Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up X100D Saturday, went to service Tuesday!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't matter the entire car reads in the 130-160 range except for the back (included pics show the trunk as well as rear quarters)...I have dozens of pics I can post if you'd like as well as a video walk around of the whole car showing the same :(. The more I'm reading the more I'm sure its been repainted.

If that is true, the big issue is you'll never know why. If they didn't disclose to you already that it was repainted, I doubt you're going to know if it was just something off in the factory vs. the car was actually in an accident.

One one hand, even if the car was in an accident, there's no record of it because it was delivered as a new car with a clean record. So at least you won't take a loss on it from that angle when selling. Are you intending to flip the car within a few years so you are trying to maximize resale value? For me, I'm just going to try to keep the car at least 8 years (as long as extended warranty will cover me) and as long as possible after that. By then, I'm not sure issues as you are describing will affect the resale that much.

How concerned are you over this? My personal thought, is that I wouldn't be concerned. Does it look that different in person, or were you only really able to tell once your detailer was looking at it with you?

Anyway, good luck and let us know how it unfolds.

You already guessed it. They will say it is "normal" and within their specs. Like ghosting windshields, shudder, AC condenser/fan noise, misaligned panels, leather defects, heading etc.

I recently sent them a video w/ audio of my AC making hilarious loud noises that it had never made before (I've had the car for 18 months or so and 20k miles) and they replied "this is normal. you must not have noticed it before. we won't do anything."

Good luck.
My car started to have numerous clicking/popping/flexing noises a month after delivery. I just took my car in for the 2nd time (1st time the noise hasn't shown up yet). The tech rode with me and said these noises are normal for a Tesla and within spec because the X has a taller roof with more body flexes etc. I told him my 2016 Model X did not have these noises. It's constantly there like when I slow down or come to a stop. After 4 days at the SC the service advisor finally called to update me: they've insulated the dash, a pillar, etc. but the noise is still there. They are escalating the issue to engineering and I won't hear back until Monday. Well the last time my case escalated to engineering was my 2016 X that they purchased back. I really wish they can nail it down this time. Long story short, Tesla will try to address customer concerns but whether they can resolve it is another story.

As much as I tolerate Tesla quality issues, I am getting clicking-noise-phobia from this car. None of my other cars make these noises. Even the Cadillac XTS rental they provided for me is much better.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Radonculous
i would record that call when it comes :confused:

Doors are a different material, that's where both teen paint numbers are reading.

Really??? Cars are touched up all the time and end buyers never know about it... Now we're resorting to paint depth sensors...???

What am I not getting here???

Jeff

:(

OP gas three threads of bad luck with his Tesla ...

Our original intention was keep car and buy the extended warranty so we are good for a long period of time; however, I definitely have a concern when it comes to resell because given our numerous issues. We just traded one of our Porsches last week to the dealership and the whole deal was contingent on my car not have had any paint / body work so they took a paint meter to the car (which I've seen done when I've sold other cars). I'm not sure if this was touched up or there was more extensive work. It is quite clear in the sun that the paint is far from perfect and you can tell the panels apart. Is it more obvious now that my detail / paint protection shop pointed it out to me--yes, would I have ultimately noticed it otherwise--most probably. I've not even spent much time actually in the damn car or even looking at it because its always in service and I've had a busy personal / work life as of late.

I'm losing faith in the car and frankly all of Tesla when the more I look into the car the more issues I find.

Reactions: GayForEllon
That's normal...

My last new Porsche definitely was in an accident, or something. It literally came in pieces and I had to reassemble it myself, no help from Porsche service whatsoever! Thank's Porsche!

Here is a picture of how I've gotten it:
Lego_Porsche_911_GT3_RS_Verpackung.jpg

Tesla utilizes vigorous and over the top safety testing at the factory. every car is wrecked on their test track in order to prove that it meets safety standards. Body panels are then
replaced with damaged-then-refurbished body panels from prior tests. Every vehicle has to pass the Damaged Panel Tolerance test (DPT(tm))

So no worries, your car may not have been wrecked, some other guys car was wrecked, you just have his body panels.
:)

Yikes—

Given some of your early issues, apparent lack of faith in Tesla (which will always impact your view) and perhaps your particular personality, you’re probably right, this will not be the vehicle for you.

Tesla’s approach & work force are just not in the same league as the Germans, particularly Porsche (although given our experience with Porsche’s delayed handling of dangerous gas leak and airbag recalls & Porsche of Naples service, I’d never buy another Porsche, nor recommend one).

Perhaps it’s just me being lucky or my approach to issues with their staff, but Tesla’s service has been terrific over my two years of X ownership. Ranger performance and/or flatbed to Dania Beach for major work (annual service) has been timely/great and when I had an issue with my AC up in N.C., Tesla-Charlotte turned it around in a day!

FWIW: Porsche Cayenne-Panamera or BMW X5 may be a better solution for you.

Of course, Bentley has a new SUV so there’s that.

Yea definitely thinking to go that route because I don't see another way they can replace panels. Its not acceptable to pay 100k plus to me and have numerous imperfections let alone concern that the car was repainted / damaged at the factory.
If you tell them a $100k+ car should have better paint quality, they'll likely say that as an "electric vehicle many of its features and mechanics run very differently to other ICE vehicles of a similar price point." Paint is, like, a feature, maaaannnnn.

If you tell them a $100k+ car should have better paint quality, they'll likely say that as an "electric vehicle many of its features and mechanics run very differently to other ICE vehicles of a similar price point." Paint is, like, a feature, maaaannnnn.

Wow...haha, you sound like you work for them...thats exactly what I anticipated they will say...

• Funny
Reactions: R.S and P85_DA