Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up new MS, rear-ended the next day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is going to be a venting session. I need consoling and uplifting words.

Picked up my new car yesterday at Buena Park. So beautiful. No issues, fitment is perfect, drive is perfect. Amazing. I feel happier than when my child was born.

Drove around yesterday, visited friends, then went home. This morning, I went to get a haircut. Sitting at red light about to make a left turn.

BOOM

Rear ended by a douchebag a-hole idiot cockroach piece of crap in his Escalade.

It's been less than 24 hours. I'm at a level of pissed I've honestly not experienced before. I'm livid, don't know what to do for the rest of the day other than being pissed, and my neck hurts.

=(
I was going to "like" or "love" or "disagree" or something but there just isn't a button for "darn, that's sh$%^ty" :( Sorry to hear about that.

PS. I see this happened a while ago... still sh$%^ty.

Ya, I was going to ask why the front pieces were off - for being hit in the rear..
You didn't mention getting sandwiched with a car in front of you..

I also thought your car would be totaled by insurance co seeing what it got stripped down to.

Just having a car at a repair depot for that length of time, did they add "storage costs" onto the bill?

So how does it work with leases, you paid 6 months of lease payments for a car that was in the shop and you see none of that money back? Curious what the financial burden was to you what your insurance did not offset. Glad you are back though, that sounds awful.

So how does it work with leases, you paid 6 months of lease payments for a car that was in the shop and you see none of that money back? Curious what the financial burden was to you what your insurance did not offset. Glad you are back though, that sounds awful.

My i3 was rear-ended in similar fashion and it took 5.5 months for it to come back and I had to make the lease payments during that time.

Also,
1. It sucked so much to drive some loaner muscle car during that time that I ordered a Model S.
2. They shipped the i3 around to 3 different BMW dealers in a 200 mile radius to get it fixed and the process was much more painful than the OP's experience with Tesla.
3. It came back with a dead 12v battery and a badly attached wiper.
4. They (don't recall exactly who "they" are) were saying we could file a lawsuit against the driver who rear-ended the car to recoup the lease payments. I don't know if that was doable, but we decided against it because the (teenage) driver was already under-insured and had totaled her car in the accident.

Well I have a unpleasant update.

As you recall, my car was rear-ended the day after I took delivery. It was in the body shop for 6 months, and of course I had a crappy ice rental car during that time. I finally got the car back a few weeks ago, but because of alignment and a couple small issues i noticed, I took the car to the Buena Park SC. Took 3 weeks to get the appointment. That was Friday.

They called me this morning and told me several things need to be fixed, and they are sending it to the body shop near the service center. Sounds like they need to redo some panels and replace some hinges and stuff. Estimated time for repair is 3+ weeks. The hard part is that I'm in a literally filthy ice rental car again because there aren't any Tesla loaners available. No Tesla loaners available anytime in the near future, they told me.

I do appreciate the fact that they inspected the car thoroughly and found things they want to repair. The service advisor has been pleasant to speak with. But for someone who has waited 6 months in a rental for his Tesla to be repaired at the body shop, being stuck with a non-Tesla rental car for another month is really tough. In addition, the car was filthy and empty on gas when they gave it to me.

So far, I've made monthly lease payments for 8 months, and had only had my car for 3 weeks TOTAL.

Ugh.

@tchockie, make sure you get the at-fault driver (or his insurance) to:
Pay for loss of use - the difference between the monthly cost of the POS ICE rental provided and your monthly lease payments or pay for a COMPARABLE substitute vehicle. You shouldn't be in a compact ICE.

Pay for DIMINISHED VALUE. That's going to be huge, given the severity of the damage.

Best of luck settling the case, but from what you've posted here you've got a very good case.

Same thing happened to me in a brand new MB year 2000. I went to a lawyer due to the fact that the guy had minimum insurance and tried for diminished value. It turns out at that time no DV in California. Guy had 5000.00 in insurance damage to car 40,000.00. I paid cash so couldn't give it back to bank. Just pull your hair out and make sure the repairs are done only by Tesla. Dealer would take it back after repair for 10,000.00 in back of book. Just bite your butt a few more times and get on top of this from the start. Sorry.