Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my Tesla in early December, worst car I've ever owned.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bro I’m babying this car hard to try and get the range up. You don’t need to believe me. I can show you screenshots of driving 7 miles, averaging 31 mph and topping out at 67 mph. Wh/mi was 455.

Is that spirited to you?
Could your brakes be binding ever so slightly? Have you tried putting the car in Roll mode to see how quickly the car slows down...if at all...at speed? Just thinking out loud. How about alignment? Etc. Possible excessive motor friction? Have you monitored if your car has excessive vampire drain on the battery? If the car is losing miles (excessively) just sitting around, then perhaps that's the cause.

So possible issues:

1) Binding brakes
2) Alignment
3) Excessive drivetrain/motor friction
4) Shorted electronic component that's draining the battery.
5) Bad battery modules.

Fwiw I have a 2069 model 3 performance and my average is 372w/m and I don't hang around, have a high speed commute of 60 mph for 25 mins, and I've only had the car 2 months so temps have been averaging around 5 degrees c (about 41f to you guys:p). It's definitely 4/500 if I set off and average it over the last 5 miles due to Aircon and battery heating. I'm a bit annoyed about the range as I'd seen 350 miles touted and I reckon I'm on for low 200's, it annoys me that the incar range isn't accurate, as fully charged it shows around 256 miles (when I say fully charged I mean 90%).

The EPA publishes its testing procedure somewhere, you can read about it. The Car and Driver test did NOT try to replicate the EPA, they purposefully drove at 75mph to see how that compared to EPA. C&D decided that was a more important test than the EPA.
Agree with this. The point is that there many studies that the sole purpose is to show how bad EV's are. I'm sure these studies are paid for by oil and gas companies, because EV's are a real danger to their bottom line.
I'd like to see a F-250 tested at 75mph and see how their mpg compares to EPA ratings. I would bet that it would not meet the ratings.

Reactions: BigNick
Can you please show also the energy graph so we can see if consumption is consistent or only initial heating? State the outside temp also.

We can then compare it to our own cars in similar weather.

I remember myself being quite surprised of mileage under-estimates in -15c (5f).
This is 30 miles at 27 degree outside. I tried to cruise under 65, only getting up to 68 mph max speed once to pass. 48 mph average. Interior temp was set at 67, fan speed 2.

Also had to stop for 2 tolls.

390-400 Wh/mi depending on who you believe.

Attachments

• C9C6EE3B-A67E-46DB-98BF-8B8D68C0B5DF.jpeg
    C9C6EE3B-A67E-46DB-98BF-8B8D68C0B5DF.jpeg
    573.7 KB · Views: 202
  • BD1DEE7D-E449-4B55-BB49-28110D414EBC.jpeg
    BD1DEE7D-E449-4B55-BB49-28110D414EBC.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 181
Wasn't there a story a few months ago about Tesla putting used or refurbished batteries in newer cars? If so, maybe this is one of those.
I cannot imagine this is correct. I'd like to see the link for that story. Tesla is cranking out so many batteries these days and the Model 3's have not even been made long enough for "used or refurbished batteries" to be a viable source. Sure there are wrecks out there, but I cannot imagine those batteries getting back into the new supply chain.
I know for a fact that Honda used, "used batteries" for it's warranty Insight batteries replacements. I received one of those when I had my 2001 Insight battery replaced under warranty. That was done just before the 10 yr time period.

I cannot imagine this is correct. I'd like to see the link for that story. Tesla is cranking out so many batteries these days and the Model 3's have not even been made long enough for "used or refurbished batteries" to be a viable source. Sure there are wrecks out there, but I cannot imagine those batteries getting back into the new supply chain.
I know for a fact that Honda used, "used batteries" for it's warranty Insight batteries replacements. I received one of those when I had my 2001 Insight battery replaced under warranty. That was done just before the 10 yr time period.

There was definitely a story not that long ago where tesla was selling new cars where they advertised that they may have less range. To paraphrase, the batteries sounded like "new old stock" if you are aware of that term (new product but may have been sitting, etc).

I could dig it up somewhere, but can corroborate that I also saw that story. In fact, I also remember a thread here where someone was sold one of those without being told that was the case by tesla, and ended up getting it bought back by tesla.

With that being said, I very much doubt this is the case in this particular OPs thread.

This is 30 miles at 27 degree outside. I tried to cruise under 65, only getting up to 68 mph max speed once to pass. 48 mph average. Interior temp was set at 67, fan speed 2.

In your original post, you said you were near 500-600 wh/mi. With extreme weather, I could see 390-400 wh/mi with summer tires being the average which is very different than the 500-600 wh/mi. Are you using the PS4S stock tires in the snow?

yes because its a more realistic test than what the EPA does
EPA is only for the purpose of comparison shopping. That said, I so happen to have lifetime wh/m average on both Model 3 and X right about at EPA. I think it was 260 wh/m on Model 3 Stealth and 300 wh/m on Model X (living in the Northeast and with sone towing). And that’s with no preheating.

