Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my first Tesla!

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
The picture on original post shows odometer at 38,629 miles.

yup. probably crossed 40k on the drive home.

- the car is a blast but you can really feel the weight of the car in the corners, but it hides it well.
- air suspension is plush. even on low, it rides well. very low might be a little too stuff for daily driving.
- charging time is overblown, we could have made the drive from LA to the bay on one charge, but we did a charge while we ate ate kettleman city and another quick charge in hollister because I had to pee. could have < 400 wh/mi if I was driving more reasonably and didnt have to pee.
- perfectly happy with my decision to buy an AP1 car. the adaptive cruise control worked fine. the auto steer worked really well with a few exceptions. it really does make driving long distances much easier. once you know the edge cases, you can work around them.
- mcu1 is sloooow. will be upgrading to mcu2 soon.
- i need to balance my wheels. small wobble at higher speeds. it likely doesn't help they are winter tires.

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 9.06.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 9.06.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 9.06.37 PM.png

Reactions: cobra

KentuckyX

Mar 15, 2018
Louisville, KY
Reminds me of the j-bolt that cracked on me when I bought the first generation roof rack for my Model 3. Cheap-ass pot metal cracked in the middle of a 1000 mile trip. Luckily, I had the roof rack on but no Thule box. Curious: did you have any warning (weird noises, etc.) before the control arm failed?
46894B4C-8E36-45BE-9423-15BD2A7CBAEE.jpeg

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
Reminds me of the j-bolt that cracked on me when I bought the first generation roof rack for my Model 3. Cheap-ass pot metal cracked in the middle of a 1000 mile trip. Luckily, I had the roof rack on but no Thule box. Curious: did you have any warning (weird noises, etc.) before the control arm failed?View attachment 652066

oh man, if you had a box on top things could have ended way worse.

no signs before my control arm failed, but remember, I only put 5 miles around town to feel the car out before it broke. maybe there was something that would have manifested itself on the highway? or something the previous owner felt?

i'll snap a photo of the failed arm when I get to the shop

Reactions: KentuckyX

Doc Brown

Oct 22, 2019
I saw that, but cannot tell if it's just a rough casting opposed to shitty casting lol. I'm going to put it up on the lift when I bleed the brakes and service the brakes.
I think It’s a crack. Look at the ridge at the top part of that piece. It’s offset. Cracked and widening.
0EB896D3-9BCD-45BF-BB75-49D927E45C4D.jpeg

Last edited:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC