of issues. Here's a link to more paint problems I discovered later, although its damage from road debris and not something from Tesla, to give you an idea of how much you can do with paint after the fact. Good luck though.

It amazes me that Tesla is still having these issues after all this time. Our MY delivered 3/31/21 was flawless but it's looking like we were just lucky. I've since put full frontal ppf on and ceramic pro so the paint is just lustrous. Not to brag but Tesla should be able to be more consistent with their q/c.

It the contaminants are under the clear coat, you can wet sand it and polish. If the contaminants are under the paint, wet sanding will take out both the paint and clearcoat leaving you the primer exposed, which you can do the touch up and polish and it will mask almost all defect.