Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my Tesla in early December, worst car I've ever owned.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some perspective.

Our Model Y on Teslafi shows the longest drive has only been 141 miles. Still took 72% of battery on highway driving.

1645189377791.png

Over 40,000 miles later, and 70% efficiency is about it.
1645189759405.png
Could be the Texas roads but I never get the rated range.

Reactions: byeLT4
Today's EV do fine with continuous highway driving. I have done two cross country trips in my M3P, roughly 7k on each trip. Car worked great on those trips. Doing another one in June.
Regen braking does little for range, unless you going down a very long change in elevation. City regen driving does little to add to range, just helps with braking.
Tesla's work great normally in both city and highway driving. This post is dealing with something that is not normal. Something is killing the range with this owner's car. Hopefully he can get a service center to figure it out.
Good Luck.
Nearly nearly EV available in North America performs worse than EPA estimates on the highway. That's a fact. Nobody said that you can't take them on long trips or that they don't work fine on long trips so I don't exactly understand the intent of your post.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I've said it higher up, I get 380 typical on highways in winter with a LR AWD 2020 on 18" winter tires, driving 120-123kph. IT will be higher than that if I precondition the battery on route for supercharging. I'm not surprised about it. Consumption that's significantly higher than this, except for the 20" wheels/tires, might be explained by something adding extra drag. Check that the brakes aren't sticking (although they shouldn't) and check your alignment. Many people have reported getting brand new cars out of the factory with screwed up alignments.

Reactions: googlepeakoil
I will probably be repeating some from here:

1. Cold tire pressure - add 2 PSI to label probably set to cold to 44 psi.

2. I would check alignment to make sure no wheel dragging.

3. Check for dragging brake or not adjusted properly.

4. Ignore the mileage range on the top of the screen. Switch to percentage. That mileage is an EPA estimated range. The real range based on elevation and traffic is seen using the range graph in the lower menu bar (if you have the latest software update). Selecting that will show estimated range based o 5/15/30 miles. Try 30. However, if all driving city and stop and go range will be reduced just like an ICE car. On the highway, at a constant cruise I will often observe a range that exceeds the EPA number on the top of the screen.

As I'm sure you are aware, the performance model has the lowest range. This is primarily caused by the inertia and energy needed to turn the larger heavier performance wheels and tires. That is why the 18" wheels have the best range. Beware of potholes. The sidewalls on the performance car are narrow and the load raring is the lowest on those tires per tire rack.com

5. When preheating the car for departure, observe not only cabin temperature but battery temperature. The cabin will heat before the battery is up to best temp. You will note either a snowflake on the screen next to the battery symbol or on your app, three wavy heat lines (similar to the seat heat symbols). They shay battery is still being preheated and the charge scale on your app will also be amber and turn green once up to temperature. You can drive cold but range and regenerative braking will be reduced.

If you car is only a few weeks old it will be easy to sell if you truly hate it. here is the thing, an ICE car never gets the published mileage either but no one thinks about it since there is a gas station on every corner. The car had excellent software to determine arrival charge. It allows for traffic and elevation changes. Use the navigation often. I have found it usually is within 1% from starting estimate PROVIDED you follow speed limits. Having driven from coast to coast, when trying for the next stop and exceeding the limit I could see arrival charge dropping (no different than an ICE car). If reduced say 2 mph below limit it will start to increase. The car is quite smart and if using navigation and speeding it will at some point flash a message saying "Reduce speed to XX to make next charging stop).

You can really enhance range by when accelerating not feeling it. The Tesla app when judging driving score emphasized this. If you feel the acceleration you're too aggressive.

Leave the car plugged in until ready to go somewhere. If you charge then park (like getting gas and parking) there will be consumption while parked like from Sentry (about 1 mph/hour) so overnight could see 12 or more up to 24/day. Constantly checking car status uses battery as well.

In the midwest, you will see preheating the battery raise range right on your app. I will often see a 5-7 mile range increase from the projected range (EPA) and the charge range estimate as things warm.

You own the most advanced car in the World. One year from now, the software updates will give you a car that did not exist today.

Last - let the car sleep over three hours. This allows the cars BMC's to balance the cells. A good daily charge is 80%. As you approach 90% regenerative braking is reduced. Past 90% it is quite low. If you have a setting (it may be gone on your vintage) in the drive settings check for regenerative braking set to normal not low. Your brakes will thank you and your range will too. You can observe the car regenerating or using battery by the gray/green scale top left of screen. If lots of dots on top left that is the area no regenerative available if charged to say 95 rom 100%.

BTW, my previous ICE car (with stop/start) would see 34 MPG highway and 14 city. Never saw 34 published 34 and 19 city no way. But then I drove for fun. If you sell the car now you can get more than you paid and the buyer will thank you.

Last edited:
Can you please show also the energy graph so we can see if consumption is consistent or only initial heating? State the outside temp also.

