Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up X100D Saturday, went to service Tuesday!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We picked up our beautiful Model X 100D on Saturday. My husband spent alot of time making sure the car was in top shape before signing anything. He used the checklist that is available online. We left the dealership ecstatic. We installed the car seats when we get home and decide to take for a spin. I am driving, hubby in passenger and kids in back. The red air bag notification pops on during our 15 minute drive. We take it in Tuesday and there is some sort of connector problem underneath the seat. They are keeping the car for an unknown amount of time. They said they may have to replace the harness.

To be honest, I was prepared for a squeaky window or misaligned something. But I never expected something as serious as the air bags not being able to be deployed. They had no loaner Teslas available, so we ended up with a BMW. To say we are disappointed is an understatement. Anybody heard of this light warning? Before we brought the car in, service requested my husband look under the seats for loose connectors. We found one that wasn't connected to anything.

So, we spent so much money (blue color, carbon microfiber finish) and do not have the car. Pretty disappointed. This is our primary family car: soccer/car pools, road trips, etc.

First off congrats on new X!!! ..., from reading the numerous “problem” threads on forums I don’t recall seeing your specific issue..that said it doesn’t seem to be a difficult fix ...although the safety side of not having air bags ...would definitely be concerning

Too bad you didn’t get an equivalent loaner, which would have helped some, but hopefully it will be fixed soon. Once the initial kinks are out, you will be fine. Have had mine (same color as yours!) ten months with no issues after delivery.

Hang in there!

Good luck with yours and hate to find more people I can empathize with. It may be possible they forgot to install an airbag. Our new car delivered two weeks ago didn't have jackpads installed so when we got a flat...we were SOL. We also have a laundry list of other issues. Hope you get your car and have a good experience overall. We are awaiting ours after its second trip to service in less than two weeks.

I had a similar problem with my BMW i3. Seatbelt/airbag warning light kept coming on. Because it is a safety issue they have no option but to take the car in. Mine was a persistent issue. Into BMW for 4 times total 30+days. BMW had to buy the car back--CA lemon laws are tough when related to repeated safety issues. Actually got a Full price check--enough to buy another i3 with many upgrades. Never had the issue again. Tesla has always been good at fixing my issues. Good luck--you have great car. These issues happen to all car companies--but we expect more--as we should from Tesla.

Congrats on the new car and good luck. Sounds like a simple fix. I am currently on a Cadillac XTS rental they gave me for my service. To my surprise it’s much quieter than my X that has many body flexing clicking/popping noises.

Can't believe an air-bag problem - I never ever heard of such a problem. But I am impressed that someone warned you so fast.

Takata Recall Spotlight
14 automakers list more models in Takata air bag recall
Guess I was wrong - seems about 27 million being re-called - wonder what they get for loaners? perhaps they fix in hours? Just shows yet again how Tesla is failing. Where are the short sellers when you need them to protects us from corporate fraud??

Thankful you found a dealer to fix your problem.

</sarcasm>

• Funny
Reactions: rush6410 and gavine
Thanks for the replies. We are supposed to know more tomorrow. We are hoping to get car back for the weekend. It was such a hype to get it and now its like just a figment of our imagination. The kids were all super excited and now they kinda don't care anymore.

Our S 100D had a similar issue last year. We thought we did a thorough inspection before accepting delivery - and missed that the power adjustments on the front passenger seat weren't working. We called Tesla and they initially indicated they may have to order a new seat from the factory. We brought the car into the service center - and it turned out just to be a loose connector. They made an adjustment - and 25K miles later, haven't had the problem recur.

Sounds like the OP's issue may be different a lose connector or wire somewhere. Future failure of the air bags is a big deal - and if they decide to take the more conservative route - and replace the harness, even though that will take longer for the repair - that's likely the safer strategy.

We had some frustrations with the transport of the X 100D we purchased two weeks ago - and were pretty frustrated with Tesla's inability to determine where our X was actually located and when it would arrive at our Service Center for delivery (it took 3 days longer for it to arrive than their tracking system was reporting). But now that we've had our new X for two weeks, that frustration has faded quickly - replaced by having the "Tesla grin" every time we drive the X.

Hopefully the Service Center is able to get the issue fixed quickly - and get the new X back to the OP soon...

