Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked UP - Day 1 - Questions and Help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yesterday was the day - picked up my MS 90D -- the process was super easy, and everyone was very nice. Disappointed that I couldn't get any swag besides 1 umbrella, a mug, and a pin...but besides that

1. Woke up - all 4 tire pressure warning was showing my dash -- how can I remove that warning? I live in NJ - so with the weather dropping and changing I know this will happen. What PSI should they be at??

2. Still very confused by the energy consumption chart -- my green battery showing me 240 but the chart is showing me like 160... does that mean I only have 160 miles? because that would be pretty sad -- i charged to 90% my work is only like 20 miles...all highway pretty much

3. When using navigation - how can i stop the bar from disappearing?? also i want to keep it zoomed in - but for some reason, it zooms out when i switch menus etc...

4. Does anyone feel the feet heater / blower is mad weak? yesterday when we picked up the car, and drove up i had it like on 76 and fan like 5 and i could barely feel it.

5. Subzero - my wife drives a range rover evoque, and compared to that the heated seats and wheel is a joke -- any idea??

6. Driver side - i hear a lot of air noise - not sure if that is normal

My extended range is off --

any input is appreciated --

Short drives always look bad on the average consumption - heating (or cooling) the cabin and battery pack make for much higher consumption for the first five or ten miles of a trip in my experience.

Having said that, yes, that's exactly what it means - if your consumption remained the same as what it had been, the battery would be drained in 160 miles.

If you put the navigation at the bottom, it won't expand and eat the menu bars. I'm not aware of a way to disable the auto zooming feature at the moment.

Congatulations on your new car!

1- Tire pressure on a Model S should normally be at 45PSI - there is a sticker in the drivers door frame. Model S is a heavy car and I find that in addition to seasonal temperature changes, you do have to top tire pressure up a little more often especially if your roads are bumpier.

2-The battery gauge displays EPA rated range, the energy graph is estimated range based on actual use in the last 10 miles or so - this averaging distance is adjustable on the tabs in the main screen. In cold weather, the initial use will be higher, sometimes much higher, for the first 10-20 miles. This effect will diminish as the weather warms up or if you preheat the car while plugged in with range mode off.

3-We’re all stuck with the disappearing top bar for now. I would rather it was a toggle myself …the zooming is also now automatic and will reset …constantly ...

4-The heater is actually quite powerful, but the climate control is not all that smart. I use range mode in the winter which reduces heater output and I ‘m still fine in Montreal. It does help if you manually set some of the climate controls to avoid alternating between AC and heat. I turn AC off and direct air to the feet and windshield and leave the recirculation and fan on Auto. Then, I map the fan speed to the right steering wheel control button. You can then reset the fan to auto by clicking the scroll wheel or vary fan speed to keep windows clear, I keep the temp at 72 or so all winter. The HI temp setting uses a lot of battery power …seat heaters use very little power.

5- My steering wheel heat is both good and fast, comparable to previous German cars …

6-It is normal to notice air and tire noise more than you did in other cars, partly because everything else is so quiet and partly because the car body is lightweight aluminium and glass. There are or were several known air leak locations, notably the door handle gaskets and around the small triangle windows. If you have an air leak from a seal that is not sealing properly, you will likely be able to feel it driving in the winter.

Consider setting your displayed range to percent, rather than miles - it is much less upsetting and much more useful once you get used to it. Displaying the energy graph in the instrument display will give you the current and estimated range numbers you need to manage your energy use.

Also, if you can get your comfort sorted out, consider using range mode in the winter, especially for short trips and when the car is left outside. With range mode on, battery usage is less than half what it would be when starting out in cold weather. Range mode does a few things - eliminates the battery heater, enables torque sleep on the motors and routes all motor heat to the battery. Turn range mode off if you are preheating while plugged in as you want the battery heater on in that situation. Using range mode will cause it to take longer to get regen back on a cold car, but it is better for battery life and energy use. Finally, range mode allows the battery to run at a higher temperature - not a good thing in warm weather, so I would limit range mode to cold weather unless you really need it.

Last edited:
So yesterday was the day - picked up my MS 90D -- the process was super easy, and everyone was very nice. Disappointed that I couldn't get any swag besides 1 umbrella, a mug, and a pin...but besides that
and your complaint is? you didn't get more stuff you don't want to pay for?
1. Woke up - all 4 tire pressure warning was showing my dash -- how can I remove that warning? I live in NJ - so with the weather dropping and changing I know this will happen. What PSI should they be at??
the correct answer can be found on a sticker attached to the drivers side door wall, just like any other car
2. Still very confused by the energy consumption chart -- my green battery showing me 240 but the chart is showing me like 160... does that mean I only have 160 miles? because that would be pretty sad -- i charged to 90% my work is only like 20 miles...all highway pretty much
what chart are you referring to? may I refer you to the tesla website or owners manual which can be brought on your car's touchscreen, you should read them because those resources contain a lot of valuable information.
3. When using navigation - how can i stop the bar from disappearing?? also i want to keep it zoomed in - but for some reason, it zooms out when i switch menus etc...
sadly the answer is no to both questions, the functionality of the nav system is an ongoing issue.
4. Does anyone feel the feet heater / blower is mad weak? yesterday when we picked up the car, and drove up i had it like on 76 and fan like 5 and i could barely feel it.
mad weak? I guess that's a bit over stated, just so you know the heating system is not like the heaters found in ICE cars. the heater in your new car will never provide the heating that you are used to and your turning it up so high
will cause you to suffer a significant loss of range, I hope you got the cold weather package so you'll be able to keep warm with the heated seats so you won't need to rely on the inefficient car heating system
5. Subzero - my wife drives a range rover evoque, and compared to that the heated seats and wheel is a joke -- any idea??
I have no response because I have no idea about how your wife's car works. all I can say is that in my car I can be fairly comfortable driving in sub freezing temps relying on a pre warming of the car and then just using the heated seats.
6. Driver side - i hear a lot of air noise - not sure if that is normal
no it isn't normal and your SvC should look at and correct the problem

• Disagree
Reactions: GTIceman
Some tips:

Definitely turn on climate from app on cold mornings.

For even better "warm up" charge battery to say 85% at night and then charge to 90% in morning.

I've seen that the miles are fairly correct on trips, better than I would have thought. But definitely warm up car while on shore power so you minimize the dip as the car starts moving on cold morning.

Driver side noise. I did have to bring my S back to dealer so they could optimize the seal between top right driver door glass and car. Just needed some adjustment and now it is a ton more quiet.

Don't let your wife drive the tesla, She will not want to drive that old evoke and you'll never get to drive the tesla. That's what happened to me and I had to lease another tesla. ;)

your ears do funny things. well, really it's your brain. but the point is, most likely reason you seem to hear more road noise is because there is no engine noise. the background noise volume is much lower in a Tesla, so it's easier to hear things like the road.