We can then compare it to our own cars in similar weather.

I remember myself being quite surprised of mileage under-estimates in -15c (5f).

I'm driving it about 50 miles each way tonight, i'll provide a 30 min graph that stops before I turn on preconditioning.

It'll be around 50-70 mph.

Nearly nearly EV available in North America performs worse than EPA estimates on the highway. That's a fact. Nobody said that you can't take them on long trips or that they don't work fine on long trips so I don't exactly understand the intent of your post.
The study that was sited regarding EV's not achieving the EPA estimates was looking at the range going 75mph. So yes at 75mpg I think we all would agree our cars will not hit EPA estimates. That indeed is a fact. I'm pretty sure ICE cars going 75mph will not hit EPA estimate either, but I can't site a study for that being true or not.
The comment

"I do feel this is a little bit on the buyer for not doing enough research as today's EV's aren't ideal for continuous highway driving because continuous aerodynamic drag with no braking means the battery pack is steadily being drained as opposed to city driving where regenerative braking recycles energy"

is what I was addressing as I feel the cars do fine for continuous highway driving, and regen braking only helps with braking and not range.
This was the intent of my post.

I think its time for bottom readers
1. OP says car sucks, no range
2. Lots of folks try to understand
3. If car is broken, get it fixed
4. Why here and this time
5. makes no sense
well its happy hour, never mind

I've talked to Tesla about it numerous times. The last time was last night where I was told Sentry mode was the reason why I have such a low range, then was ignored when I said it's been turned off since late December to save battery.

So update #3 to say "Tesla thinks the car is amazing, no problems"?

Reactions: DFW_MVP
In cold weather it'll be pretty rough if you're solely supercharging and don't have some sort of at home charging solution (even if it's just 120v). Stopping at a supercharger a couple of times a week is more of a hassle than filling up a gas tank.

That being said, your range is strangely bad. What kind of tires do you have on? Do your brakes look ok--nothing sticking that you can tell?

Reactions: googlepeakoil
I think I'd get more money blowing it up on Youtube and writing an article about how much Tesla fawned over my range and told me 100 miles in city driving was actually really good.

It'd be nothing if not entertaining.
But of you do, don't file an insurance claim on the loss. I know, one would expect that one in your world would know better but the news says otherwise. Guess there's a reason that it came from California.

Nobody said that you can't take them on long trips or that they don't work fine on long trips so I don't exactly understand the intent of your post.
The OP of this thread said exactly that, actually. Among other things they said:

So now I have a new Tesla that is useless for road trips and useless around the city.

So, yes, someone said "I cant take it on long trips".

I have also been very consistent in my position that, at this time, I personally would not recommend anyone own this or any other EV without the ability to charge either at home, or at work, unless their goal is something other than convenience.

Given the OPs position, and the current values of used teslas, the OP can get out of the car without losing a ton of money if they want to, and its my opinion thats what they should do, based on how unhappy they stated they are in the first post.

Every product is not for everyone, and If a car made me unhappy enough to join a website specific to that brand to have my first post slamming that product, I would also be unhappy enough to sell it and move on to something that didnt make me feel that way, whatever product that was.

Last edited:
Reactions: electricar
Something's definitely wrong. That is the most insane Wh/mi I have ever seen. Most people with performance models hover between 300 - 380 wh/mi

Yup. If not driving habit, something is off with OP's car. 300-380wh/mi is the bulk of the distribution. 400-500 is wayyy anomalous.

I'm at lifetime 330 or thereabouts.

On LONG multi-day highway travel at 80mph, fully loaded car, 20" wheels, im doing 315 in the summer and 360 in the northern european winter complete with falling rain and snow, slush on ground, cabin heating on, etc.

Reactions: 67King
I'm sure as battery capacity improves in time we will get much better highway range but at the present time all EV's struggle on the highway. Car & Driver actually just released this article on this topic.

Electric Vehicles Rarely Match or Exceed Their Range Rating in Our 75-MPH Highway Test

This comment brings up an interesting point. How does the EPA determine the MPG ratings of all cars, not just EV's?
Using the link provided, this testing was done at 75mph. I thought the MPG ratings of cars were done at 55MPH. Tried to find how the EPA does this, but there was no clear answer on the testing.
Anyone knows how the MPG ratings of all cars are determined by the EPA?

If indeed the MPG ratings are done at 55mph, why are there studies complaining about the EV's not getting range ratings when testing them at 75mph?

I can sum up this problem pretty quick.

Newbie, December, Performance (20”), Midwest (Cold), 80 mph, No charging at home (SC only).

I don’t think his car is broken.

Nobody should buy an EV unless they can charge at home (or work). Period. You’ll hate it over time.

I can count the number of minutes I've been above 80 mph on one hand. I'm going to try and keep it under 70 on my 30 min highway drive to see if it gets under 400.

The rest is accurate though.

Status
Not open for further replies.