Reactions: Mrcook4590
Hi. So apparently, it was some sort of circuit near the bumper? The service guy told my husband that it did not compromise the air bags and was a faulty sensor. My husband did drive it to service. It is about 20 minutes from our house. It probably wasn't the safest thing but he just did it. They are supposed to get whatever part on Wednesday and fingers crossed, we will get the car for the following weekend. Maybe one day I can actually have my car.

Reactions: P85_DA
After two disappointing weeks with many "fixable" issues in our ordered / custom spec car, we had our Model X returned to us with a scratched wheel by the local service center and another alarming finding as follows:

We took the car for an estimate for a ceramic pro / film shop that has worked on numerous other cars for us. They pointed out the numerous swirl marks and orange peel that the car came with and seems to be redeemable but the owner of the shop also was concerned that the car was repainted. Its more evident in sunlight that the FLAT BLACK paint looks different in the panels and is tough to photograph with a phone. Pictures of paint depth as follows:

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

p5.jpg

p6.jpg

You can clearly see that the rear bumper of the car has almost 2.5x the depth of the rest of the car. Is this normal? We measured 2 different Porsches (991 / 981), a Chevy truck, and a Lexus LS and all the thickness was similar for the entirety of the other cars.

Im very concerned about our brand Tesla's quality and this apparent respray as no accident or respray was disclosed to us. This is a huge issue for me as when I've resold my luxury / sports cars in the past many dealers / personal buyers check the paint depth and this is largely misleading as our brand new car has not been in any accident or been repainted--to my knowledge. Exceptionally frustrated with the experience so far. I brought this up to the attention of the local dealership management and they promised a call back which never happened...

After two disappointing weeks with many "fixable" issues in our ordered / custom spec car, we had our Model X returned to us with a scratched wheel by the local service center and another alarming finding as follows:

We took the car for an estimate for a ceramic pro / film shop that has worked on numerous other cars for us. They pointed out the numerous swirl marks and orange peel that the car came with and seems to be redeemable but the owner of the shop also was concerned that the car was repainted. Its more evident in sunlight that the FLAT BLACK paint looks different in the panels and is tough to photograph with a phone. Pictures of paint depth as follows:

View attachment 315143

View attachment 315144
View attachment 315145
View attachment 315146
View attachment 315147
View attachment 315148

You can clearly see that the rear bumper of the car has almost 2.5x the depth of the rest of the car. Is this normal? We measured 2 different Porsches (991 / 981), a Chevy truck, and a Lexus LS and all the thickness was similar for the entirety of the other cars.

Im very concerned about our brand Tesla's quality and this apparent respray as no accident or respray was disclosed to us. This is a huge issue for me as when I've resold my luxury / sports cars in the past many dealers / personal buyers check the paint depth and this is largely misleading as our brand new car has not been in any accident or been repainted--to my knowledge. Exceptionally frustrated with the experience so far. I brought this up to the attention of the local dealership management and they promised a call back which never happened...
You already guessed it. They will say it is "normal" and within their specs. Like ghosting windshields, shudder, AC condenser/fan noise, misaligned panels, leather defects, heading etc.

I recently sent them a video w/ audio of my AC making hilarious loud noises that it had never made before (I've had the car for 18 months or so and 20k miles) and they replied "this is normal. you must not have noticed it before. we won't do anything."

Good luck.

With that dramatic a difference in paint thickness I would definitely believe that the car had been repainted. The question is, why? If they just repainted portions at the factory for quality purposes that’s still within the purview of normal manufacturing, albeit with a less than ideal outcome. If, on the other hand, the car was wrecked or something and repaired, that’s entirely a different thing. But how to know which might have occurred?

With that dramatic a difference in paint thickness I would definitely believe that the car had been repainted. The question is, why? If they just repainted portions at the factory for quality purposes that’s still within the purview of normal manufacturing, albeit with a less than ideal outcome. If, on the other hand, the car was wrecked or something and repaired, that’s entirely a different thing. But how to know which might have occurred?

Doors are a different material, that's where both teen paint numbers are reading.

Doesn't matter the entire car reads in the 130-160 range except for the back (included pics show the trunk as well as rear quarters)...I have dozens of pics I can post if you'd like as well as a video walk around of the whole car showing the same :(. The more I'm reading the more I'm sure its been repainted.