Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my Tesla in early December, worst car I've ever owned.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I going to trade my car in too -

Thats a good decision. No car should make a person as unhappy as you have repeatedly expressed being. You also shouldnt buy another EV, because 2% degradation over that amount of time is a great number, so if you expect better than that, EVs are not for you.

Thats a good decision. No car should make a person as unhappy as you have repeatedly expressed being. You also shouldnt buy another EV, because 2% degradation over that amount of time is a great number, so if you expect better than that, EVs are not for you.
I loved the tech -wanted the highest tech & I requested the 82kwh battery throughout entire ordering process -I was assured I had the 82kwh battery. Well Im sure the lucky people who got the 82kwh Battery & are in the FSD beta program( > 60K) would be upset to if they were in my situation, small battery - no FSD updates -so you’d say that the EV cars weren’t for them either (>60K ) ?

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
I loved the tech -wanted the highest tech & I requested the 82kwh battery throughout entire ordering process -I was assured I had the 82kwh battery. Well Im sure the lucky people who got the 82kwh Battery & are in the FSD beta program( > 60K) would be upset to if they were in my situation, small battery - no FSD updates -so you’d say that the EV cars weren’t for them either (>60K ) ?

Some of them, yes depends on the situation, what they express etc. You specifically, absolutely. You repeatedly post about "small battery" as if this is some conspiracy, or that it actually impacts your usage of the car. Its your hot button item as if its impacting your usage of the car. Its not, but you dont care. Thats up to you (how you feel) but its a strange thing for someone to focus on (75kW vs 82kW).

You have 2 percent degradation that you are reporting, and acting as if thats excessive, when its not. You are unhappy about not getting into FSD beta, and lots of people are not in there.

You would be much better off without this car, you are very clearly unhappy with it and the situation, and I dont see that changing by how many times you post about "small battery". Especially since you can sell it and not lose a ton of money.

Last edited:
Wow these recommended threads today are depressing. I just come back to research a model Y's quality status and bam..... So for the people who do not see through the trees of current EV cars. The miles on Tesla's website stated are totally optimum. Realistically as a user you need to air con on to even stop the windows from misting up on a model 3. So actual usage and driving at speeds over 60mph will drain the car way faster. What Tesla needs is one of those nice average sliders on their site so you can enter your parameters and driving style to best guess what the experience of range might really be like. For e.g. 240 miles stated for me was actually 160 in cooler times and degraded on the first year. Sure the car is very good at finding you places to charge but still to this day customers cant really make a good informed choice or given reasonable expectations. Funny how my partners first car a Renault Clio 2017 seems to actually do the 350+ miles per tank it states. Has no build quality issues at all and cost her 12K cash. No 9% degradation in the first year of ownership on range. Tesla cars are the future but lets be realistic to customers please.

... What Tesla needs is one of those nice average sliders on their site so you can enter your parameters and driving style to best guess what the experience of range might really be like. ...
I wish Tesla would just buy ABRP, and incorporate it into their software, so that people could do exactly as you suggest; test out their individual driving routes and habits, to get a personalized real-world estimate before buying. Would reduce the number of disappointed drivers.

I started looking at the Model S way back in 2013, but realized that it was impractical for me, because there were not enough Supercharger coverage around me. I'd have to detour 45mins into New Hampshire, to make my regular 320 mile trip to Boston and back. In 2016, when the 3 was imminent and Superchargers started to appear near me, I could use ABRP to see that roadtripping to Boston and back would take no additional time out of my driving routine. It's now 6yrs later, and you still have people buying EVs without researching whether an EV will suit their driving. To me it seems insane that people would buy an EV without doing the research, but a lot of people do. So, Tesla should go out of its way to help people understand how best to utilize their car, because driving an EV requires a change in refueling mindset and strategy. You don't drive it the same way you drive a ICE. Once you understand the strategy, it's second nature.

Reactions: euro.r
I wish Tesla would just buy ABRP, and incorporate it into their software, so that people could do exactly as you suggest; test out their individual driving routes and habits, to get a personalized real-world estimate before buying. Would reduce the number of disappointed drivers.

