Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my Model X Sig today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

madodel

X at the end of a rainbow
Supporting Member
Picked up my Model X Signature today in Springfield NJ. Quite happy with my choices. My DS told me the only thing they had to do was replace one sensor in one FW door. Problem with adhesive not curing correctly. Car is amazing to drive. Auto-steering is scary at first, especially when it is driving on a curve. The X perfectly maintained distance as traffic slowed and sped up on the highway. Haven't tried auto-lane change.

One thing I found out that I haven't seen elsewhere is that all X's have the hardware for Ludicrous mode, but the $10,000 option is to activate it in firmware and change the badge on the back of the car. They actually had my car setup for Ludicrous but that was the one option I didn't select when ordering. So they hooked up a computer to the X and removed it. Honestly the X is pretty fast on Sport Mode. I haven't tried Insane yet because it was pouring rain today.

IMG_1530a.jpg

IMG_1529a.jpg

One thing I found out that I haven't seen elsewhere is that all X's have the hardware for Ludicrous mode, but the $10,000 option is to activate it in firmware and change the badge on the back of the car. They actually had my car setup for Ludicrous but that was the one option I didn't select when ordering. So they hooked up a computer to the X and removed it.

So, therefore, the $10K is to cover only three things:

1. Extra wear and tear and warranty service in the future that those with the feature could cause above and beyond those who don't have the feature.
2. Slight across-the-board hardware quality increase to handle it, everybody getting better hardware.
3. Pay for other stuff, like overall product development, parts, people, profit, etc..

I find that very smart. I've even advocated considering this approach in a recent post.

1. Extra wear and tear and warranty service in the future that those with the feature could cause above and beyond those who don't have the feature.
2. Slight across-the-board hardware quality increase to handle it, everybody getting better hardware.
3. Pay for other stuff, like overall product development, parts, people, profit, etc..

I find that very smart. I've even advocated considering this approach in a recent post.

Wonder if hackers will be able to jail break the X or S in the future and unlock this feature for free?!?! since its just a program no?

Wonder if hackers will be able to jail break the X or S in the future and unlock this feature for free?!?! since its just a program no?

It sounds like the firmware versions are completely separate. Hacking of any sort probably would do little good unless there's some way to sideload official Tesla firmware from one vehicle to another.

Congratulations madodel! Must have been one of these. Can you tell which? :biggrin:

Springfield SC.png

Sigh ..still waiting on mine, seems door issues have plagued several early Sigs. Chalking it up to poor yield of initial production run.

Did you have them attach the front plate?

I hope not. If they could do that, they could get further in and do nasty things. It looks like Tesla is totally on top of this one. Though it would be cool...

- - - Updated - - -

Front plate? Nooooo!:scared:

Probably, but that would be stealing. Just as it would be for someone to jail break their S40 and upgrade it to a 60 with Supercharging without paying the ~$13k. (I am pretty sure that the one person who has hacked the Model S says that he could do, but he won't.)

Congratulations madodel! Must have been one of these. Can you tell which? :biggrin:

View attachment 110269

Sigh ..still waiting on mine, seems door issues have plagued several early Sigs. Chalking it up to poor yield of initial production run.

Did you have them attach the front plate?

No front plate to mess up my beautiful X. I'm in Pennsylvania. ;-)

One other thing is that they couldn't give me a temporary title at delivery at the pickup in Springfield, NJ Service Center. They said it would come in the mail in 7 days, so I can't get a permanent title in Pennsylvania (and pay the sales tax) until I get that paperwork. And they told me it wouldn't have mattered if I had taken delivery at Devon in PA. Just a way the state of Pennsylvania makes it a bit harder to buy a Tesla. And longer I have to wait to apply for the limited $2,000 Alternative Fuel Vehicle rebate (that I then have to pay taxes on). Apparently there are few EV's sold in PA or else customers aren't told about it. Alternative Fuel Vehicles

Or, it could simply be that the software was incorrectly configured for the hardware.

Same in CA. We get a fix-it ticket for $20. Slap the thing on, go down and they wave the fee. Take it off. It has not happened to me yet in 33 years. A total hassle. But I am so obsessed that I'll do it.

Of course, I have just jinxed myself...

And mine is glued to the inside of my garage door with all my other fronts, well most. So it'll be fun to pry the damn thing off! The price of beauty.