Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my DIRTY CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up a used 2018 Model S 100D; the car was in great shape but dirty; it looked like someone just got back from off-roading. The Interior had oily seats; the floor mats were muddy, the exterior was full of bird poops and leaves and muds. So I asked the rep, and the answer was that we are so busy these days, and we don't have a car wash service here. I thought the service was learning and improving, but nothing has changed!

• Funny
Reactions: DerbyDave
I was very disappointed in my SC last week. My car was dirty when I took it in and just as dirty when I received it. Every auto service center I have gone to (Subaru, Porsche, Mercedes, GMC, Lexus, Chevrolet) has always washed my car. It should be done before service to avoid scratching the paint while doing maintenance. This is the first one in 57 years of driving that has not done so.

Well when you are delivering 900K plus cars a year and there aren't enough service & support centers for the cars this is bound to happen. Sadly, I don't see things improving in the near future at least in the near term. The support model has to change as all Tesla vehicles are now priced in the luxury car pricing category.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Sadly, I don't see things improving in the near future at least in the near term. The support model has to change as all Tesla vehicles are now priced in the luxury car pricing category.

Agreed. Tesla’s stock price depends on quantity of deliveries, not quality of service. It’s a cynical gambit but hard to see them changing course until they have to.

I was very disappointed in my SC last week. My car was dirty when I took it in and just as dirty when I received it. Every auto service center I have gone to (Subaru, Porsche, Mercedes, GMC, Lexus, Chevrolet) has always washed my car. It should be done before service to avoid scratching the paint while doing maintenance. This is the first one in 57 years of driving that has not done so.
Do you really think they wash the car before they work on it? LOL!

No, they wash the car after the car has been worked on (most of the time) so the customer feels like something was done to the car and that whatever they paid for service is "worth it". Perception.

I just picked up a used 2018 Model S 100D; the car was in great shape but dirty; it looked like someone just got back from off-roading. The Interior had oily seats; the floor mats were muddy, the exterior was full of bird poops and leaves and muds. So I asked the rep, and the answer was that we are so busy these days, and we don't have a car wash service here. I thought the service was learning and improving, but nothing has changed!
Congrats on getting your car! I am still waiting for mine. Sounds like the car was parked outside for a long time.

Congrats on your car.

Sounds like nothing has changed since 2019 when I took delivery of my CPO. The car washed, but the interior wasn't touched,

A few items they also didn't look at but you should. I just want to point out that they don't inspect the car before it's sold.

1. Previous Owner's saved HOME and WORK addresses were still saved & visible in Navigation
2. Previous Owner's HomeLink garage option still had saved settings in there, noticed when I couldn't get my Homelink configuration set.
3. Previous Owner's Registration and Insurance docs along with service receipts still in the glove box.
4. Headlight LED wasn't working on delivery.
5. Wipers were worn, noticed after delivery (I replaced)
6. Excessive whining noises in the cabin noticed right after delivery (fixed 4 months after delivery)
7. HEPA filter and Cabin filters both were dirty (I replaced them)

I get they are busy with new deliveries, heck, I even volunteered at one point to help with the deliveries and new customer orientation.
Service no longer provides car washes, I rather they don't actually. A few new scratches appeared and all I know it wasn't me - not blaming anyone though.
With all that said, I enjoy my car. With today's gas prices, I love it more - more than my previous Audi A8L which required premium fuel.

The CPO has change pretty majorly since i bought mine in 2017, picked it up in Fremont and it was shiny and clean like it was brand new.

The service centers did used to wash the car when you took it in but they stopped that in like 2019 or so. I don't blame them its a pointless thing to waste time and money doing.

I've never taken any other car to service, (7 cars over 22 years, i do my own work) besides this tesla, so I cant speak to what other shops would do but I never expected it and I'm with tesla on not doing it since its unnecessary. But for the initial pickup/delivery of the car yes that should be clean.

When I got my 2013 S the SC in Sunnyvale they washed the car every time I brought it in (2 DUs replaced). But then the drought stopped carwashing as they didn't have the water recycling system required by the state. But for used and new cars at least they could take them to the local carwash.

That’s unfortunate. If demand is that great they should be looking to augment staff or contract some of the work out.

If it were me, I would have declined delivery. It’s hard to look for damage/problem areas on a car that is very dirty.

Almost every dealership from Audi to Toyota will offer you a free car wash when you bring the car in for service. Also say no to the free carwash unless you like swirl marks and scratches since they don't use touchless car washes.

Reactions: SCharged