Strange result. Plugging your data into ABRP, which uses real-world data for its predictions, shows your car, a 2021 Performance with 20" tires, would do that trip at 284Wh/mile. Yes, ABRP is using the 27F temps, 67F interior, and speeds the OP specified, 68mph max, etc. 34min trip, 31 miles, 13% SOC used, 9.1kWh, 284Wh/mile.

Are your brakes dragging? And, what app are you using?
by default 2022-02-18 at 8.57.40 PM.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: CyberGus
Some comments upon the OP's posts, based upon my LR-AWD, in the cold clime of Maine. Since the OP has a Performance, I'd add 10% to all of my datapoints:
• at 45f, I see about 10% range loss, compared to 70f, looking at my Stats over the last 3yrs of data.
IMG_3666.jpeg

• at 68mph, I'd expect 245Wh/mile. And, ABRP shows a calibrated efficiency at 65mph of:
IMG_3676.jpeg

• The Model 3 is an amazing road trip car. Anyone who tells you different is lying to you.
• 1352Wh/mile!!! I've never seen above 900Wh/mile. You're off the scale.
• The seat and steering wheel warmers don't impact your range nearly as much as the central HVAC. 67f and on a low fan setting usually keeps me within the trip prediction.
• Of course, if you pay supercharger rates and get lousy efficiency, it'll be as much as an ICE, that's just basic math. If you were able to charge at home and get normal efficiency, you'd find it comparable to buying $1/gal gas.
• At 45f, and at 70mph, I expect range about 280 miles. Look at the above ABRP calibrated data, I just pulled a few minutes ago. At 65mph, I get 241Wh/mile, in winter temps. That's EPA-rated range. If your result was the norm, it would be all over the internet.
• For short 5 mile trips, given you're only using 67f interior on low, you really shouldn't see much of a drop, like you do in an ICE.
• Your charging rate is slow, are you using a destination Supercharger? Or is it because you're not pre-conditioning?
• 441Wh/mile is insane. My trip meter set for October onward thru Winter, shows about 275Wh/mile. My whole year average is about 250Wh/mile.

So, as I said at the start, I don't think a Performance should be more than 10% worse, efficiency-wise than a LR-AWD. Your data looks wrong, very, very wrong. You need to escalate your issue.

There was definitely a story not that long ago where tesla was selling new cars where they advertised that they may have less range. To paraphrase, the batteries sounded like "new old stock" if you are aware of that term (new product but may have been sitting, etc).

I could dig it up somewhere, but can corroborate that I also saw that story. In fact, I also remember a thread here where someone was sold one of those without being told that was the case by tesla, and ended up getting it bought back by tesla.

With that being said, I very much doubt this is the case in this particular OPs thread.
tesla-using-four-year-old-batteries-in-new-cars

Found the story. Seems like 2017 demo cars being sold as 2021 cars with the 2017 battery pack. Some disclaimer involved with the cars, but interesting story. No real discounts with the cars involved either, which sucks. Doesn't look like a positive for Tesla, hope they are not doing that any longer.

Agree with most likely nothing to do with Op's tread. OP's thread is dealing with something else that a service center should be able to resolve.

Again Good Luck.

Last edited:
I have, twice. They've stood by the range and told me that for my 5 mile trips around the city I should expect 100 miles total, and for my highway driving I should expect about 145 miles in 45 degree weather at 68 mph.
Folks that buy a performance car and then complain about range are missing something, though your range does seem to be low. But it sounds like you've tried to solve the issues.

I wonder if you could trade cars with a near Tesla owner and see if the range drops when he drives your car, or if HIS car returns the same range that yours is giving. That would at least narrow the problem. If both cars give poor range with you driving them, and he gets good range from both cars, there's something wrong with the driver. If your car gives poor range with him driving your car, there's something wrong with the car.

Then again, it looks like you're in Chicago. COLD. Affects. Range. Wind also affects range.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4 and Tiger
I wonder if you could trade cars with a near Tesla owner and see if the range drops when he drives your car, or if HIS car returns the same range that yours is giving. That would at least narrow the problem. If both cars give poor range with you driving them, and he gets good range from both cars, there's something wrong with the driver. If your car gives poor range with him driving your car, there's something wrong with the car.

Excellent approach, true engineering style solution. If necessary, drive same distance (without hypermiling each other) at approximately same speeds at the approximately same time. Preferably start with same overnight cold situation.

Just eyeballing it - doesn't look like much regenerative braking. Do you have the car set for one-pedal driving (slow down by putting energy back in the pack vs dumping it out the brakes)?

I don't have your cold weather, but my larger heavier Model Y on 20" wheels easily attains 250 to 270 WH/mile

I'm a bit annoyed about the range as I'd seen 350 miles touted and I reckon I'm on for low 200's, it annoys me that the incar range isn't accurate, as fully charged it shows around 256 miles (when I say fully charged I mean 90%).
You’re gonna need a citation on that assertion. Who has ever touted an M3P with 350 miles of range? EPA estimate on a new one is 315.

Status
Not open for further replies.