Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up Model Y Today Substandard Tires - Class Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fairchild

14S,16 X90,18 3,19 XRvn, 21 Y, 14S. 22 YP, 23 3
Mar 27, 2016
Florida
Picked up the LR Y today.
The delivery was uneventful and smooth.
I had to ask them for my self-referral credit which they took care of straight away.
Largely a no-touch delivery. Had plenty of time to examine the vehicle.
Found only one small superficial scratch on the front bumper which I documented, but think it will rub out.

Major issue for me. Got the worthless Continental Tires. Now listen up!

I made the delivery rep check he tread all the way around and surprise!! They are all 7/32.

Now wouldn't you think when you order a NEW car, you would get new tires???

I had this same experience with my Model X, but it had 1250 miles on it before I got to measure it.

This really reeks of a CLASS ACTION SUIT to me. Anyone on board, let me know and I will get the atty.

20201110_121722_resized.jpg

1605037791642.jpg
1605040096050.jpg 1605040138978.jpg
1605037842843.jpg
1605037904083.jpg

You have the option to reject the delivery, you made the rep measure the tires then still accepted it. If it is significantly less than the manufactures specifications then yes we should bring this to the attention of Tesla and if they refuse to accept responsibility and it is proven that they are not 'new' tires, then legal action should be taken. Not sue first then ask questions later.

I have to say this whole post is weird dude.

Its cool if you want to post about picking up your car and post pics posing in front of it but it doesn't fit the message at all. This feels like a grab for some sort of attention. The main topic of the post is taking legal action against Tesla but 1 picture shows a tire depth gauge then the remaining 5 out of 6 total pictures are you and your SO posing in front of the car.

You have the option to reject the delivery, you made the rep measure the tires then still accepted it. If it is significantly less than the manufactures specifications then yes we should bring this to the attention of Tesla and if they refuse to accept responsibility and it is proven that they are not 'new' tires, then legal action should be taken. Not sue first then ask questions later.

I have to say this whole post is weird dude.

Its cool if you want to post about picking up your car and post pics posing in front of it but it doesn't fit the message at all. This feels like a grab for some sort of attention. The main topic of the post is taking legal action against Tesla but 1 picture shows a tire depth gauge then the remaining 5 out of 6 total pictures are you and your SO posing in front of the car.
Made me lol.

From Continental webpage:
ContiProContact™ Specifications for
255/45 R 19(100V)

Is this your tire? If so, Conti specs say it should be 10/32".

Your gauge shows 8/32, not 7/32. Clearly, something isn't right here, and guaranteed, your SC and Tesla would want to know about it.

Work it out with Tesla, not a lawyer. Stay chill!!!

The OEM tires installed on new cars are often built to specifications different then for their aftermarket replacements.

When Dodge sold Vipers they came with specialized tires, different in construction and tread hardness than for Michelin replacements.

Some of you guys are missing the point. This is my fifth TESLA. S E X2 and Y. I have loved them since my first Model S 85.
They are great vehicles and I would never drive an ICE car again. When I picked up my 2019 Blue Raven X, the Ludicrous mode was so new that I had to go back and have it downloaded from the factory. They actually woke up an engineer in Fremont to get the code.

While the car was in service downloading the LUDICROUS upgrade, the service tech came to me and as is standard procedure, checked the tire wear. She reported to me that all tires were at 7/32" tread. I said "WHAT?" The car only has 1,223 miles on it. I spoke with the service manager and he said there was nothing he could do about it. I let it go because I had put "some" miles on the car and I just didn't want to pursue it. The download had been canceled the day before and quite frankly I was focused on getting down to Palm Beach International Raceway to run my first quarter-mile ever. (Took the World Record for the quickest SUV, by the way, (
). After going to the track, I am sure I would have had less of a leg to stand on regarding tred wear and they new I was headed for Palm Beach. I filed the info away for another day.

With the exception of that one time on the track, I drive like a grandfather as evidenced by the 54,000 miles I had on my Pirelli All Season Verde Tires on the Red Model X when I sold it. Two previous Continental tires on the Red Model X blew out, one at 10,3000 mile and one at 14,500 miles, one on the way home from the service center after a tire inspection in which they were deemed safe. I had to be hauled 48 miles to the service center. After weeks of battling Continental for compensation, I gave up. As my local tire dealer stated, "Continental's are the most expensive poor quality tire you can buy."

To answer "who measures tire tread when taking a new delivery?" As you can see, my interest was primed after my experience with Model X. So my friend today suggested we ask the delivery agent to take a tread depth and what you see is what you get. He called out each one out at a 7. Asked the service rep to remedy. He said, "They are new. This is a tire warranty issue. Report it to service."

You may be aware that any delivery concerns must now be addressed by taking a picture and scheduling a time with the SC to discuss it. As I did, along with the small scratch on the front bumper. Certainly no need to refuse the vehicle when tires can be replaced. And yes, at this point it might merit adding it to your checklist if you are about to pick up a new vehicle.

I have never had a Continental tire last over 24,000 miles. Just replaced them on the Blue Raven last week with NEXEN tires at $176 each and they are an excellent tire so far (quite ride, good handling, good grip).

I am heading to Palm Beach for my second and last run with the Blue Raven, hopefully, next week, and I hear we may be up against the Porsche Taycan. GO TESLA! It's going to be a tough race with the Taycan having two gears.

The point I am making is that I have now received two vehicles from TESLA with less than the standard new tread depth. Both have had Continental tires. I would be curious to know if anyone else has measured their tread depth and found the same? Did I get shortchanged in tires on every TESLA I bought? Does the same thing happen with vehicles arriving with Goodyear or other tires? Does Tesla even know that Continental is selling them tires with less tread than a standard tread?

At least when HP rips you off with a small ink cartridge on a new printer, they put it in writing. When you pay $60,000 or in the case of the Model X $120,000 for a new vehicle you should expect to get the standard tread depth for a new tire.

I am merely attempting to gather information from which to go forward. Not to be dramatic, but can you imagine if every TESLA delivered has less than standard tread? This would certainly be what a class action is made of and explain why I get such limited mileage on the Contis. I fully expect it would be an issue with the tire company and not Tesla. I just checked the glove compartment and there is no copy of a tire warranty.

I am concerned that all of you get what you pay for. After I run these substandard Contis for a few thousand miles, I will probably replace them with Pirelli's or Nexens for my own safety. On my next Continental blowout (wish I still had the picture of the twisted wire), I may not be as fortunate.

I am merely attempting to look out for all of us as consumers, in order that we get what we pay for. Thanks for any information you might provide after checking your tire tread. And I agree, who would normally think about checking tire tread on a new car? I am only pointing out that perhaps we need to.

I apologize for the lengthy reply. Just wanted to clarify and respond to as many as possible.

Not sure what Contis you got. Looking at tires for our 3 I found two of the tires I was looking at came with 8 mm tread depth when new. Unless the tires looked used, I'm thinking the OEM tires could easily come with 8 mm tread depth.

Thanks for the info
8 mm is 0.315 inch
10/32" is 0.325 inch
7/32" is 0.218 inches

Sounds like you got new tires with the correct tread. Thanks again.

• Funny
Reactions: hpartsch