Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pick up using Power of Attorney

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this has been posted in the past, but there is limited info on the forum. Has anyone picked up their car using power of attorney. I totally get that you would be relying on another person to inspect the car, etc etc, just wondering if anyone has done this and what their experience was.

Discussed this with a Tesla salesperson... here's what's needed

1) Tesla's POA form
2) Notarized at a DMV
3) A Tesla employee must be present and be a witness on the notarized form

Having your own notarized POA form will NOT work
I did some digging since I posted the original post and I find this a bit strange. A PoA should be valid if it meets the state's requirements. I don't think Tesla can force you to use one of theirs, much less have it notarized at a DMV and for a Tesla employee to be a witness on the form.

I did some digging since I posted the original post and I find this a bit strange. A PoA should be valid if it meets the state's requirements. I don't think Tesla can force you to use one of theirs, much less have it notarized at a DMV and for a Tesla employee to be a witness on the form.
You're correct that it may vary from state to state.

The 3 requirements I posted applies for Pennsylvania.

For other states, I recommend contacting/coordinating with the Tesla Service Center.

I live in the State of New Jersey. I will be away on vacation when my car is expected to arrive. I was told that the State of New Jersey does not accept "Power of Attorney" statements. I would be willing to pay in advance and have my son pick the car up for me. Has anyone else had this issue?

As an update: I had my attorney check with the State of New Jersey and “They do accept Power of Attorney” documents. When I confronted my salesperson he had a manger call me who said it is a Tesla rule! They are in the driver seat so I suspect they must have had some negative issues in the past.

Went into the Tesla dealer in Lynnwood, WA (north of Seattle) last night and signed power of attorney so my wife can take delivery, if I'm unavailable. Took 5 minutes, after a short wait for the staff member who is a notary to be freed up.