Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked Up My Car 5 Hours Ago - Here's What I Experienced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings - Thank again to all the forum members for their help and suggestions. The result is that I ordered a M3LR which is sitting in my garage drinking it's first "meal" on my home charger.

Frankly I was concerned about build quality and delivery problems, but experienced neither. My car is a very recent build - serial #135K series - late October birthday. It was raining when I picked up the car, but I was pleased with the entire process. The delivery team had the car ready for me and the paperwork was very efficient -- about a half hour including my questions about specific features of the car.

My iPhone and my wife's paired quickly with the M3 without incident. All functions seemed to work as expected. I didn't walk through checklists, but had them with me and read all of the posts suggesting things to look for.

Happy Surprises & Impressions:

1) The car is VERY quiet. I owned a Leaf and 2 BMW i3s, one a true BEV, the other a i3Rex - which has the onboard scooter engine that charges the battery when it wears down. The M3 is noticeably quieter than any of them.

2) Fit and finish, another thing I was concerned about, seemed fine. The car felt solid, responded to all my commands and began learning its surrounding quickly. I didn't order EAP, just the standard LR Deluxe interior package. Within a half hour the cameras began to show cars in adjacent lanes approaching or behind me - a welcome feature.

3) I have no regret, at least now, of passing on the EAP. The car is wonderful fun to drive and I enjoy driving. If you are a "seasoned driver" - read you have an AARP card - you may find that you enjoy driving the M3 too. The majority of my time behind the wheel is in local traffic in a mid sized city. EAP may be useful in such driving, but to me I'd rather do it myself. Having the standard cameras showing cars in my area is a very useful feature - also reducing my need for EAP. YMMV.

4) Deluxe audio is surprisingly good in many ways. I've used SiriusXM in all my prior cars for many years. I thought I'd really miss it. Turns out, not so much. As a senior I'm required to listen to Radio Classics on Sirius (if the show isn't at least 40 years old it's considered modern). I enjoy that channel and don't have a ready replacement for it, but Station 32 - The Bridge - on Sirius is a mix of soft rock. There are several soft rock type stations built into the M3, and they're all free! The audio quality, even in standard mode (a higher bit rate is optional if you upgrade your service) is surprising good. Far better than SiriusXM quality. There are also no annoying dropouts - the M3 network connection appears very good. So far, pleasantly surprised, and I'll upgrade to the higher bit rate audio and expect another pleasant surprise.

5) Personal Service is much appreciated. I had a problem with the timing of my delivery -- an unexpected family matter made it unclear if I would be able to get my car before I have to be out of town for an extended and unexpected amount of time. I contacted the local delivery team and they went above and beyond to help in any way they could. My sincere gratitude to Mike Toth (Raleigh NC) and his entire team. They tracked down my car, resolved differences between conflicting delivery dates, and got me my car in time to attend to other family matters. They deliver 20 cars or so a day -- to take the extra effort to help me out is FAR BEYOND the call of duty. I am very grateful to them.

Overall - my first few hours of ownership have been wonderful. The car exceeds my expectations in every way, and the local team is a large part of the reason why. Kudos.

For those that are concerned about build quality, I understand. I was there too, but frankly there were no horror stories when I arrived, the staff was well prepared, helpful and the car was fully ready. The only minor issue was the car battery was only charged to about 115 miles of range - a bit low to drive it all day long, but the Supercharger is a short 15 minute ride from the delivery lot. In about a half hour the car was at 75% battery capacity - my charging target. I drove it for a bit, and it's now finishing it's home charge - pulling about 30 miles of range/hour on a Clipper Creek 40AMP home charger.

Thanks to all for your help. Despite my concerns and fears, I'm happy to report that "All is Well".

If you're on the fence, take the plunge. You'll be as surprised and happy as I am.

On the music thing... pick a favorite song or artist of yours and have slacker search for it. Save it as a favorite once you find one you like.

The just start thumbing stuff up and down. In no time at all Slacker will start figuring out your preferences. It’s been bettter at this for me than any other streaming service and I have a fairly obscure-in-the-USA music preference (roots and rasta reggae - Slacker seems to know which of two songs using the same music score is roots/spiritual and which is not - DJs familiar with genres curate the lists).

So I don’t miss “fancier” music sustems at all. The podcast software I have issues with (it loses track of where in a cast it is when the network goes down or if you switch out to music and then go back to podcast)... but the music system is top notch.