I started looking at the Model S way back in 2013, but realized that it was impractical for me, because there were not enough Supercharger coverage around me. I'd have to detour 45mins into New Hampshire, to make my regular 320 mile trip to Boston and back. In 2016, when the 3 was imminent and Superchargers started to appear near me, I could use ABRP to see that roadtripping to Boston and back would take no additional time out of my driving routine. It's now 6yrs later, and you still have people buying EVs without researching whether an EV will suit their driving. To me it seems insane that people would buy an EV without doing the research, but a lot of people do. So, Tesla should go out of its way to help people understand how best to utilize their car, because driving an EV requires a change in refueling mindset and strategy. You don't drive it the same way you drive a ICE. Once you understand the strategy, it's second nature.
I agree and disagree with you. Agree that people need to do research before buying not just EV but about anything out there. Disagree about not driving same way as ICE to curtain degree. We did our 2k round trip in model 3 after owing it few month and had zero problems and no special strategy. Just followed the navigation and trip was smooth and just like any trips we have done in our ICE cars. Side note: I started little slower than usual but then quickly reverted to driving at same speeds as before. More frequent stops also helped to be more rested from road fatigue.

I picked a new Model 3 Performance in December. I wanted a car for normal city driving and the occasional road trip a few hours away. My other car is a sportscar that is deathly allergic to any temperature below 50 degrees so I thought this would be the perfect addition. I live in a high rise with a garage that while not being heated, typically only goes down to about 40 degrees at the coldest.

I live in the Midwest where it can get down to the teens so I expected some range loss in cold weather, but the real world range I'm seeing is nowhere near reasonable. And this cold weather the following data is in was 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

For example, a 80 minute drive on the highway, never exceeding 80 mph used up about 51 kWh, for a Wh/mi of 518.
I then charged for an hour and preconditioned, only to make it 120 miles, averaging 68 mph, with a Wh/mi of nearly 460.

When I complained I was told "this is a city car, not a roadtrip car", so now I rent cars for my drives anywhere outside of 120 miles and drive it around the city. I still have never seen a full charge make it 130 miles without scrambling for a supercharger.

My usage while baby'ing the throttle with it in chill mode still ranges between 393 at the lowest and 1352 Wh/mi at the highest, with the only times it's under 600 Wh/mi is when it's preconditioned. I've also stopped using the seat and steering wheel warmers and keep the climate below 67 degrees on low to try and save energy.

I'm also not saving on gas, not even accounting for the wasted time it takes to charge vs filling up a tank. I charged 22 kWh yesterday (on a supercharger), which took 20 minutes. That's 27% of my range and based on historical data that should go about 40 miles. It cost $9, which is the equivalent to about 2.3 gallons of unleaded and I can tell you 17 mpg is below average for me in my other car.

Everyone I've talked to says that a total range of about 150 miles is the absolute best I can expect when it's below 45 degrees, and when I've called Tesla for support they've stated the same. And they said driving it a few times a week around the city I should expect around 75 miles from a full charge because the battery needs to get to operating temp. lol. Imagine an ICE car saying the best range you can expect is 75 miles.

So now I have a new Tesla that is useless for road trips and useless around the city.
Okay rambling rant over. Anyone want to buy this amazing car?
518 and 460 for consumption is absurdly high. I've never seen numbers like that.

518 and 460 for consumption is absurdly high. I've never seen numbers like that.
Right I don't understand. I'm in Florida and the AC is on constantly and I'm in the 3's. I guess heat does a lot more energy from what I understand, but I thought the new cars have heat pumps? My model 3 performance is in the 3's most of the time. I hear people are in the 2's but I can't get there. I don't really hammer it much either. On the trips where I don't hammer it at all I'm still in the 3's. I drive on the highway typically 85-90 when I go to Disney which is 200 miles away. I could make the whole trip charged to 100 most likely if I was driving into a charger at the parks. Something seems severely wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: mangrove79
Right I don't understand. I'm in Florida and the AC is on constantly and I'm in the 3's. I guess heat does a lot more energy from what I understand, but I thought the new cars have heat pumps? My model 3 performance is in the 3's most of the time. I hear people are in the 2's but I can't get there. I don't really hammer it much either. On the trips where I don't hammer it at all I'm still in the 3's. I drive on the highway typically 85-90 when I go to Disney which is 200 miles away. I could make the whole trip charged to 100 most likely if I was driving into a charger at the parks. Something seems severely wrong.
Speed (and climate) destroys range.

Yeah, I just posted a pic (the "Your Model 3 right now ..." photos thread), of us parked at the Aventura, it was mostly highway (~100 of the 117 miles from St. Aug), and based on the time we left and arrived we averaged around 74-75MPH but feel like we spent a decent amount of time at 77MPH or quicker, and got ~329 Wh/mile.

We have a '21 M3P with the stock 20" wheels and Pirellis, starting at around 39 PSI cold tires, 3 people and a some luggage/cooler, running the AC pretty cool (70-71) the entire time, exterior temps near 80° (F).

At 70MPH with another 2-3 lbs in the tires would've definitely slipped into the [high] 2xx.

• Informative
Reactions: mangrove79
Yeah, I just posted a pic (the "Your Model 3 right now ..." photos thread), of us parked at the Aventura, it was mostly highway (~100 of the 117 miles from St. Aug), and based on the time we left and arrived we averaged around 74-75MPH but feel like we spent a decent amount of time at 77MPH or quicker, and got ~329 Wh/mile.

We have a '21 M3P with the stock 20" wheels and Pirellis, starting at around 39 PSI cold tires, 3 people and a some luggage/cooler, running the AC pretty cool (70-71) the entire time, exterior temps near 80° (F).

At 70MPH with another 2-3 lbs in the tires would've definitely slipped into the [high] 2xx.
I run about 329 is probably about right. I keep my tires at 45. The OP consumption numbers seem crazy high.

This thread has really got me thinking. Sure, I already knew that EV ranges can be quite a bit lower than rated, but I never considered just how much multiple factors (speed, ambient temp, climate control settings, etc..) can collectively destroy efficiency to the point that range is so immensley affected.

I think everyone should be required to drive a 24kwh leaf before getting
a tesla. It would get maybe a 100 miles if you drive it at 55mph, down hill
both ways. ( no heat or aircon) . Now I am sure there are some big block guys
here that know what 15-20mpg means. Now if you live in texas and drive 100mph
with snow coming out of the aircon, well you may expect your total mileage
to go down. I get 240 but here is not that cold or hot. Every car has its sweet spot
and the more you use it correctly the farther you go. But it is fun too push the limits,
so what. Its a car drive it.

I think everyone should be required to drive a 24kwh leaf before getting
a tesla. It would get maybe a 100 miles if you drive it at 55mph, down hill
both ways. ( no heat or aircon) . Now I am sure there are some big block guys
here that know what 15-20mpg means. Now if you live in texas and drive 100mph
with snow coming out of the aircon, well you may expect your total mileage
to go down. I get 240 but here is not that cold or hot. Every car has its sweet spot
and the more you use it correctly the farther you go. But it is fun too push the limits,
so what. Its a car drive it.
You hit the nail on its head. My wife had a first gen Leaf and it was pain in rear with limited range. Tesla is like godsend compare to that.

Reactions: Sackmonkey
I agree and disagree with you. Agree that people need to do research before buying not just EV but about anything out there. Disagree about not driving same way as ICE to curtain degree. We did our 2k round trip in model 3 after owing it few month and had zero problems and no special strategy. Just followed the navigation and trip was smooth and just like any trips we have done in our ICE cars. Side note: I started little slower than usual but then quickly reverted to driving at same speeds as before. More frequent stops also helped to be more rested from road fatigue.
Wow, no down thumb this time, I like it!

The ICE way to drive I'm referring to is the Fill'er up mentality. When an ICE driver stops to refuel, they almost always Fill'er up. You don't in an EV, for the obvious reason is that it's slow, due to the charging taper. It's far more efficient, time-wise, to drive in the lower 2/3rds of your battery, between 10 and 70% SOC.

Drive fast, charge at low SOCs, charge up until you have enough to get to your next stop, with a small cushion that you're comfortable with. Don't Fill'er up.

As you noted, you made "more frequent stops". That's what I'm referring to, don't Fill'er up, and make more frequent stops.

I do think the Tesla stated ranges are too optimistic for most people. I live in a cold weather state and it's simply not possible to get almost any EV or ICE vehicle to hit the EPA numbers in the winter. I have 2 PHEV's so very much understand the swing in range between summer and winter but most of our commuting is under 100 miles per day and we have a Level2 at home so charging multiple times a day if needed is no problem. EV is just not for everyone right now. As batteries improve, range improves, and charge times improve (along with infrastructure) it will be more conducive to more people. I think you really have to do your homework on this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.