Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up M3 yesterday and now a few minor problems (Not Major)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davidmc

May 20, 2019
Leicester
Before i start the car itself is fantastic and a massive step up for me in driving performance an simplicity. I love the Regen breaking now (took some getting use too but quickly adjusted) and the simple way all the controls are on one screen. Very well designed and thought off. I think it is designed to cater for the new generation of iPhone/iPad users (Other manufacture phones/tablets are also available!). Sorry older generation but buttons are no more :p (Who still has there Blackberry and wont budge!)

Anyway to the problems - (Nr 3 someone may know of a quick fix as i have a Service booking for the 12th Sept)

Picked up the car yesterday and have noticed the following plus errors that appeared last night:
  1. Longish Paint chip (About 2 inches in length) inside between front drivers door and rear door where they meet (Luckily not seen unless you open the drivers door.
  2. Front Door looks misaligned at the bottom (you can see a few mill difference and reflection looks out), it does not look like the other side with nice clean lines.
  3. Last one happened last night while driving, warnings popped up for Brake Fluid Low, Traction control disabled Automatic break is disabled and Autopilot features have been disabled. This one stays on all the time now even after a reboot!
  4. Last one my mate noticed - the Black paint looks not very cleanly sprayed? like it was rushed (Sprayed)? a very slight dimply effect. Anyone else who has a black car confirm if this is acceptable or like theirs? I'm kinda not fussed but if its different its should be fixed.

I still have yet to do a full survey of the car as i was on cloud cuckoo land when picking up and was dark-ish by the time i got home last night.

Other than those above its like driving a space ship (That's my feeling). And i'm a very happy bunny

:D

PS. had people honking me asking what it was while on the roads last night! Also its more Kids that seem to be the ones stopping & staring and then pointing at you as you drive by :)

PPS. When is Tesla releasing Microsoft Office 365 for it. Might use it as my office :)

Someone I know had the brake fluid issue. On the way home from collection! Could be one to add to the collection check lists if not already on there.
Do they use a standard formulation? If so I think I would be tempted just to do that one up myself.

Reactions: davidmc
Someone I know had the brake fluid issue. On the way home from collection! Could be one to add to the collection check lists if not already on there.
Do they use a standard formulation? If so I think I would be tempted just to do that one up myself.
I agree it is one to add to the list, but it does not show up straight away which is annoying!

I have googled and seen a few X & S owners have had similar stories and could be a sensor that's not connected properly. Apparently its a known fault and easy to fix which i hope this is.

Reactions: Rooster6655
My black car is also a bit orange peel like paint wise, only something you notice up close - suspect they are all like it.

I also had the brake fluid low warning, which then disables autopilot etc.. I did book this in with the SC, they were going to send a ranger, but in this particular instance it took so long to arrange I ended up topping it up with DOT4 myself, no further repeat issues :)

My black car is also a bit orange peel like paint wise, only something you notice up close - suspect they are all like it.

I also had the brake fluid low warning, which then disables autopilot etc.. I did book this in with the SC, they were going to send a ranger, but in this particular instance it took so long to arrange I ended up topping it up with DOT4 myself, no further repeat issues :)
How did you do that if you don't mind me asking? Is it easy to do

How did you do that if you don't mind me asking? Is it easy to do

You need to remove the front access panel under the frunk (it unclips), then top up the brake fluid, it'll only need a tiny amount. Someone on one of the facebook groups posted a video on how it's done. It's on YouTube, so hopefully I'll come up with a search.

Brake fluid ruins paint though, so lots of care is needed if you decide to do it.

Anecdotally, it seems that paint problems are worse with black. I know it's easy to ntt pick, but these are not the sort of problems anyone wants to see on a new car. I hope that OP's problems get sorted quickly.
Thanks and its good(although not!) to hear others with black are in the same boat regards the paint. It was my mate who noticed it as its something i never really notice! Having come from Company cars for the last 15 years!

Me to regards the other bits but seems everyone else has a few problems hence the 3 week wait for a service centre book in!

I have a black one. Can’t say I noticed “orange peeling” but there was a small chip on the paint that has been reported and will hopefully be fixed soon.
My only other niggle (so far) is that the front passenger door seems slightly misaligned so doesn’t close as easily. Again, hopefully simple to sort out.
A bit disappointed that this has happened but in the grand scheme of things (there really are some horror stories out there!) and bearing in mind how FANTASTIC the car has been I am not that fussed :)

Reactions: davidmc
Anecdotally, it seems that paint problems are worse with black. I know it's easy to ntt pick, but these are not the sort of problems anyone wants to see on a new car. I hope that OP's problems get sorted quickly.

It wouldn't surprise me if that's why the default colour changed to white ... too many black cars needing to be rectified. Mine will be a "Midnight Silver Metallic" so am keeping fingers crossed. The best paint finish I ever had on a car was an early (2002) new style Mini that was silver metallic. It really was flawless (well until hit by that that huge rock that always gets kicked up by the car in front within 3 weeks of picking up your new car ...)

Thanks and its good(although not!) to hear others with black are in the same boat regards the paint. It was my mate who noticed it as its something i never really notice! Having come from Company cars for the last 15 years!

Me to regards the other bits but seems everyone else has a few problems hence the 3 week wait for a service centre book in!
Ours is black (also in Derby) and I've compared it to a brand new VW Up which now sits alongside it on the drive. The Up is also black albeit metallic. The Up is a "bit" better but not markedly. If anything the Tesla is a tiny bit orange-peely on the rear upper wings as the earlier post mentioned, but not so as I'll worry about it. However, there is thin paint in the door jamb area but seems lots have that and Tesla aren't too responsive to doing anything about it. Every chance we will ask the top-drawer wrap guy in Mansfield to PPF it. Will head over there next week to get that arranged.