Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my Tesla in early December, worst car I've ever owned.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Others have probably already mentioned it, but if you are parking outside or somewhere cold, not preconditioning, and only driving a short ways (10 miles or less) the car is probably spending a lot of energy trying to get the battery temp up.

I had a similar issue with my model s. If I parked it outside during the winter and forgot to plug it in, it would be freezing in the morning (below 32F), and During my 6 mile drive to work I’d average 500wh per mile.

It would be interesting to see if you get similar results now that it is getting warmer.
Preconditioning while on charge doesn't give you a real cost of ownership . You may see better efficiency while driving but its not real.

I chalk up most whining about Tesla goes back to education...just like someone buying a Miata and then going...hey wait I can't fit my family of 5 in this thing!:D

I mean, he has a legit point. During the winter I switch from e85 back to race fuel in my cars because e85 or above and cold starts is no bueno. But I don't complain about it not wanting to start, then complain about the one that does work, because it lost some range due to that same weather.

Sounds like he needs a car with a block warmer, and the block warmer can be powered by a diesel generator in the trunk that never shuts off, so he never has to worry about cold starts or range. It'll just take a little engineering and an extra $100/week in fuel to keep the generator running.

I see too many replies along the lines of "that's to be expected with EVs" when that is far from the truth. OP was reporting more than double the energy usage of anyone else, so that's not normal. Bjorn Nyland has done many cold weather tests. The last one I saw where he tested 75 MPH in -25C weather ended up being well under 300 Wh/Km for the heat pump version. There's no way you could get 600 Wh/Km at 45F unless you're going up a mountain or dragging a boat... without the trailer!

Mike

Bottom line a Tesla is not for everyone...just like this isn't.

1647292979009.png

I see too many replies along the lines of "that's to be expected with EVs" when that is far from the truth. OP was reporting more than double the energy usage of anyone else, so that's not normal. Bjorn Nyland has done many cold weather tests. The last one I saw where he tested 75 MPH in -25C weather ended up being well under 300 Wh/Km for the heat pump version. There's no way you could get 600 Wh/Km at 45F unless you're going up a mountain or dragging a boat... without the trailer!

Mike
I kind of ignored the exaggeration after he said he was hitting 1300 wh/mi peak. That's what I hit when doing a 1/2 mile run on the air strip and being full throttle for 18 seconds straight and not letting up.

What is the best app to collect this kind of data and play with it?

From what I've read about temps and efficiency, Im probably operating in an optimum environment. I'd like to see how far off I am from optimal performance. Mainly because I may never know if my car is as bad as OP until I drive in a sub-zero environment myself.

Well..I disagree [...]

I agree with your disagreement. :D

Or at least think the term "mainstream" might be a little nebulous. I'd suggest there's a large number of people that use a vehicle for pretty common, daily type things, like school drop off, groceries, a work commute - in the 30-50 miles a day range. That's typical use, that's the people that could easily switch to an EV.

What is the best app to collect this kind of data and play with it?

From what I've read about temps and efficiency, Im probably operating in an optimum environment. I'd like to see how far off I am from optimal performance. Mainly because I may never know if my car is as bad as OP until I drive in a sub-zero environment myself.

There's several, I'm using both Tessie (iOS app) and TeslaScope (web), there's a free tier as well as a paid for both.

Here's a short trip we took yesterday:

IMG_54B7ACBD8473-1.jpeg

IMG_EB8444C60BBE-1.jpeg

It was like 75/25 mixed highway/city, ~55-58°, 3 passengers, driving pretty freely, i.e., accelerating when it was fun, cruising casually other times, a typical mix. Home to Ikea, Ikea to a close restaurant we decided to bail on, that place to where we did eat (which was awesome :D) and from there back home (that's the 4 lines of "driving activity" on each chart). It also includes data such as air temp, speed, etc.

Tessie also allows integration with automations, so I have Apple Watch voice activated trunk, mirrors, lock, it's pretty slick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaytu

Or at least think the term "mainstream" might be a little nebulous. I'd suggest there's a large number of people that use a vehicle for pretty common, daily type things, like school drop off, groceries, a work commute - in the 30-50 miles a day range. That's typical use, that's the people that could easily switch to an EV.

There's several, I'm using both Tessie and TeslaScope, there's a free tier as well as a paid for both.