My experience was similar. The car has no issues and the delivery went very quickly and smoothly. It has really surpassed all my expectations. I really was surprised by the performance and luxury I got. I definitely think I got my monies worth. LR RWD EAP.

Reactions: Stirfelt
1) You will find that as the temperature warms back up, that the 3 will be a lot louder than the Leaf when sitting still.
3) Rolling EAP into a loan has its advantages. It's like cruise control, it's not required to drive, but once you get used to it, it's habit making.

With the outage that impacted many users last weak, I had to drive to the airport without cruise or EAP. It reminded me of the increased workload needed just to maintain the speed of the car. The EAP features already show a decrease in workload needed when driving, and it's only going to get better.

And as someone with a AARP, when my wife was showing the car to some of my dad's friends (70+), there was skepticism, but one gentleman was really interested. He knew that the self driving car was going to allow him to keep mobile when he wouldn't be able to with today's cars.

Reactions: MaryAnning3
I thought the 64 bit compression was a Tesla limitation and even if you pay for the better service tesla will still only allow 64 bit audio?

Correct...slacker bitrate is set on a per platform basis- Tesla doesn't offer the option for higher than 64kb on the Model 3 no matter what subscription you have with slacker or what you set it to use on another platform.

My iPhone and my wife's paired quickly with the M3 without incident. All functions seemed to work as expected. I didn't walk through checklists, but had them with me and read all of the posts suggesting things to look for.

Could you possibly point me to where the checklists and things to look for are? I take delivery in three weeks! Very excited, but want to be prepared as best as possible.

Glad you had a good experience. Tesla replaced my M3LR windshield Friday because the bottom right (1 ft x 1 ft) area was rippled. Viewing was distorted. Also fixed some door weatherproofing trim - neither a biggie and they did a great job. Our one Service Center here in NoVA is getting pretty crowded and backed up though. It's only going to get worse - Tesla needs to consider an expansion or second facility...

1) You will find that as the temperature warms back up, that the 3 will be a lot louder than the Leaf when sitting still.
3) Rolling EAP into a loan has its advantages. It's like cruise control, it's not required to drive, but once you get used to it, it's habit making.

With the outage that impacted many users last weak, I had to drive to the airport without cruise or EAP. It reminded me of the increased workload needed just to maintain the speed of the car. The EAP features already show a decrease in workload needed when driving, and it's only going to get better.

And as someone with a AARP, when my wife was showing the car to some of my dad's friends (70+), there was skepticism, but one gentleman was really interested. He knew that the self driving car was going to allow him to keep mobile when he wouldn't be able to with today's cars.[/QUOTEfind EAP best to keep speed constant. With an EV if you barely change pedal pressure you’re spoed can swing 5mph easily. I am happy have it for that alone.

I think things are a bit more hectic in Fremont, but hopefully most deliveries go well.
Fremont has a fairly large delivery area with seating, coffee/ tea, and granola bars... plus a kid’s playroom.

There were a lot of employees on staff when I went there. While I waited about a half hour past my scheduled time it was pleasant rather than hectic and I was even able to do an inspection of my car ahead of time (I used the VIN number to find it on the lot).

Maybe I got lucky but my delivery guy was super pleasant, however it was also very short as I had inspect everything ahead of time and even had the car playing my favorite Slacker station (Reggae) before he got to me. ;)

I'd also love to see the checklist, too. Thank you!

1. Once you get the VIN # get your insurance
2. Take the payment as instructed by Tesla delivery coordinator
3. Drive and Enjoy

I was thinking too much about preparation, but not much to worry, other than excitement :) Only think you could do before delivery order the wall connecter and install that before take deliver or install NEMA plug in garage. I have a super charger on the way to my work, so managed with that for 3 weeks until I get the wall connecter installed.

In Michigan I hired a independent electrician and paid $900 to install the wall connector (including following work plus materials)
- 60 feet 100 amps cable from main panel to garage sub panel ( to be ready for second charger in the garage later)
- 60 amps circuit breaker in the main ( will need to replace that to 100 amps breaker when ready to put second charger later)
- small sub panel with 60 amps circuit break in the garage
- all the installation

- called 5 different electricians they all quoted from $1800 to $2800.

• Informative
Reactions: Carl_P