Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up 2023 Model Y today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my MYLR5 PW/BW today. I had a reservation on an X for a few months but with the $7500 discount, went with a MY.

Was fortunate to get one from inventory last week Thursday (12/22) that was spec’ed the way I wanted, and scheduled pick for earlier today (12/26).

It’s a Fremont build and did not include matrix headlights, mud flaps or PPF around the rear doors. 5 miles on the odometer.

After placing the order for the MY, I texted with the advisor about transferring the deposit from the X to the Y. It showed up yesterday and the final numbers were adjusted as expected.

The delivery experience was smooth, and the staff member was courteous and accommodating. I had ample time for a thorough inspection. They fixed a few minor items while I waited. Three others will require a service appointment (replace headlight, replace trim clip, adjust bumper alignment), which I will hr scheduling soon.

This forum served as a tremendous resource to prep me on what to look for and what to expect from order to pickup and beyond. A huge THANK YOU to the community. Happy to have my first EV and glad to have that be a Tesla.

Now to figure out if I want to get PPF on the front clip and rear doors; whether or not I should tint the windows + windshield; and which sunshade to buy.

Attachments

• 69C54BDC-E122-46CE-B168-F34275013FDF.jpeg
    69C54BDC-E122-46CE-B168-F34275013FDF.jpeg
    580.4 KB · Views: 459
Congratulations!

I recommend getting mud flaps ASAP and ppf for the rear doors at least.

I was very pleased with this two piece roof sunshade:

The single piece ones are inferior. The Heatshield one is held on with suction cups and has a big warning that you should not use it while driving.

I live in the high desert. The sun is brutal here so tinting made a big difference.

Reactions: CDrury
I picked up a new Model Y Performance yesterday (Tamps), and while things were hectic with lots of people picking up cars, the staff was friendly, helpful and courteous. It was overall a pleasant experience. I had totaled my 22 MY (not P) and thought I would be without a 2nd Tesla for months (my wife drives our M3).

Reactions: Yelobird
Congratulations!

I recommend getting mud flaps ASAP and ppf for the rear doors at least.

I was very pleased with this two piece roof sunshade:

The single piece ones are inferior. The Heatshield one is held on with suction cups and has a big warning that you should not use it while driving.

I live in the high desert. The sun is brutal here so tinting made a big difference.
Thanks for the info. What are your thoughts on spending approximately $1500 on PPF for the front clip?

Reactions: navguy12
Congrats! Now to outfit the Y with some goodies given that you save a boatload moving from an X + $7500 credit, lol.

Mud flaps is a must IMO. Also, get one of those rear door ppf side guard. Super easy to apply (If I can do it, anyone can) and is an additional piece of mine especially on your white MY.

I personally PPF the front bumper + headlight + foglight and after driving around 500+ miles on it, I can see how the bumper can get scuffed up quickly.

Reactions: navguy12 and BitJam
PPF my front bumper only ($500). After 20k, spotless and easy to clean.

my first Y had 30k and no PPF, i had a few rock chips And scratches But at the end when u sell, I don’t think anyone would care for a few minor bump and bruises. It’s a used car!

+1 on PPF front bumper. We have over 40 chips so far in 20k miles. Wish I'd done it (and I never go for this kind of stuff).

I put the mud flaps on myself, super easy, but they've both come off 2x each, hitting ice ruts in the streets and driveway. Does not take much to dislodge them. Now the mounting holes are all chewed up, will take some work to fix them. IDK the lesson here, maybe have Tesla install them so they are more on the hook to repair them?

I installed the EV mud flap. The flexible ones. their mounting is more secured. And I scrape them all the time from my MYP being low. I think it look nicer and more durable. But triple the cost. 🤦‍♂️😭

lucky I won them on eBay for $25. 😁

• Love
Reactions: navguy12 and OxBrew
I installed the EV mud flap. The flexible ones. their mounting is more secured. And I scrape them all the time from my MYP being low. I think it look nicer and more durable. But triple the cost. 🤦‍♂️😭

Those look great, I'm getting a set right now.

Thanks for the info. What are your thoughts on spending approximately $1500 on PPF for the front clip?
Is the "front clip" the front half of the car? That's what I did and I'm really happy with it. In addition to protecting the car from bugs and other stuff in the air, it makes washing and waxing easier because I don't have to wax the front half. Every time I wash/inspect the car I feel grateful for the ppf.

For me, getting just the front half done was the sweet spot.

Reactions: navguy12
@BitJam @Kokukenji

Here is a preview of the Xpel Stealth + Alloygator on my MYP. Other stuff not done yet so will have a full picture when ready.

No curb rash prior to Alloygator install, as I drove carefully.

Attachments

• 20221228_135013.jpg
    20221228_135013.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 231
  • 20221228_134837.jpg
    20221228_134837.jpg
    543.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 20221228_134829.jpg
    20221228_134829.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 20221228_134958.jpg
    20221228_134958.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 231
Reactions: WyoDude
Thanks for all the replies. After reading above as well as other posts, this one convinced me to forgo PPF. I figure if/when I sell a few years the down the road and the paint chips are significant, I’ll be open to taking a little bit less for the car. Also saves me the hassle of finding a shop and doing drop off/pick up.

Thanks again for all the comments and advice.

Reactions: WyoDude

Didn’t find any on eBay or other marketplaces. For $30 more I’m thinking offering of just buying OEM ($160). Not sure if the installation is in included. Any reason to avoid OE mud flaps?