Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up 2023 Model Y today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So long as they don’t let loose at speed and take all the paint off your fender which has happened to a few people. Like the idea just seems like it opens up a more costly issue If something goes wrong.

I heard of that too, but wonder many of those were installed properly. The dealer has heard stories of them coming off due to improper installation including some dealers who were delisted for not installing properly repeatedly and using their own methods instead of the instructed one.

My friend also has Alloygators for his Infinity and has no issues.

Last edited:
I installed the EV mud flap. The flexible ones. their mounting is more secured. And I scrape them all the time from my MYP being low. I think it look nicer and more durable. But triple the cost. 🤦‍♂️😭

lucky I won them on eBay for $25. 😁

I’ve used this style (from, I think, that exact supplier from Quebec) since mid 2018; works like a charm.

I have “small” units for three seasons and “large” units for winter.

I swap out the small three season units used for the front wheel wells, when I install my winter tire/wheels.

The larger units have successfully let me drive five winters with no paint damage to the rockers.

The units are held in place with longer trim push pins utilizing the OEM push pin locations, plus a clip that attaches to the edge of the wheel liner.

Reactions: yellowr6
Thanks for all the replies. After reading above as well as other posts, this one convinced me to forgo PPF. I figure if/when I sell a few years the down the road and the paint chips are significant, I’ll be open to taking a little bit less for the car. Also saves me the hassle of finding a shop and doing drop off/pick up.

Thanks again for all the comments and advice.
Spot on

Reactions: GoodKarma
So long as they don’t let loose at speed and take all the paint off your fender which has happened to a few people. Like the idea just seems like it opens up a more costly issue If something goes wrong.
I have had problems with rim protectors coming loose and beating my cars paint surface (luckily, I had PPF). I don't recommend and would not buy again.

Thanks for all the replies. After reading above as well as other posts, this one convinced me to forgo PPF. I figure if/when I sell a few years the down the road and the paint chips are significant, I’ll be open to taking a little bit less for the car. Also saves me the hassle of finding a shop and doing drop off/pick up.

Thanks again for all the comments and advice.
Yes, it’s not often people can afford to off load a car every 2 - 3 years. If you can afford the full body protection film. I’d say go for it. But remember the rock chip paint match is close to impossible for metallic paints. Just a hood spray ona Tesla to a Toyota Corolla with pearl metallic paint at a deft body shop is $1400. So yes it’s worth it to get full body ppf. Now would not get it a bolt or Nissan leaf. But I got it on my MYP last year and basically living in the north east with all the road salt itself. I’m not regretting my purchase.

Reactions: navguy12
Congratulations!

I recommend getting mud flaps ASAP and ppf for the rear doors at least.

I was very pleased with this two piece roof sunshade:

The single piece ones are inferior. The Heatshield one is held on with suction cups and has a big warning that you should not use it while driving.

I live in the high desert. The sun is brutal here so tinting made a big difference.
Dumb question - why prioritize the rear doors over front of car? I thought if you had a limited budget, the front would be where you’d want to spend on for PPF

Dumb question - why prioritize the rear doors over front of car? I thought if you had a limited budget, the front would be where you’d want to spend on for PPF
PPF for the rear doors is $100 or less. The front costs much more. The rear doors are vulnerable because the front tires throw gravel and stones at them. You can get the rear door PPF from Tesla directly. It doesn't cover the entire door, just the small part that can get hit by stones from the front tires.

I got PPF put on the rear doors and the front. It's great. But if your budget is limited then you might want to only get the rear doors done.

Reactions: navguy12
PPF for the rear doors is $100 or less. The front costs much more. The rear doors are vulnerable because the front tires throw gravel and stones at them. You can get the rear door PPF from Tesla directly. It doesn't cover the entire door, just the small part that can get hit by stones from the front tires.

I got PPF put on the rear doors and the front. It's great. But if your budget is limited then you might want to only get the rear doors done.
Get the clear PPF if your doing partial :)