Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up 22 RWD after a year wait. What can I expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a pilot and commute 190 miles each way and usually 5 round trips a month. I park in a lot where there is free charging so I will be able to charge back to 100 percent as I’m away on my three day flying trips. Can I expect to get to my 190 mile destination without having to charge driving 75-85MPH? I live in the Northern California Valley so very hot weather from May-October.

I believe that the 2022 RWD is rated for 267 miles of range. That should be doable for a 190 mile commute at extra highway speeds as long as you start near 100%. However, if it was me, I'd make sure that there was a Supercharger about 125-150 miles from each of your starting locations. That will give you peace-of-mind in case of excessive energy being used or if you have to detour on one of your trips.

I am a pilot and commute 190 miles each way and usually 5 round trips a month. I park in a lot where there is free charging so I will be able to charge back to 100 percent as I’m away on my three day flying trips. Can I expect to get to my 190 mile destination without having to charge driving 75-85MPH? I live in the Northern California Valley so very hot weather from May-October.
We turo rented a 2021 M3 SR+ last week. Impressive "base" car. Was very efficient! Got better than rated for the whole 4 day rental energy wise. Got 200 wh/mile Ave and coming from our X, that's really good. Includes 400 miles on interstate at 72-74 mph at 85-95 degs so AC on, out of 650 miles total trip.

I believe the 2022 has a LFP battery that can handle 100% charges without degredation better than the NCA battery used previously, so charging to 100% and leaving not as bad as doing that in previous cars. Before and on all other Teslas, really don't want to charge above 90% unless driving right away for battery longevity.

On the plus side, the battery is smaller and it goes long way with the energy it has, such that the charge per minute at a Super Charger gets you 2x the percent gain we get in our X.(51kw usable in the 3 we rented VS 97kw in the X) If you do need to charge on the way, it will be a very short 5-10 minutes.

Can I expect to get to my 190 mile destination without having to charge driving 75-85MPH?
You’ll need to do under 300Wh/mi to make it when the car is new, and 270Wh/mi after you lose 10% of your capacity. I’m assuming it is the flat Central Valley.

Should be doable. Might be a problem at over 85mph but not a problem at all at 75mph.

The rare torrential rain might make it tough but you’ll also be going slower so it will probably be ok.

Last edited: