Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up new m3 LR July 21 but no Boombox? here in Melbourne yesterday.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I picked up my car in March 2021, the car was running a much older software version that was pre-Boombox which meant it was a version before December 2020. I had to wait a few days until Tesla finished processing my payment and maybe internally switching possesion of the car over to me so that I could receive live updates.

Upvote 0
We have the wiring harness for the speaker but no physical speaker and even if you add a speaker yourself it doesn't enable the Boombox app.
The external speaker is a US federal requirement, there is a low speed pedestrian warning sound rule that went into effect last year or at the end of 2019. My mid 2019 M3 doesn't have a speaker either because the rule hadn't gone into effect. Your car is probably made in China where it's doubtful that they have a similar rule. If Australia doesn't mandate a pedestrian warning sound they aren't going to bother putting in the speaker.

Upvote 0
The external speaker is a US federal requirement, there is a low speed pedestrian warning sound rule that went into effect last year or at the end of 2019. My mid 2019 M3 doesn't have a speaker either because the rule hadn't gone into effect. Your car is probably made in China where it's doubtful that they have a similar rule. If Australia doesn't mandate a pedestrian warning sound they aren't going to bother putting in the speaker.
Yeah thanks all true. We don't have that law in Australia and my investigations showed that that was why the speaker wasn't there. The shame of it all though is that if we do put a speaker in it doesn't enable it. It would be good to be able to use the feature if we want even where the law isn't relevant. But for some reason it is just disabled in software everywhere the law is not in place.

Upvote 0
Just do like the "look at my underwear" crowd does. Play some bass-rich rap tunes, loud. Pedestrians nowadays get out of the way quickly. They know it's not so much the car that'll kill 'em, it's the 2nd amendment.

Same thing with driving courtesy. A couple of souped up black mercs were tease-racing each other all over the street yesterday and I was just about to give 'em a courtesy horn tap, when I thought it over and just STFU.

Conversely, there was an RV yesterday whose sound system, I kid you not, was shaking my closed windows from a block away. People were looking in all directions, 30 Hz is pretty non-directional. Ah, but they WERE looking. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: muddie
Upvote 0
Just do like the "look at my underwear" crowd does. Play some bass-rich rap tunes, loud. Pedestrians nowadays get out of the way quickly. They know it's not so much the car that'll kill 'em, it's the 2nd amendment.

Same thing with driving courtesy. A couple of souped up black mercs were tease-racing each other all over the street yesterday and I was just about to give 'em a courtesy horn tap, when I thought it over and just STFU.

Conversely, there was an RV yesterday whose sound system, I kid you not, was shaking my closed windows from a block away. People were looking in all directions, 30 Hz is pretty non-directional. Ah, but they WERE looking. :cool:
Agreed - AC/DC will be blaring out from now on.. 😉

Upvote 0