Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pick up/ VIN Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered yesterday and received a vin (088xxx).

I’ve been prompted for a pickup appointment for this Friday or Saturday.

Am I getting a rejected delivery from another order?

This happened way faster than I anticipated. I thought I was going to be taking delivery in Jan. Turns out the MY is a Christmas gift for the wife. I was going to wrap the wall charger and put it under the tree as a way breaking the surprise.

This happened way faster than I anticipated. I thought I was going to be taking delivery in Jan. Turns out the MY is a Christmas gift for the wife. I was going to wrap the wall charger and put it under the tree as a way breaking the surprise.
I doubt it. That’s a very, very recent VIN. It’s more likely that you just happened to order a config that was already built and on its way to your region.

It was probably was sitting in the factory inventory lot, found a match to your build, assigned to you then loaded onto the truck to Utah for delivery.

3 days ago I placed an order, my vin was assigned within minutes 084###. Earliest delivery appointment to Raleigh North Carolina was Dec 24.

Dude you should watch this SNL skit from this past weekend for the “fake commercial” for Lexus. You might want to rethink you’re gift. Lol. See link below.

That being said it’s not necessarily a reject. It could be financing fell through, someone changed their minds or Tesla is just building ones they know will sell with the all hands on deck push for end of year deliveries. You can ask your SA for the build date and how you got a VIN match so quick. I ordered on 9/10 and was quoted a 7-11 week wait. 6 days later I was matched to a VIN. I had to defer that one because I needed to sell a vehicle that was going to be used as the money for a lot of the down payment. I thought I had many more weeks to sell it. Anyway I sold the vehicle pretty quickly after that (Tesla trade in offer was pretty shitty) and was rematched with a new VIN for delivery on 9/30. Build date 9/12. It was pretty awesome. A few minor issues. Rectified by the Service Center easily. Best thing is go in with an open mind and inspect it really well. You can see if it has the laminated glass, metal steering wheel scroll buttons and USB in glove box to confirm it’s a very recent build. But If it doesn’t feel right or look right, go with your gut and defer. You go back in the queue, no harm, no foul. Just a little bit longer wait. Unless you change your mind after the SNL spoof.

• Funny
Reactions: AmbienWalrus
Good advice. I’ll definitely give it a close look.

I’ve been driving Japanese-made vehicles for a long time (the ones actually MIJ) and I worry a little about the switch to Tesla. Truth is I want to buy American and there’s nothing appealing on offer domestically outside of Tesla. I’m prepared for some compromises on quality because even though it makes just a tiny difference I want to support this company and what it’s doing.

I didn’t know that deferral was an option—the contract didn’t have any provisions for that, but I’m aware of the UCC section that provides for inspection upon delivery and rejection for defects.

Dude you should watch this SNL skit.
That was solid. Had her do a test drive in Sept. along with some other ICE vehicles. She giggled the whole test drive and three months later she’s still talks about how impressed she was.

Wow, that's lucky. Lots of us have been waiting for 6+ weeks. 88xxx is right in the range with all the ones being delivered now so pretty doubtful it was a reject-unless it was a very recent reject at your dealership. But realistically this was just serendipity. Congrats and enjoy.

And you can definitely defer. In So Cal they said if I defer it will probably be March before another shipment comes through.

Wow. That is definitely the highest VIN I've heard of yet. If I wasn't an idiot and sold my car I would try to wait until next quarter for them to really get things locked down and possibly a larger battery.

Same here. Sold my car quicker than expected and pulled the trigger on the MY. OTOH they keep coming out with new features and upgrades as it is a constant progress so I just lease the car and replace it in 3 years.

When I ordered in mid-November, my SA told me that Tesla usually makes a big push at the end of the quarter, and if I ordered then I was likely to get the car quickly, but if I waited until January to order (current ICE lease ends mid-January), I might easily not get a car until March, end of Q1 2021. If true, you're probably just profiting from the end-of-quarter push. Congratulations!

VINs must be somewhat sequential as we have seen the number go higher and higher. They definitely were not in the 80s in the spring and summer...

Will everyone just stop with VIN envy!!! There is a logical order in VIN assignment but there are also factors to that assignment that we just don't know as outsiders from the manufacturing process. The ONLY question you need answered is WHEN was it built!

If the car was a reject, honestly I see no reason for them to tell you (ethically they should if asked). The reason for rejection is completely subjective, inspect the car for yourself and if it's not everything you wished for than reject it. Worst case you have to wait a little longer. I think I speak for a lot of people here pass no judgment on that call but I also can so there are 100 others that will take the car home given the chance.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....

with that said, mine is Blue w/white interior and she is going to be HOT AF! (Built 12/5, Delivery 12/19). Admittedly I am the guy that will reject the car if the screen protector is removed prior to inspection (one of my 'Top 5' reasons for delivery)

When I ordered in mid-November, my SA told me that Tesla usually makes a big push at the end of the quarter, and if I ordered then I was likely to get the car quickly, but if I waited until January to order (current ICE lease ends mid-January), I might easily not get a car until March, end of Q1 2021. If true, you're probably just profiting from the end-of-quarter push. Congratulations!

You can always defer it and tell them to setup an automatic match on Jan 4th, the only catch is you might get it towards the end of the month or early February

Just a question, Got a call from my SA, found me a match WHT/no tow, no FSD. The Vin is a 732XX. He assures me that it is a 2021(build date 11/28/2020) with all of the updates. Why is my VIN so much lower then some that I have seen(92). I am taking delivery on 12/24, unless there is a major problem I will be accepting the car . Ha anyone receive a VIN in that range that can tell me if it has all on the latest updates.

Thanks

Just a question, Got a call from my SA, found me a match WHT/no tow, no FSD. The Vin is a 732XX. He assures me that it is a 2021(build date 11/28/2020) with all of the updates. Why is my VIN so much lower then some that I have seen(92). I am taking delivery on 12/24, unless there is a major problem I will be accepting the car . Ha anyone receive a VIN in that range that can tell me if it has all on the latest updates.

Thanks
No one really knows how Tesla VIN’s work. I would go in with an open mind take your time and inspect the hell out of it. Document any issues with your delivery person, take pics, If it’s acceptable to you then take delivery. Set up a service appointment to address whatever issues you might need fixed. I would be curious to know what your SA means by “all the latest updates”. I’d want to make sure anything you’re wanting and expecting us there. Congrats and good luck.