Here's a short we took yesterday:

View attachment 780961
View attachment 780960

It was like 75/25 mixed highway/city, ~55-58°, 3 passengers, driving pretty freely, i.e., accelerating when it was fun, cruising casually other times, a typical mix. Home to Ikea, Ikea to a close restaurant we decided to bail on, that place to where we did eat (which was awesome :D) and from there back home (that's the 4 lines of "driving activity" on each chart). It also includes data such as air temp, speed, etc.
Wow that looks like 99% efficiency in the last leg. Way to go!

Would these or some other apps let you export this data as a json, csv format etc?

Wow that looks like 99% efficiency in the last leg. Way to go!

Would these or some other apps let you export this data as a json, csv format etc?

They do, Tessie has an option for CSV, TeslaScope does too I believe, I'm not using the paid version of the latter, so a decent number of functions are limited.

They're both a freemium model, so check them out, they'll give you a good sense of the feature set, the UI, and neither are very expensive, Tessie is $5/month, TeslaScope is $3/month, there's also some completely free options like TeslaMate, it's open source, and has container distros so you have even host it yourself, it has really extensive data analysis.

Oh yeah, that was coming home, down A1A, ~60-65, super light on the throttle the whole trip :)

They do, Tessie has an option for CSV, TeslaScope does too I believe, I'm not using the paid version of the latter, so a decent number of functions are limited.

They're both a freemium model, so check them out, they'll give you a good sense of the feature set, the UI, and neither are very expensive, Tessie is $5/month, TeslaScope is $3/month, there's also some completely free options like TeslaMate, it's open source, and has container distros so you have even host it yourself, it has really extensive data analysis.

Oh yeah, that was coming home, down A1A, ~60-65, super light on the throttle the whole trip :)
Sweet, I also noticed that my Wh/mi is best ( < 200 flat roads and not too much headwind ) when at 55 - 65, anything over and drag becomes dominant, under that, well gaining fewer miles for each Wh spent.

I see that its quite easy to just write some python code to get that info, but I dont have a personal machine and dont want to run it off office machines. Might be a good time to buy one.

There's several, I'm using both Tessie (iOS app) and TeslaScope (web), there's a free tier as well as a paid for both.

Here's a short trip we took yesterday:

View attachment 780961
View attachment 780960

Tessie also allows integration with automations, so I have Apple Watch voice activated trunk, mirrors, lock, it's pretty slick.

Glad my mind doesn’t require this…it would take all the fun out of Tesla for me. Never did this type of analysis on my BMW no reason to start now. YMMV of course pun intended.

Worst car you've ever owned??? Obviously you're a newbie. My folks owned a Nash Rambler, a real winner. And there was the Gutless Cutlass, which had no brakes if it was even barely damp, and we're talking living near the ocean. I had a Dodge that I can't remember, something to do with selective memory loss. Even though Toyotas were horrible, the American lineup was worse, so Toyota grew well here in America. And one I can't begin to understand is the Jeep. Horrible brakes, horrible steering, horrible road holding, but because it can hold its own over a pothole, people went out and bought them by the ton. Amazing. I never owned one, but my brother did. It flipped and rolled, but he jumped free. There have been SO many really poor and really bad American cars over the last fifty years, I don't even know where to start.

Would not be a summer tire issue.

Summer tires should not be used in cold temps because the compound that is used, stiffens and can crack in cold temps. Summer tire can actually lose traction in the winter due to this. No affect on milage.
These problems can start occurring with summers tires at temps below 40F.

P cars with summers tires in cold temps can be a problem. Always has been.

P cars do fine with energy usage unless you're hammering it all the time. My 18 M3P has lifetime average of 256wh/mi with 32K. Stealth with 18" and no summer tires. Great driving car.
Yeah, let's make sure we're talking winter temps in the northern tier of states. Here in California, we don't have winter and drive on summer tires all the time.

Yeah, let's make sure we're talking winter temps in the northern tier of states. Here in California, we don't have winter and drive on summer tires all the time.
Isn't lake Tahoe in California?

"Lake Tahoe sees over 17 feet of snow in December, crushing records"​

Drove up to Portland thru California last year in March. Wanted best chance to avoid winter weather and picked March to make the trip. Northern California has plenty of winter weather.

We have winter weather in AZ as well, not much in Phoenix, but plenty in Flagstaff.

All season tires for my M3P.

Reactions: LadyOnikara
Status
Not open for further replies.