TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Picked up my replacement car yesterday

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by GasDoc, Jul 9, 2013.

1. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

I picked up my P85 yesterday. Short of walking into a showroom and buying a loaner, it may have been the fastest Model S transaction ever. I think they must have taken pity on me.

I got the word last week that my 60kWh Model S was going to be declared a total loss after my accident on 5/25. Shortly after hearing the news, a senior member of the sales team reached out to me, having been told by his colleague in the body repair program that I would be seeking a replacement Model S. In the interim, I had been driving a 2003 VW Jetta with 150,000 miles and a manual transmission.

So Friday morning, I tell him exactly what configuration I wanted. I told him I wanted a carbon copy of my previous car. Unfortunately, the exact copy wasn't available. What he had either was the wrong color, different battery size, didn't have the pano sunroof, or some other configuration difference. He did have P85's and P85+ available in my colors/options choices.

I ultimately decided on a P85 with 19" wheels. Within 2 hours of my giving him my configuration preference he had the wheels exchanged and the rear facing seats removed from a VIN we had identified. The car was supposed to go to San Rafael to be a loaner but hadn't left Fremont yet.

So I identified a car on Friday afternoon and took delivery on Monday. That must be some sort of record.

We had a great tour, at the end of which we saw the Motor Trend Car of the Year trophy which now sits atop one of the early Model S prototypes on display at the Factory.

car of the year.jpg 85p.jpg

2. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

Congrats....Quick question.....Do you get "Another" $7500 tax credit or no?

3. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

I think that I do. That was part of the rationalization on my part for the upgrade.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Can you compare the driving experience?

5. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

I compared the builds in a message in the Interior/Exterior Forum.

Comparing the driving is kind of Apples and Oranges. The 60 was fast. The 85P is scary fast! Street driving and highway cruising is pretty much identical aside from the differences in noise I pointed out in my other message.

6. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

Congrats on finally getting the replacement following the accident!! That's a long wait to be without a Model S after having owned one.

7. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

So, you are one of the culprits responsible for the scarcity of loaners :tongue:

Seriously, GasDoc, really happy for you!

8. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

Don't worry. I saw that there are a LOT of P85+ models that are coming out of the pipeline really soon!

9. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Nice!
    Anyone know what happens to the old Model S?
    will the insurance company have it fixed and auctioned off?

10. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

It will get a salvage title and will be auctioned off as is -- from there, someone will either try to fix it, disassemble it for the eventual parts market that will develop, or go to a competitor's think tank for vivisection. ;)

11. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Would be interesting to see how much they'll get for itithe battery is in great shape, that's the most important thing.

12. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

I'm getting a quote to buy the salvage from the insurance company. Apparently, I have first dibs before it goes to auction.

13. spaghetti

spaghetti Member

Congrats! Glad that you are back behind the wheel of a Model S.

14. irishstoutaz

irishstoutaz Member

Congrats and nice post about the comparison between the P85 and your 60...

15. PaceyWhitter

PaceyWhitter Member

GasDoc, if you don't mind, I would love to know the value the insurance company puts on it.

16. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

Me too. I am curious what the value of the 60 is with a salvaged title. The parts alone may be worth picking up the whole car if it's a deal.

17. JPP

JPP Active Member

Nice to see you @ Teslive..glad you got a new S so quick. And thanks for sharing the crash video--very sobering.