Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up Raven Long Range, Returned 2016 75D - First Thoughts...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lease was up on my 75D after 3 years. Got a new Raven Long Range. Midnight Silver with White Interior and the 21inch Sonic Carbon wheels. Didn't opt for FSD. After driving last night and this morning, here's some thoughts about the transition from the old car to the new :

1. Seats are more comfortable and have more cushion all around. I always though the seats on the 2016 were pretty comfortable but these are a notch above.

2. The screen seems to have higher resolution and when I zoom in or out or move the map with my fingers, the screen definitely responds more quickly.

3. Backup camera is now HD. Noticeably sharper image.

4. Equalizer for Radio uses 1-8 scale instead of 1-12. Seems to sound the same so not sure if it's any different.

5. Acceleration is even more ridiculous. Some slight torque steer when I mash it but it's still very smooth.

6. Adaptive suspension is really really really good. The car stays level in hard corners and although I went from 19" wheels to 21" wheels, the overall ride is noticeably smoother.

7. The floor mats still suck.

8. I miss my sunroof already. I know they got rid of the option to make the production line more efficient but I loved the wide open feeling when the roof was all the way open. The glass roof is fine and dandy but it's just not the same as the sunroof.

9. Because of the tax treatment of leasing vs. buying (I'm self-employed), I leased it. My payment is $1,300 a month, 15,000 miles a year. I put down the $2,500 deposit and then another $1,600 at delivery. My 75D was also a 15,000 mile/year lease and my payment was $1,250. Pretty much same out of pocket up front. For only a measly $50 a month more, I'm getting 370 miles of range compared to 240 miles, 21" rims instead of 19", and quicker acceleration. Can't complain about that!

10. Not being able to have auto-park and summon without purchasing FSD is B-S. I used both features all the time on my 75D and will absolutely miss having those options. I would have paid $1,000 more for that but certainly not $6,000 more. Tesla should unlock both features...

11. I haven't had enough time with auto-pilot to provide meaningful feedback. I used it all the time on the old car so I plan on using it quite a bit on this one.

12. Overall I am thrilled to have a newer version of my favorite car I've ever driven. Before the Tesla I drove two 7 series, a 5 series and an Audi A8. None of them were as fun to drive day in and day out as the Tesla. I am an EV car guy for life now and am just as excited to drive my new Long Range for the next 3 years as I was for my 75D.

Me too. My 2016 MS75 is up in December, but I’m already over miles and really want to have some time to drive it before winter.

My sunroof leaks but I still love it. I’m driving around every minute I can bc in a few weeks it’s going to be gone forever. :(

How do the new Vegan seats compare with (what I assume were) Leather Next-Gen from your 75D?
A lease just wouldn't work for me, I drive too much (50-mile commute each way).

Now that I have more time with the new car, I REALLY like the new seats. Much much more cushiony feel to them. Lots of support especially on the sides bolsters. Also the head rests can go up down controlled by the round lumbar button.

Lease was up on my 75D after 3 years. Got a new Raven Long Range. Midnight Silver with White Interior and the 21inch Sonic Carbon wheels. Didn't opt for FSD. After driving last night and this morning, here's some thoughts about the transition from the old car to the new :

1. Seats are more comfortable and have more cushion all around. I always though the seats on the 2016 were pretty comfortable but these are a notch above.

2. The screen seems to have higher resolution and when I zoom in or out or move the map with my fingers, the screen definitely responds more quickly.

3. Backup camera is now HD. Noticeably sharper image.

4. Equalizer for Radio uses 1-8 scale instead of 1-12. Seems to sound the same so not sure if it's any different.

5. Acceleration is even more ridiculous. Some slight torque steer when I mash it but it's still very smooth.

6. Adaptive suspension is really really really good. The car stays level in hard corners and although I went from 19" wheels to 21" wheels, the overall ride is noticeably smoother.

7. The floor mats still suck.

8. I miss my sunroof already. I know they got rid of the option to make the production line more efficient but I loved the wide open feeling when the roof was all the way open. The glass roof is fine and dandy but it's just not the same as the sunroof.

9. Because of the tax treatment of leasing vs. buying (I'm self-employed), I leased it. My payment is $1,300 a month, 15,000 miles a year. I put down the $2,500 deposit and then another $1,600 at delivery. My 75D was also a 15,000 mile/year lease and my payment was $1,250. Pretty much same out of pocket up front. For only a measly $50 a month more, I'm getting 370 miles of range compared to 240 miles, 21" rims instead of 19", and quicker acceleration. Can't complain about that!

10. Not being able to have auto-park and summon without purchasing FSD is B-S. I used both features all the time on my 75D and will absolutely miss having those options. I would have paid $1,000 more for that but certainly not $6,000 more. Tesla should unlock both features...

11. I haven't had enough time with auto-pilot to provide meaningful feedback. I used it all the time on the old car so I plan on using it quite a bit on this one.

12. Overall I am thrilled to have a newer version of my favorite car I've ever driven. Before the Tesla I drove two 7 series, a 5 series and an Audi A8. None of them were as fun to drive day in and day out as the Tesla. I am an EV car guy for life now and am just as excited to drive my new Long Range for the next 3 years as I was for my 75D.

Congrats! I agree about the sunroof. What an absolute shame it was removed :(

I just can't imagine making the switch if it means I will no longer have a sunroof. Today is 80 and sunny and what a perfect day to enjoy fresh air and sunshine. I wish they would bring the sunroof back, better than ever.

Congrats! To be fair, as far as I can tell, auto-park is currently not a working feature on Ravens right now. I came from a 2016 75D with FSD to the Long Range Raven and I find that auto-park can only see 1% of legitimate opportunities vs. the HW 2.0 model maybe closer to 50% to 75%. Although Raven is smoother with lane keeping, it does feel a little brain dead vs HW 2.0 to the point that I am not using Autopilot until the software 10 update with hopes that HW gets some intelligence. So I think that the build quality of Raven is quite awesome, HW 3.0 is a pretty big disappointment (basically a regression in all aspects to HW 2.0).